Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Terry Retiring

• 31-01-2016 8:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

http://www.football365.com/news/first-cecil-now-this-terry-confirms-chelsea-exit

Well, John Terry is retiring at the end of the season. Fantastic defender and captain. There are so many defenders out there now that could do with studying him and how he positions himself and reads danger. Brilliant captain too, the exact sort of player you want leading your team out.
    Controversial as all hell though. Very unlikeable person with a terrible record (wayne bridge ahem..) and will unfortunately be remembered for a lot of the bad as well as the good (how long until someone posts up that penalty miss? :p ) but he won it all and imo was forced out of the England team far too early.
    Personally Im glad to see him go as I can't stand him but credit where its due, hell of a career and hell of a player and will rightfully be looked back as one of England and the Premier Leagues best ever defenders

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Not retiring, leaving Chelsea
    “Unfortunately it was a no. It’s not going to be a fairytale ending, I’m not going to retire at Chelsea. It’s going to be elsewhere which it took me a couple of days to get over.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

thats what happens when you only read the top of an article :p

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fancies some MLS money obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I could see a move to Spain/Italy for Terry this summer.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'd be very surprised if it wasn't MLS, or less likely, one of the rich leagues in Asia.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Best ever Premier League CB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

SlickRic wrote: »

1485.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

MLS/retiring.

Tomayto/tomahto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fantastic centre back,horrible human.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,634 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chelsea legend, fantastic player, who will probably end up in MLS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Nope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Tony Adams was better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A hideous, loathsome man but the best CB of the Premier League era IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I nearly had to be hospitalised after he slipped and missed his penalty in the CL final.

Multiple time Premier League winner.
    Champions League winner.
    Multiple time FA Cup winner.
    Multiple time UEFA defender of the year.
    Symbol for his club.
    78 England caps.

Brave.
    Inspiring.
    Can play, not just defend.

It's not at all a jump to call him the best PL CB ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭collie0708

I nearly had to be hospitalised after he slipped and missed his penalty in the CL final.

That would be my favourite John Terry moment :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Champions League winner.
    Symbol for his club.
    78 England caps.

Brave.
    Inspiring.

Pretty much what I came to post. Like all the great hes spent his pretty much entire career playing at a really high and consistent level.

I reckon and its a guess, hes kicked up a fuss since Jose was sacked and is getthing a very raw deal by the club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

5starpool wrote: »
    Fancies some MLS money obviously.

I'm as happy to bash John Terry as the next man, but I think that's being quiet cynical.

Retiring is a big decision for anyone, in any walk of life. Football is all he has known his entire adult life, can't blame any player for delaying calling it a day and wanting just another season or two. Besides, what he'll earn over there is pittance relative to what he's earned in his Chelsea career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,055 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A very good CB, but to say he was best in EPL history is a bit OTT.

One of the best English ones for sure. Bit of a last ditch defender, there would have been better readers of the game.

Seriously though, if he was a nice man, people would have no problem calling him the best PL defender ever.

That's the only reason anyone would baulk at the suggestion he might be the best ever.

I'm fully aware that the likes of Adams, Ferdinand and Vidic are in the discussion. But the fact he's in that discussion should mean calling him the best CB in PL history is not as ridiculous as some already seem to think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Thank you for Moscow JT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Champions League winner.
    Symbol for his club.
    78 England caps.

Brave.
    Inspiring.

He has the record of scoring the most EPL goals for a defender also doesn't he?

Fantastic CB definitely in the mix as one of the best PL CB's alright....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,850 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Yeh maybe
    BMJD wrote: »
    1485.gif
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    Nope.

How can you two be so dismissive of the argument? He's certainly up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Head and shoulders the best cb of the premier league era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A wonderful player and still performing well. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up at another top European club but most likely will be MLS.

I agree with the statement of best Premier League CB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

John Terry getting sent off against Barca for giving Sanchez a blantant dead leg and declaring to Geoff Shreeves that "he's not that type of player" was the greatest moment in English football history. The lack of self-awareness was astounding.

Horrible man but it was refreshing to see the English media awkwardly mention off the pitch antics while he was fighting a losing battle to be English captain. Bar Ashley Cole we still get sold these images of English players being saints. And he was an absolutely stellar defender at his peak.

He will be missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Sol Campbell not getting a mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

collie0708 wrote: »
    That would be my favourite John Terry moment :D:D:D:D

Every time there's a very low point in my life that I need to shake out of my system I just go back to YouTube for that therapy.

Cracking player and leader on the field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Of course John Terry is in with a shout. This however:
    redzerdrog wrote: »
    Head and shoulders the best cb of the premier league era.

