Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fly fishing venue early April

• 31-01-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

I will be back in Ireland for a weeks hols first week of April. Looking for recommendations of venues that could fish well that time of year. Any species I can throw a fly at really. Guided or solo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

Where in the country will you be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

I can be anywhere. Will be visiting family in the west but after that I'm free to go wherever.

Auldloon wrote:
    I can be anywhere. Will be visiting family in the west but after that I'm free to go wherever.

I'd definitely fish the Suir in Cahir. Be prepared for any conditions, may need to switch from drys to nymphs at a moments notice that time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Carrowmore will have a few salmon in, won't be too far away.
    Mask and Corrib will also fish I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

If you fancy a semi-catered experience then I would suggest trying out the salmon fishing on the Waterford Blackwater with Glenda Powell? (http://www.ireland-salmon-fishing.net/). Lovely lady (former member of the Irish fly fishing team and a distance casting champion) and fantastic river.

<edit> It occurs to me to wonder if posting about specific service providers is against the charter. If it is then I fully understand this post being snipped </edit>

• Advertisement

BrownTrout wrote: »
    I'd definitely fish the Suir in Cahir. Be prepared for any conditions, may need to switch from drys to nymphs at a moments notice that time of year.
    River fishing for brown trout would be what I'm most experienced in I guess, but on Scottish rivers which are snow fed so prob a fair bit colder. That time of year would you expect much fish activity?
    Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Carrowmore will have a few salmon in, won't be too far away.
    Mask and Corrib will also fish I'd say.
    I've fished corrib a few times before and would love to fish mask so that could be the ticket.
    Carrowmore I know nothing about. Is it double handed stuff cause I won't have the double hander with me.
    Evac101 wrote: »
    If you fancy a semi-catered experience then I would suggest trying out the salmon fishing on the Waterford Blackwater with Glenda Powell? (http://www.ireland-salmon-fishing.net/). Lovely lady (former member of the Irish fly fishing team and a distance casting champion) and fantastic river

<edit> It occurs to me to wonder if posting about specific service providers is against the charter. If it is then I fully understand this post being snipped </edit>

Looks very interesting! Looking at the catch reports for previous years it looks like the first fly caught salmon seem to appear early April? Would that sound right? I might be a bit early then do you think?

Auldloon wrote:
    River fishing for brown trout would be what I'm most experienced in I guess, but on Scottish rivers which are snow fed so prob a fair bit colder. That time of year would you expect much fish activity?

Yeah! Fish will be trying to put on as much weight as possible so will be feeding pretty much throughout the day.

Fly activity will dictate your tactics though which is why I'm suggesting you be comfortable fishing both dries and nymphs.

Wets will work well also when you see fly coming off the water but don't see the fish actively feeding on the surface.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Fishing Mask out of somewhere like Ballinrobe should see you pick up a few fish.

Carrowmore is out of a boat, same gear as your trout fishing, I use a 10ft 6wt or 7wt. It has a good run of Spring salmon and is a very enjoyable lough to fish.

What about saltwater? Any suggestions? Bass, pollock?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 murph157

BrownTrout wrote: »

Second the Suir suggestion, would be a good bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement