Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Terry Retiring

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Good player, rated by Chelsea fans I guess as an all time great but tbh was some way off that. Was fortunate enough to be at Chelsea when they had the resources to spend big and pack the side with brilliant players, and with a coach that built a defensive strategy around his strengths and protected against his weaknesses. An undistinguished England career also doesn't reflect well on his greatness.
    Greatest EPL defender, I don't think do. For one Paul McGrath in his short time in the epl was a much more talented center back, even though his epl career was short (after Sly invented soccer in 92).
    In fact, I'd argue he wasn't even Chelsea's best centre back since 92, Marcel Desailly says hello.

I'm totally unbiased here being a United fan but this is some pile of dog doo imo. He stayed in that Chelsea side the same way people like Drogba did despite all the money spent and players brought in because he became part of the spine of the team, and probably the most influential part.

McGrath would never come into the conversation as the EPL's greatest ever CB if he wasn't for the fact that he is Irish, he underachieved massively because of his personal problems. To even compare the two is ridiculous. Desailly came to Chelsea past his prime, all he won in England was a single Fa Cup.

People can hate on the man for his ethics and all the bad stuff associated with him, but purely from a footballing and achievement standpoint I don't see how anyone can dismiss him in the conversation of best ever EPL defenders. In my eyes he's the best and people seem to have short memorys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Fifpro is a very good way to gauge how good a player is. It's picked by Professional footballers

Not sure about that.I'd imagine professionals wouldn't get to watch as many matches as people in the media and also some selections have almost certainly been based on reputation rather than performances throughout the year.

David Luiz appeared in the team in 2014.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'm totally unbiased here being a United fan but this is some pile of dog doo imo. He stayed in that Chelsea side the same way people like Drogba did despite all the money spent and players brought in because he became part of the spine of the team, and probably the most influential part.

McGrath would never come into the conversation as the EPL's greatest ever CB if he wasn't for the fact that he is Irish, he underachieved massively because of his personal problems. To even compare the two is ridiculous. Desailly came to Chelsea past his prime, all he won in England was a single Fa Cup.

People can hate on the man for his ethics and all the bad stuff associated with him, but purely from a footballing and achievement standpoint I don't see how anyone can dismiss him in the conversation of best ever EPL defenders. In my eyes he's the best and people seem to have short memorys.
    I'm not saying he was/is useless, far from it. It could be argued that he maximised the talent he had through his work rate etc, but the greatest.... I dunno. As I said, I'd argue in terms of raw talent, McGrath had more. So had Desailly, and he achieved more throughout his whole career and on the international stage. If it's just EPL, well John O'Shea has 5 epl medals, so what criteria us being used? He managed to stay in the team as you say, but any centre back worth his salt would have looked good surrounded by Cech, Desailly, Carvalho, Makelely et al.

I wonder did jt outstay his welcome, and did Roman decide that his 'leadership' of the dressing room was finally overshadowing his usefulness on the pitch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lukker- wrote: »
    Arsenal fans certainly like to vote and win polls.

All I'm saying is polls don't really give an accurate picture of anything, just who has the most fans on boards. Football fans are too tribal in general not to.

Its nice for them to win something.

I'm here all week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

To elaborate on my original comment now that i have the time.

I'm not saying JT is a bad player, in fact he would be in the top 3 center backs in the PL era IMO. Whether he's a good or bad person is irrelevant as well. I couldn't give a sh1t what a player is like off the pitch,

For me Rio Ferdinand is number 1, followed by Adams and then Terry. People forget that Rio played at the highest level for 14 years. He was a massive part of the Leeds team who got to the CL semi final and was the only player who went on to further success out of that squad.

He broke the British transfer record twice and the World transfer record for a defender twice. He won 6 PL titles, 1 CL winners medal, 4 league cups, a World Club Championship and 81 England Caps. He could defend, he could pass the ball, he could play football, score, lead and win.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    To elaborate on my original comment now that i have the time.

I'm not saying JT is a bad player, in fact he would be in the top 3 center backs in the PL era IMO. Whether he's a good or bad person is irrelevant as well. I couldn't give a sh1t what a player is like off the pitch,

For me Rio Ferdinand is number 1, followed by Adams and then Terry. People forget that Rio played at the highest level for 14 years. He was a massive part of the Leeds team who got to the CL semi final and was the only player who went on to further success out of that squad.

He broke the British transfer record twice and the World transfer record for a defender twice. He won 6 PL titles, 1 CL winners medal, 4 league cups, a World Club Championship and 81 England Caps. He could defend, he could pass the ball, he could play football, score, lead and win.

I would have Sami ahead of Rio myself, similar kind of intelligent footballer but also popped up with a few goals.

• niallo27 wrote: »
    I would have Sami ahead of Rio myself, similar kind of intelligent footballer but also popped up with a few goals.
    3211487.gif

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    3211487.gif

Controversial maybe but he was an incredible footballer who made the game look so easy. Scored over three times the amount Rio did playing for a lesser team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

niallo27 wrote: »
    Controversial maybe but he was an incredible footballer who made the game look so easy. Scored over three times the amount Rio did playing for a lesser team.

Didn't miss any drug tests either.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

sami hyypia is a tier below rio. both great players but one was quite clearly better than the other

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Sami Hyypia and Ledley King.

I mean for fuck sake.

Hyppia was incredibly consistent. His partnership with henchoz was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Didn't you see the gif posted?

What's incredible is someone saying "the partnership of the incredible Hyppia and Henchoz was incredible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,828 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Sami Hyypia and Ledley King.

I mean for fuck sake.