No. What made him so much better than Rio Ferdinand, for example? I'd find it hard to pick.

I can't believe his greatest moment hasn't been mentioned yet.

john-terry.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Full kit wanker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

21st May 2008 Moscow

Thanks for the memories John. Boy did I go into work next morning with the daddy of hangovers, but it was worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Of course John Terry is in with a shout. This however:

No. What made him so much better than Rio Ferdinand, for example? I'd find it hard to pick.

He scored some crucial goals in big matches. I wouldn't say he's much better than Rio or some others like Vidic but at his peek as an individual he was the best CB in Europe imo for multiple years, not just the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I have to agree, helped United win the CL.

https://twitter.com/NOT_MOTD/status/693913013724823552

Thank you, John Terry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

If I was grading defenders I'd give the likes of Nesta, Baresi, Maldini an A to an A+. In comparison, Terry would probably be a B-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

That's england braveheart john terry to you, peasants.

callaway92 wrote: »
    How can you two be so dismissive of the argument? He's certainly up there.

Because it's easier to go 'lol John Terry' than actually come up with an argument as to why he wouldn't be in the discussion.

He's done everything any other PL defender has done, and more.

You can make a case for Adams, Terry, Vidic or Ferdinand all quite easily without actually dismissing any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Easily the best CB of his era , stupid decision letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

A tale of two Terrys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Thread title feels misleading.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Thread title feels misleading.

Yeah retiring to stud :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

If I was grading defenders I'd give the likes of Nesta, Baresi, Maldini an A to an A+. In comparison, Terry would probably be a B-

Absolutely, for a long time Terry had a very average reading of the game which often led to some of his infamous latch ditch tackles. Carvalho was a far better natural defender than Terry and his influence on Terry was massive. However, he was a fantastic defender in his own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

If I was grading your post I'd give you an F.

Fifpro team of the year from 2004-2009

Ancellotti who managed multiple players you mentioned called him "the captain of captains" and one of the best players he's managed.

Capello said he was the only player he managed who didn't shrink when he put on the national jersey and quit his job after not being allowed to select him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

glued wrote: »
    Absolutely, for a long time Terry had a very average reading of the game which often led to some of his infamous latch ditch tackles. Carvalho was a far better natural defender than Terry and his influence on Terry was massive. However, he was a fantastic defender in his own right.

Yeah like last year for example :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Id be of the opinion that Terry was the best CB there's been in the Premier League also. Like everyone has said Adams, Ferdinand and Vidic were great also but nobody quite as dominant at the back as Terry. Left everything on the pitch every time he went out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Lukker- wrote: »
    If I was grading your post I'd give you an F.

Fifpro team of the year from 2004-2009

Ancellotti who managed multiple players you mentioned called him "the captain of captains" and one of the best players he's managed.

Capello said he was the only player he managed who didn't shrink when he put on the national jersey and quit his job after not being allowed to select him.

I'd say he is the best British based CB in the last decade.

Wouldn't put too much stock in world XI though. It's mostly about profile.

Also we could find glowing quotes about anyone really.

But I find it hard to see how someone could top him in the PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Barr wrote: »
    Yeah like last year for example :rolleyes:

Like I said for a long time ie he improved later on in his career. He actually became an excellent instinctive defender over the last few years. Around the time he came back after Rafa dropped him IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think he is the best centre back of the Premier league era. There were some other great ones but Terry for me would be alongside Schmeichel, Irwin, Keane and Henry as automatic picks for an all time EPL team.

I know he is not the most popular player with a lot of people because of some things he did both on and off the pitch but those things have no relevance as far as how good a footballer he was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,217 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Terry was never better then Rio imho, nor was he better then Thiago Silva so doesn't get in as the best in Europe, or indeed England at the peak of his powers even. As a leader however he was clearly a phenomenal one, he was inspirational to those around him and there has been many examples of this.

I think he is one of the best cb's of his generation, no doubt. He had weaknesses in his game, and he always found a way to compensate for them and in the end he became on of the most rounded centre backs to pull on an English jersey.

Can't say I'm shocked Chelsea aren't extending his contract but I am surprised the news has come now rather then at the end of the season, JT trying to put some pressure on the club to reconsider perhaps, with a comment like "there will be no fairytale ending" or whatever he said it would certainly seem so.

Anyway, one hell of a career, not a fan of what I know about him off the field but that's neither here nor there in this discussion. He can look back on his days at Chelsea with a huge amount of pride in what he achieved.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
Advertisement