Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tri795 Carlow 2016

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭trailrunner

Well done 795 on another great race, everything went very well and blessed with the weather, one worrying thing , when I returned to get my bike after transition opened there was a girl at the rack across from me in a very worried state , her lovely new TT bike was gone..!!!! Yes taken out of transition.!!! I went over to her to offer help , just then another competitor came over and explained that she might be able to explain what happened. She had rang her father to come and collect her bike for her, he did collect a felt TT bike from transition but the wrong one .!! Wrong colour at that!! She rang him and a nervous ten minutes or so the girl was reunited with her bike. I and her very irate boyfriend both pointed out to one of the marshals that it was completely unacceptable for this to happen in the first place . The man just walked into transition and picked up a bike and walked out..!!! A lesson for more attention and security at transition next year and to all other race organisers also .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭griffin100

My understanding is that a competitor did loose her bike, a Felt IIRC, taken out of transition by someone else. That someone else was the father of a friend. He was allowed take the bike because he had her race number. Edit: that is my understanding, I could be wrong. If they were adjacent on the bike rack he may have mistakenly been allowed out if the race number he had was not properly checked off against the bike. If so hands up.

We checked pretty much every person leaving transition with a bike on Sunday and you only got out if your race number matched your bike. Failing that if your race number sticker on your bag matched the bike we let you out. For those lacking all of the necessary proof we checked their name off against the competitor listing. As someone who had all his bikes stolen last summer I am very conscious of bike security.!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

griffin100 wrote: »
    My understanding is that a competitor did loose her bike, a Felt IIRC, taken out of transition by someone else. That someone else was the father of a friend. He was allowed take the bike because he had her race number.

We checked pretty much every person leaving transition with a bike on Sunday and you only got out if your race number matched your bike. Failing that if your race number sticker on your bag matched the bike we let you out. For those lacking all of the necessary proof we checked their name off against the competitor listing. As someone who had all his bikes stolen last summer I am very conscious of bike security.!

:eek: House/garage broken into? That sucks.

Garage broken into - road, TT, mtb, race wheels, shoes, turbo - all stolen.

My understanding is that a competitor did loose her bike, a Felt IIRC, taken out of transition by someone else. That someone else was the father of a friend. He was allowed take the bike because he had her race number. Edit: that is my understanding, I could be wrong. If they were adjacent on the bike rack he may have mistakenly been allowed out if the race number he had was not properly checked off against the bike. If so hands up.

Your understanding is wrong, he was not the father of a friend , he was the father of another competitor.!
    He did not have her race number either as it was still around her waist.
    He picked up her helmet and her bike and walked out, maybe they checked the helmet but come on think about it , everyone's helmet and bike are both in transition.!! Should only be let exit transition with a bike if you show your race number end of .

• Advertisement

Your understanding is wrong, he was not the father of a friend , he was the father of another competitor.!
    He did not have her race number either as it was still around her waist.
    He picked up her helmet and her bike and walked out, maybe they checked the helmet but come on think about it , everyone's helmet and bike are both in transition.!! Should only be let exit transition with a bike if you show your race number end of .

He had a race belt and a race number attached when he returned her bike, I saw him entering transition with them. Hands up he shouldn't have been allowed out with a bike that was the wrong number, he obviously wasn't checked well enough.

On your other point no one should have been allowed out with just a helmet and a bike number, that's why we were using competitor lists to check those who hadn't numbered their bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Great race, didn't enjoy it at the time (1st race of the season, cobwebs are tough to get rid of!), but God it was worth it for the bike after the turnaround, I've never cycled so fast!

He had a race belt and a race number attached when he returned her bike, I saw him entering transition with them. Hands up he shouldn't have been allowed out with a bike that was the wrong number, he obviously wasn't checked well enough.

On your other point no one should have been allowed out with just a helmet and a bike number, that's why we were using competitor lists to check those who hadn't numbered their bikes.

A warning to other club races maybe, in fairness to ye it was a great race .
    I really loved it and will definitely be back again next year .
    I only aired this as I seen first hand the genuine fear in the poor girls face for about ten minutes when she seen her bike was gone .Anyway alls well that ends well .

A warning to other club races maybe, in fairness to ye it was a great race .
    I really loved it and will definitely be back again next year .
    I only aired this as I seen first hand the genuine fear in the poor girls face for about ten minutes when she seen her bike was gone .Anyway alls well that ends well .

All feedback is welcome. If we run it again next year we'll take it all on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭boodiebhoy

Great race and really well marshalled. My wife and I had all numbers checked when leaving transition - twice in fact. We thought security was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Loved the speed check on the way down the hill too!

