Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garryowen

• 31-01-2016 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭

What's it like to live there these days? Is it way rougher? I was living there in the 80s and it was perfectly fine, lovely neighbours etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I wouldn't say it's extremely rough by any means but i'd imagine for most buying a house or renting it would be very low on the list of desirable places to move to. Have family up there and they like it, been there years.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

My family is originally from there and always have great things to say about the area.
    My girlfriend and her family has been living there for the last 3 years, majority of the time it is a perfectly nice area, friendly neighbours etc.
    Recently a pizza box was set on fire on their doorstep, going back a couple of months the house was battered with eggs and stones (not around Halloween time). About a year ago too, stones and rocks battered off the windows on a couple of occasions.
    There is always massive groups of youths wandering the streets, drinking, getting up to no good, on Friday and Saturday nights especially, but you have that nearly everywhere these days!
    But in saying that I wouldn't class it as a rough area by any means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

It depends - Garryowen is pretty big so I am sure there are parts that are quite different to others.

There was a well documented case up there in recent years where a select number of people caused absolute mayhem for their neighbours by all accounts. There was even write-ups in the Post and Leader about all the problems they were causing.

There was also a lot of reports in the media and social media about the problems caused by large groups of teenagers engaged in anti-social behaviour.

So I would say if you avoided this stuff you'd think the place was grand, but if you were on the receiving end of it your opinion could be very different.

It depends - Garryowen is pretty big so I am sure there are parts that are quite different to others.

There was a well documented case up there in recent years where a select number of people caused absolute mayhem for their neighbours by all accounts. There was even write-ups in the Post and Leader about all the problems they were causing.

There was also a lot of reports in the media and social media about the problems caused by large groups of teenagers engaged in anti-social behaviour.

So I would say if you avoided this stuff you'd think the place was grand, but if you were on the receiving end of it your opinion could be very different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Smacs89 wrote: »
    My family is originally from there and always have great things to say about the area.
    My girlfriend and her family has been living there for the last 3 years, majority of the time it is a perfectly nice area, friendly neighbours etc.
    Recently a pizza box was set on fire on their doorstep, going back a couple of months the house was battered with eggs and stones (not around Halloween time). About a year ago too, stones and rocks battered off the windows on a couple of occasions.
    There is always massive groups of youths wandering the streets, drinking, getting up to no good, on Friday and Saturday nights especially, but you have that nearly everywhere these days!
    But in saying that I wouldn't class it as a rough area by any means.

Everything you described in your post outlines the place as a rough area.......

How can you class a place that has had pizza boxes left burning at your door and stones or whatever thrown at your house multiple times not as a rough area?!!? This is not normal behavior IMHO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Smacs89

davo2001 wrote: »
    Everything you described in your post outlines the place as a rough area.......

How can you class a place that has had pizza boxes left burning at your door and stones or whatever thrown at your house multiple times not as a rough area?!!? This is not normal behavior IMHO!

The groups of youths that are causing this are not necessarily from the area. They might be, but they also might not be.
    I agree that the behaviour above isn't normal behaviour but I wouldn't define it as rough.
    It would all depend in what you would define as "Rough". Break-ins, stabbings, stealing cars, murders, etc.

Smacs89 wrote: »
    The groups of youths that are causing this are not necessarily from the area. They might be, but they also might not be.
    I agree that the behaviour above isn't normal behaviour but I wouldn't define it as rough.
    It would all depend in what you would define as "Rough". Break-ins, stabbings, stealing cars, murders, etc.

Well Garryowen has had its share and more of the above.

It is not the worst part of Limerick but I don't think it would be unfair to say it is rough around the edges.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Lyra Fangs

What's it like to live there these days? Is it way rougher? I was living there in the 80s and it was perfectly fine, lovely neighbours etc.

I'm actually from Garryowen originally. It definitely wouldn't be somewhere I'd consider buying a house and settling down and 90% of my family live there.

I wouldn't describe it as extremely rough but it's got its problems. Joy riding, stolen cars, burnt out cars in the green, anti-social teenagers..

I never felt unsafe there but I was glad to put it behind me when I moved out.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me!

Advertisement