Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri795 Carlow 2016

Options
  • 31-01-2016 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Tri795 Carlow race entry is now open. This is a National Series event and will take place on Sunday May 22nd 2016. Entry is €50 (relay €70).

A couple of changes to note from last year (subject to final approvals):
    • swim route is slightly different this year, the upstream part of the swim will be shorter that that planned last year
    • the run route is a complete change from last year and will follow the river path for the most part, keeping away as much as possible from roads and footpaths

The bike route is much the same as last year.

Routes are available at the link above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

I really enjoyed it last year, so well organised for the first time the event was held.

I hear there are less than 100 places left !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Thanks Claude - I just signed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Word on the street is this is likely to be a duathlon unless we get a prolonged period of water-temperature-upness...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Kurt_Godel wrote: »
    Word on the street is this is likely to be a duathlon unless we get a prolonged period of water-temperature-upness...

How does that effect NS?

I'd say we will be ok though. Won't get w chance for Ow before the day so will be some shock for me. Although saying that I do hope it's a good swin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

How does that effect NS?

I'd say we will be ok though. Won't get w chance for Ow before the day so will be some shock for me. Although saying that I do hope it's a good swin

I was in the Irish sea on Sunday. Temperature was fine, certainly wouldn't see a problem with a 750m swim. We were in about 10 mins (500mish).

How does that effect NS?

NS points will still be determined by finish placings.

It will would be some shock for a lot of people who will also have it as first OW swim of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Ah surely lightening can't strike twice lkke last year after the last minute messing with the swim course to cater to people who can't swim upstream in the cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

As it should have been last year, still don't understand how they got away with it!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It is the first open water race of the season. If you are not comfortable swimming in cold water - do not enter an early season open water race. I'm sorry, but, it's a sprint. 750m. You won't be in the water that long, providing the air temperature isn't minus 5 I don't see why it would be cancelled. Even I'd be out of the water in 15 minutes and I'm a sh*t swimmer.

• Advertisement

It is the first open water race of the season. If you are not comfortable swimming in cold water - do not enter an early season open water race. I'm sorry, but, it's a sprint. 750m. You won't be in the water that long, providing the air temperature isn't minus 5 I don't see why it would be cancelled. Even I'd be out of the water in 15 minutes and I'm a sh*t swimmer.

No one is a sh*t swimmer, everyone will have signed the swim proficiency declaration that they have swam at least 500m OW within the past 30 days.

Safety first!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

You must tell me where this street is and I'll inform the rest of the race committee to stop planning for a swim - bike - run.

griffin100 wrote: »
    You must tell me where this street is and I'll inform the rest of the race committee to stop planning for a swim - bike - run.

Racing795 club and committee put a lot of work into starting up this new race from scratch last year, closed roads etc, and have worked to make it better this year. A lot easier to not do so (and easier still to hurl from the ditch as I'm doing).

You know I'm not having a go at them or their efforts (and I wouldn't have said anything if the race wasn't oversubscribed).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

When would they make a call on that? Can you get a refund if it turns into a Duathlon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I don't think last year the swim as changed because of the cold. I thought it looked alright, I was in the second wave, so when I was waiting on the bank for my wave and seen some of the top swimmers struggle to swim back upstream to the start line after their warm up I think they made the right decision. They even lengthened the swim to try and make up for the flow of the river. I know my time and few of the times of others were pretty much what they would be for a normal sprint. I thought last year they were one of the better races at dealing with the conditions they were given on the day rather than going for the easy option of cancelling the swim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I was swimming in the Barrow last night and it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Really hoping the swim goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Race Website says that it's all good for Sunday: https://racing795.com/

"Preparations are in place and the weather is playing ball as the temperature in the River Barrow read 13.5 degrees today!"

TI make the call re. the swim. Last year it was a combination of a strong current and lowish water temp that prompted the swim change to all downstream. The concern was that some swimmers would be in the water for too long swimming against the current and consequently would be too cold when exiting the water. We all have opinions on that call but at the end of the day TI enforce the race rules and if you want to run a TI/NS race you have to obey. It's a risk every OW race this early in the season has to contend with. At least in a river swim you can mess around with the course to try and compensate as was done last year.

Plenty of people have been the river recently with no problems as far as I know, but it's not all about water temperature. There are rules about flow rates, air temperature and the gap between it and water temperature. The water could be balmy but if it's -1 in transition..........

Ah I just swam the course, it's perfect. Ice cream headache getting in but better than grand once you get going. Not much of a noticeable flow either no shivers getting out.

I'll let "the street" know...

• Advertisement

Just a quick update, I will be on duty at the car park entrance from 7am charging €10 per car plus an extra fee of €2 per bike. This small nominal fee is to cover the costs associated with me having to get out of bed so early on a Sunday morning.

Just a quick update, I will be on duty at the car park entrance from 7am charging €10 per car plus an extra fee of €2 per bike. This small nominal fee is to cover the costs associated with me having to get out of bed so early on a Sunday morning.

This sunday or the 22nd ??

Is this a joke in relation to laugh cultra?

Is this a joke in relation to laugh cultra?

Hence the pink text.

Hence the pink text.

Phew pink text doesn't show up on mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Phew pink text doesn't show up on mobile

Yes it does, you need a new phone.

BTH wrote: »
    Yes it does, you need a new phone.

I just got one do I need to change settings or use the full site or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I just got one do I need to change settings or use the full site or similar

Yeah, use the full website, the mobile one is crap.

Swim waves are published https://racing795.com/

Six waves with about 85 in each.

Question regarding the bike route- any thoughts on deep wheels, given the up/down route and farm gates/crosswinds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd say go with the deep wheels Kurt, the cross winds aren't too bad on that route, you can see the gates coming up and get ready ;). Apart from the first 2/3km and last 2/3km it's pretty much a straight road. I used 40mm wheels last year and had no problems at all.

Advertisement