Anyone know if there are any photos of this race online yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

There are loads on the TI faceboook page. About 400 plus more on The Great Barrow Swim facebook page.

Excellent, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

All feedback is welcome. If we run it again next year we'll take it all on board.

Really enjoyed it, plenty of marshalls which was great to see. Some big numbers from a few clubs which was great to see.

Would like there to be some water near the start on the run, I had assumed there would be and didn't take any on the bike - this was probably not the only reason that I didn't win it in fairness.

Does anyone know what the final outcome was on the dog incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

cart man wrote: »
    Really enjoyed it, plenty of marshalls which was great to see. Some big numbers from a few clubs which was great to see.

Would like there to be some water near the start on the run, I had assumed there would be and didn't take any on the bike - this was probably not the only reason that I didn't win it in fairness.

Does anyone know what the final outcome was on the dog incident?

What happened ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What happened ?

pups.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭cart man

What happened ?
    Firstly this has nothing to do with the race, which I repeat I thoroughly enjoyed.

A little kid was walking with her small white dog when much larger dog (think mastiff) took a hold of the smaller dog, was shaking it around and wouldn't let go. It's owner was trying to sit on the dog but couldn't get it to release it. The little girl was in bits. A group of lads all came over and started kicking it until it finally let go. The small white dog just lay on the ground with a small bit of movement. A Marshall was also involved in coming to little girls aid who at this stage was in hysterics while the owner of the bigger dog was saying that this thing never happened before. Harrowing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Firstly this has nothing to do with the race, which I repeat I thoroughly enjoyed.

A little kid was walking with her small white dog when much larger dog (think mastiff) took a hold of the smaller dog, was shaking it around and wouldn't let go. It's owner was trying to sit on the dog but couldn't get it to release it. The little girl was in bits. A group of lads all came over and started kicking it until it finally let go. The small white dog just lay on the ground with a small bit of movement. A Marshall was also involved in coming to little girls aid who at this stage was in hysterics while the owner of the bigger dog was saying that this thing never happened before. Harrowing stuff.

Oh nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

That's terrible.

The worrying thing is I saw a similar dog and it's owner in the kids play park in Carlow last week. No muzzle or anything. I spoke to the owner and told him I think his dog should be muzzled and probably not best to have a dog in an area full of hyperactive kids. Come to think of it I don't think dogs are allowed in that park anyway.

I got the usual verbals. :rolleyes:

Anyway not to turn this into a dog thread. We all know how they go. :eek:

Congrats on another successful year Racing795/griffin100

Hopefully you run it again next year. I pick up a cooled town when you mention "If we run it again"

• Advertisement

Hadn't heard about the dog incident, that's nasty. Carlow Town Park does seem to attract a certain 'class' of person among all the normal people. You should have seen the group who were hanging around transition when we left on Saturday night (thankfully we had security on duty in the area).

Hopefully you run it again next year. I pick up a cooled town when you mention "If we run it again"

I'm sure we will run it again next year, but it's a big commitment from the 3-4 guys who do most of the leg work. My involvement was attending a few meetings, preparing the paperwork and setting up transition on the Saturday and running it on the day (I was the stressed looking chap running around transition in a high vis t-shirt that said Head Marshal :pac:) - nothing compared to what these 3-4 other guys do. Trying to source upwards of 120 marshals is also a struggle and you never know who actually is going to appear until the morning of the race. For a small club that's a huge number of people to try and get. Without the help of the county councils and other clubs (Tullow Kayak Club / Carlow Rowing Club / St Fiaccs Swim Club) we'd be unable to run the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Carlow Town Park does seem to attract a certain 'class' of person among all the normal people.

just to note.. I know the person who's dog attacked the little dog, and she is the FURTHEST thing from that 'certain class' that you would find.
    This is a dog that she was fostering and she is devastated by what happened. So, please don't cast aspersions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

c07 wrote: »
    just to note.. I know the person who's dog attacked the little dog, and she is the FURTHEST thing from that 'certain class' that you would find.
    This is a dog that she was fostering and she is devastated by what happened. So, please don't cast aspersions.

Aspersions aside the dog should have been muzzled particularly if it was only new to your friend. Whoever she fostered it off could have questions to answer. Despite your friends devastation hopefully that little girl hasn't been scared for life and gained a new found fear of dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Aspersions aside the dog should have been muzzled particularly if it was only new to your friend. Whoever she fostered it off could have questions to answer. Despite your friends devastation hopefully that little girl hasn't been scared for life and gained a new found fear of dogs.

Am not disagreeing with this at all.. I just disagreed with the sweeping assumption of her character.

Advertisement