Well thannnnk you!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Despicable person. Ok he was a great centre back, but I would never want him at my club (at any stage of his career).
    Suited the "We're Chelsea we do what we want" mob but I certainly won't miss him.
    How anybody could ignore his thuggery on and off the pitch baffles me

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Despicable person. Ok he was a great centre back, but I would never want him at my club (at any stage of his career).
    Suited the "We're Chelsea we do what we want" mob but I certainly won't miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Very good player, but in terms of English CBs of the Premier League era, he's outside the top three of Rio, Sol and Adams.

He'll probably head to the MLS for bucket loads of money for a couple of years.

earlytobed wrote: »

I think I could ignore everything...but the racism.

I mean, if he has affairs or whatever, that's between him and his wife and the other woman/women.

But his racist streak, naaaaaaaa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Rio is overrated by the united fans on this forum. Understandable but true nonetheless. He wasn't half the ball playing defender he thought himself to be and relied on his pace more than most. When he lost that pace, and he lost it early due to his back issues, he got exposed constantly and the last few years of his career highlighted this over and over.

Slow defenders like Terry, Carragher, Hyypia were slow from the beginning so they had to develop other aspects of their game. When you don't have the physical ability to bail you out of trouble, you learn to read the game better. They don't have the pace to begin with so as they age, they don't suffer the same decline.

Terry will always be the better defender of the two. The fact that he was a bit of an arse off the field doesn't change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

A bit of pee actually came out. I'm surprised you didn't post this in the united forum, WUM of the year!

Is having a differing opinion being a wind up merchant now? :confused: Its not outlandish. He isn't saying he thinks Paul McShane is a better player....Hyypia is well respected and had a good career at a high level.

And you should go to the doctor with that bladder issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kirby wrote: »
    Rio is overrated by the united fans on this forum. Understandable but true nonetheless. He wasn't half the ball playing defender he thought himself to be and relied on his pace more than most. When he lost that pace, and he lost it early due to his back issues, he got exposed constantly and the last few years of his career highlighted this over and over.

Slow defenders like Terry, Carragher, Hyypia were slow from the beginning so they had to develop other aspects of their game. When you don't have the physical ability to bail you out of trouble, you learn to read the game better. They don't have the pace to begin with so as they age, they don't suffer the same decline.

Terry will always be the better defender of the two. The fact that he was a bit of an arse off the field doesn't change that.

Rio's best attributes were his positioning and reading of the game. So many attacks against United were broken up by Rio intercepting a pass and then starting the counter attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Its not just United fans, the fact you put Carragher and Hyypia in the same category as him is laughable tbh. Like I dont think Rio was the best for me that was Sol but still Carragher and Hyypia :pac:

I didn't put Hyypia or carragher in the same category. You clearly didn't read the post and just saw what you wanted.

I put Terry in a better category and used Carragher as an example of a slow defender in his youth who had to develop different aspects of the game because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Let me guess... Liverpool fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

5starpool wrote: »
    Fancies some MLS money obviously.

MLS teams are not in the habit of giving big money to DP Defenders(they prefer to spend their $$$ on midfielders/forwards).

Maybe NYCFC if they have any DP spots left or maybe the new team in Atlanta for 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm a United fan and I agree with this. I'd rather Terry over Rio. The way people describe Rio as a "Footballing centre half" would lead you to believe he ran the pitch and the squared the ball for somebody to tap the ball in the oppositions net. He was no better on the ball than Terry. Rio wasn't aggressive enough either. Very rarely attacked the ball, or threw himself in the way if he needed to. He needed a dominant centre half alongside him to do the dirty work. He relied far too much on his pace.

When the chips where down he went missing.

If an action could sum up Rio for me is when Torres was at Chelsea and he was pathetic and down on his luck. United were playing Chelsea at OT, the game when Torres missed a sitter. Rio came from behind, when the ball was no where near, and tripped / pushed Torress to the ground in front of the Stretford End. He hadn't the bottle to be doing things like that when Torres was at Anfield in front of the Kop ripping us apart! Passed him on to Vidic all the time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Danye wrote: »
    I'm a United fan and I agree with this. I'd rather Terry over Rio. The way people describe Rio as a "Footballing centre half" would lead you to believe he ran the pitch and the squared the ball for somebody to tap the ball in the oppositions net. He was no better on the ball than Terry. Rio wasn't aggressive enough either. Very rarely attacked the ball, or threw himself in the way if he needed to. He needed a dominant centre half alongside him to do the dirty work. He relied far too much on his pace.

What a ridiculous post. Rio didn't need to throw himself in the way because his reading of the game and positional sense meant that he stopped attacks long before they got to that last ditch sliding tackle shite that the John Terry's of this world have to resort to.

And the quip about Rio going missing is just cringeworthy, who even comes out with this rubbish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭Danye

What a ridiculous post. Rio didn't need to throw himself in the way because his reading of the game and positional sense meant that he stopped attacks long before they got to that last ditch sliding tackle shite that the John Terry's of this world have to resort to.

And the quip about Rio going missing is just cringeworthy, who even comes out with this rubbish?

It's nonsense about Rios reading of the game! Had pace to burn which got him out of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,977 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm not a United or Liverpool fan but I'd have Hyypia ahead of Rio. I'd have Vidic and Stam ahead of both of them though.

Terry as I've said earlier is for me the best central defender ever to play in the Premier league.

Oh and I'm not a Chelsea fan either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Terry has been the best defender in the PL. He may be an absolute shïtehawk but he's been a constant in a team which has consistently won silverware built on defending. Sure they scored plenty of goals (at their peak) but their defensive organisation is where everything was built and that was lead by Terry. He's been exposed this year but so would anyone when the players in front of him have downed tools, it looked like lads at 5 aside who just couldn't be arsed putting in a shift at times for them this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭peterswellman

Hyypia over Ferdinand, I've read it all now.

Advertisement