Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone

Options
  • 31-01-2016 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am looking for a telephone that can transfer calls across to another phone, like when a secretary takes a call then transfers it in to the office once the person on the other end gives the go ahead. Not sure what to look for on the net - any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Encoder1970

We have Alcatel phones at the office and can do this. Maybe it needs to be set up in the company phone system, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What you're looking for is a gadget that can handle one or more external telephone lines and several internal extensions, it's known as a private (automated) branch exchange and this is typically abbreviated as 'PBX' or 'PABX' so the answer to your question is that you need to buy a PBX. It's not a mass market device so don't expect it to be dirt cheap - it's basically a device for small businesses.

In a domestic environment you could consider buying a cordless system with 3-4 portable handsets, that would be a cheaper way to do it. For an office with desktop extension phones, the PBX is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

Ok, thanks a million - looks fairly heavy duty. My business partner want's to eventually use Twilio for all this but I don't think it is robust enough yet for something so important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

If you have voip already look at a cisco spa9000, get em on ebay for around 40 bucks. But you would need ip telephones to go with it

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Robroy36

I got a quote of €800 to get this system set up. Seems pretty steep.

I use Virgin / UPC - this is a VOIP service AFAIK?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its VOIP, but they convert it to regular POTS within their modem so you can't access it as VOIP, only like a regular phone line.

Business customers can pay extra though for access to real VOIP from them.

If they're installing a proper extendable PABX and wiring it out to two-three points then it doen't sound unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ED E wrote: »
    If they're installing a proper extendable PABX and wiring it out to two-three points then it doen't sound unreasonable.

+1 OP I did point out above that this is not mass market (consumer) kit, it was never going to be cheap.

Advertisement