Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircode

Options
  • 31-01-2016 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭

I was just wondering if anybody knew of a GPS system for a car that has built in Eircode?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Havn't seen it on anything yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

On TomTom forum there are a couple of threads about it, the feedback from TomTom is that it maybe hard to implemant, but that is I think because they are thinking of IrishCodes or whatever it was

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

I saw those threads on the TomTom forums and they do seem to be getting Eircode confused go code, the thread is over 6 months old and they don't seem to have made any progress or decision, a pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

I heard someone from Eircode on the Today show on RTE 2/3 weeks ago
    and he said that they were in active discussions with SatNav providers, Google maps etc.

I'd say it will be 2017 before it's on SatNavs and maybe sooner for Google maps
    when at least you will be able get coordinates and use them with your present Satnav

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Forget Eircode, use Loc8 codes instead. Unlike Eircode it works and is easy to use and is supported by Garmin and Tomtom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Fireman1

I see that for the last week or more eircodes are working with Google maps.

On an Android phone install google maps. Then enter the Eircode in the search bar and you will get directions from your present location to the Eircode you entered. Happy Days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You can have http://what3words.com on your watch now

- w3w works with the official Ireland code - Eircode

https://twitter.com/what3words/status/643551221291290624

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Impetus

If eircodes were to be loaded on a GPS, the database would be larger than the rest of Europe's postcodes together. Ireland is a tiny market for GPS devices, and has the most overweight code "system" on the planet.

In Britain, GPSs only take the first portion of the code followed by the sector number eg NW3 1 (for NW3 1TT). However out of date and ill-conceived the British postcode system is (it was designed for computerized mail sorting in the 1960s where machines had 4k of RAM etc), it is not randomized like the Eircode. eg NW3 1TT is close to NW3 1TR in GB. So a GPS database down to NW3 1 level is good enough to get you near.

The Netherlands is the only other country with a high resolution code - similar to Britain's in terms of one code covers about 20 odd houses, the Dutch system can be fine tuned by adding the house number
    eg: 1000 AA Amsterdam is perhaps 20 addresses on a street. So you can enter 1000 AA 26 and you have uniquely identified house number 26 on the street covered by 1000 AA. This Dutch coding system is also compatible with the normal European (and largely global) postcode systems, as it begins with a four digit number before the town name. Internationally the AA bit in 1000 AA can be ignored.

In Ireland T12 AAAA (if it exists) could be at the other side of the city to T12 AAAB, due to code randomization.

DHL, Fedex and UPS do not use the eircode. If you try and enter the eircode on an AWB, the system strips it out. These companies were clamoring for a postcode for Ireland. The eircode is not a usable postcode.

Even An Post don't seem to use the eircode. I say this because I have had numerous letters with the street name, house number (or po box number) followed by the eircode and town - which should be enough for any postal service. Quite often there are handwritten notes on the envelope with irrelevant additions - such as the name of the delivery office. The routing code (first three characters) of the eircode points to a unique delivery office.

Eircode is probably the most expensive postcode on the planet (and certainly is per capita) and the least used and useful. The politicians and permanent government who were doggedly behind it (with no seeking of views from business and other users) should be ashamed of themselves, and should be fired with no pension! The prime mover behind the eircode was the CSO, and they are now finding out it does not work. See the item on house prices in Saturday's (22.10.2016) Irish Times. You must have a street name and house number for every building (eg household, business, government office, even An Dail. There is no getting away from it.

Advertisement