Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri795 Carlow 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Kurt_Godel

Thanks joey. I'll be using C50's at least, but have a new set of 82/101 that I'm considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

What about disc? Its looking for its maiden voyage, have a 60 upfront which is probably more important for handling/crosswinds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I can only talk about last year but I didn't find the crosswinds that bad at all and I wouldn't be the best bike handler in the world. Was only running a 40mm deep front wheel but found it grand. Definitely don't remember the wind being a big issue, and I do from some other races.

Any beginners who are interested, there will be a gang from Tinahely Tri in the Barrow river tonight 19:30-20:00 sharp. I'm giving an intro to wetsuit swimming, acclimatising to cold, sighting, scrums, etc, and have a look at the course. Meet at opposite bank to swim exit point at 19:15. No fee, TI membership required (insurance reasons), and although this is aimed at newbies/beginners, all are welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

Was in the river tonight giving my SIL a bit of a confidence booster as she's a nervous first time 750m ow swimmer. Have to say the water was positively balmy, skins swimming can't be too far away, if only the rowers would feck on :)

Seriously though, no ice cream headache, minimal current, can't see this swim being changed unless something major happens with the flow over the next couple of days. Hopefully the weather will play ball for the couple of hours cyclists are on the road on Sunday. If you've a Child of Prague knocking around the house put it out ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Is the new run route on a trail or footpaths for the most part?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

There's a video on the site, looks to be bout 75% trail, 25% footpath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Trail runners or racers so?

You won't need trail runners on the Barrow track, it's a fairly solid surface.

griffin100 wrote: »
    You won't need trail runners on the Barrow track, it's a fairly solid surface.

Racers it is thanks. Bags packed and looking forward to it. thankful for a later start than most races.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nanoc

Yeah the later start is nice.... But not too late like the Athy sprint last year, spend the day just waiting around to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

With the amount of rain we've had today ye are gonna have a fast swim. Well down stream at least. :D

We had torrential rain, hailstones and thunder and lightning whilst setting up transition; all interspersed between periods of good sunshine (I manged to get sunburnt today). I hope the rack position numbers are waterproof :pac: The roads around the race area were flash flooding when i left this evening but that'll clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

that'll clear.

Into the river. :D

It was literally 4 seasons in 5 mins sunshine/rain/thunder/lightening/hail stones.

Hopefully it's cleared it's system and the weather plays ball tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

We had torrential rain, hailstones and thunder and lightning whilst setting up transition; all interspersed between periods of good sunshine (I manged to get sunburnt today). I hope the rack position numbers are waterproof :pac: The roads around the race area were flash flooding when i left this evening but that'll clear.

Let's hope the race numbers are waterproof this year to ....!!!! 😆

Well done Racing795, ye put on a great show today. Very well-organised race, held in great conditions.

Water temps and flow were good (it was a real scrum to the turn bouy!), tough uphill bike into a headwind- but I bet some speed records were set on the way down! Nice run route along the Barrow. Lovely atmosphere around the finish area, good to meet several from here today. Hope you all had a good race :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Just back from doing this. I must say overall it was very well organised, and the weather helped a lot.
    The swim - everything ran on time, water was 13.5 degrees and felt fine. I must say there were probably too many in each wave - I couldn't really 'swim' until we turned at the buoy. Small thing and I'm not sure if more waves is a runner for future events.

The cycle - really a game of two halves - first 10k is a complete drag - struggled to average 23k/hr. The way back was the opposite - passed the speed check at 63k/h even on my basic road bike. The guys on the TT were going well above that.

The run - no hassles - fairly flat - mix of on road and trail type surface but it was all grand.

Transition areas, bag drop etc all very well organised.

Just one recommendation - felt the guys doing the race briefing could have been louder - they had started before a lot of people had realised but again that's only a small issue.

Definitely would have this on my calendar for next year.

Will take the smaller waves sugg stood on board if the event runs next year. Was actually the same numbers in the waves this year as last year but i think the upstream swim into the strong current held the packs together for longer leading to congestion.

All the prayers to weather gods seem to have worked. A fantastic day racing.

Didn't know what to expect from my form at the moment with various ongoing treatments from my physios but was happy to be out on the run under an hour which I was targeting for today.

Swim has been off this year with shoulder problems and still went sub 13 so was delighted with that.

A few mistakes in transition, including heading out for the run with my helmet on.

Heading out the cycle was tough but fun on the way in although a bit nervous on the road surface so held back at points.

Transition was a bit crowded as someone put their bike in the wrong way or wrong place I couldn't fit my bike on my rack and had to steal someone else's spot which I told a marshal at the time.

All in a great day with lots of positives and a decent start to the season. First dip in ow this year for me and first time running off the bike this year. Will have to practice a lot before lanesboro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I watched most of the waves from the bank and I don't think they were over crowded at all. Seemed to be a fair bit of space and there was a bit of bumping an all but no more than any other race. Bit of crowding at the buoy but everyone seemed to want to cut it as tight as possible, lot swimming up the rope to it and having to stop to turn around it and then causing everyone behind them to stop. Seen a good few take it wide and make up huge places. From a spectators point of view it was a good race and everyone in our club who raced it really enjoyed it. Well done 795, I do hope it's on again next year, I know it would get the support of our club if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mr Tango

Can u maybe put a black line along the bottom of the river for next year. People need to learn to swim straigh in open water!!!!!!

Great race again this year. Will be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was my first open water tri - I really enjoyed it, so thanks to the organisers.

Inexperience got me caught in a poor position at the swim turnaround, and had to take a few seconds breast stroke once around to get my head back in the game, but delighted with my swim time. Really enjoyed the cycle, but if next year ye could turn off the head wind that'd be great!

Only thing I would say is I couldn't hear the race briefing at all, and I did try to and wasn't far away. Should've given the same mic the mc had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It was my first open water tri - I really enjoyed it, so thanks to the organisers.

Inexperience got me caught in a poor position at the swim turnaround, and had to take a few seconds breast stroke once around to get my head back in the game, but delighted with my swim time. Really enjoyed the cycle, but if next year ye could turn off the head wind that'd be great!

Only thing I would say is I couldn't hear the race briefing at all, and I did try to and wasn't far away. Should've given the same mic the mc had.

The reason was not the mic, it was those speaking. They didn't hold the mic close enough to their mouth. I turned up the system as much as i could without feedback coming through. Its a very common problem with those who don't like speaking in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Enjoyed the race thoroughly and would certainly recommend it.

The only gripe I have was the registration process. Very slow despite the best efforts of the volunteers in there

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Great race. Well done to all involved.

Are the timings for the swim splits in waves 3&4 correct? People reporting that they are about 1min fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

StaggerLee wrote: »

Are the timings for the swim splits in waves 3&4 correct? People reporting that they are about 1min fast.

I think they were okay - had me around 13.5mins whereas my watch was around 14 but I actually didnt stop my swim on my watch until well past the timing line.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

Wave three was fine but something does seem off with four. A number of people have mentioned it to me.

cart man wrote: »

Wave three was fine but something does seem off with four. A number of people have mentioned it to me.

You sure your not a minute a fast :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I was wave 3 and quite close (7 seconds between watch and chip)

Advertisement