Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you blacklist a sim-free phone?

Options
  • 31-01-2016 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭

I'm in China at the moment and lost my iPhone. I'm insured for loss but my insurance company wants proof I have had the phone blacklisted.

Does anyone know how to do this or if it's even possible? I thought blacklisting only works if you bought the phone from a network- mine is sim-free and was purchased directly from Apple.

Having a bit of a nightmare as they're also requesting a loss number from the police- major hassle due to language barrier. Also I think it's wasting police time as it's not a crime.

But yeah, blacklisting- would be great if I didn't have to attempt to speak to my mobile operator here! Anyone any ideas? Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bisounours

Do you have the IMEI number ? Apple can blacklist the phone for you provided the phone is registered to you. ( they'll be able to look that up on their system)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

In theory blacklisting is done by ringing up your SIM provider, telling them your phone was stolen and requesting it to be added to the blacklist database. You will give the IMEI code of the handset and it will be added to the database and most operators should block the phone.
    I did say in theory, as most operators I've dealt with or worked with don't do this by default.
    Also very few operators seem to heed this database. It may be better business not to.
    The chances of a Chinese operator using this database is even less.

Can you create a "stolen" phone report instead?

Advertisement