Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of boss would do this?

Options
  • 31-01-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

So I'm in my job 6 years now this March and Ive never really got on with my boss nor him me. I found him a bully when I started and it took me about 2 years of putting up with it before we had a big argument and that kind of cooled the jets but after a while hes back to micro managing me, dismissing my ideas and generally piling on unreasonable work. He treats a lot of people like this so I'm pretty sure its not personal, hes just an abrasive guy.

So I went for a senior engineering position and I didn't get it, fair enough that happens but I overheard the managers at lunch saying (call my boss John and me Ken) "Oh John wont let Ken go that easy, hes wasting his time trying to move up", that really shocked me. THe way I see it, I don't get on with him, he doesn't like me and its not as if ANYBODY is so important in their role that they cant be replaced. And apparently he has done this before (blocking people leaving his team) to both people he gets on with and others he doesn't. Any idea why a person would behave in this baffling manner, I'm lost??

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Youngblood.III

Mine did...I left.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Probably just a business decision in his mind.. like them or not, good team members make a managers life easier, some don't like to loose this as they have to train up and take a gamble on new team members.. Its particularly prevalent where the managers performance review hinges on the outcomes of the team overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I inform him of his way of dealling with staff...nothing happened..i've ingorm his superiors...some happen...he started again..i've inform the union..or workplace relations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Either ask him what the story is with what you heard, do nothing about it or leave are your options really in all this.

Advertisement