Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insect in new build

Options
  • 31-01-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I was in new build today. We are at final end of it eg all done bar stairs, floors kitchen.

Was up in attic & noticed a bunch of these. Then more ganging about the windows downstairs.

Know its not a was or bee. Thunking hornet but anyone any idea what they are & how to get rid of them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

photo isn't great; is it a wood wasp?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

photo isn't great; is it a wood wasp?

Perhaps as most of them are in attic. About five of them downstairs. They don't fly like a wasp & seem bigger. Darker in colour too.

Any ideas what I should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭breffnij

breffnij wrote: »
    Perhaps as most of them are in attic. About five of them downstairs. They don't fly like a wasp & seem bigger. Darker in colour too.

Any ideas what I should do?

Not a wood wasp based on picture I see on net. Defo more like a hornet...

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

looks to me like a hover fly
    not a hornet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭macraignil

Just looked at the google images of hornets and they have much more pronounced stingers on their tail. I also have been living in a fairly new built house and found flys in the attic and near the windows. I put it down to the house being close to a farm yard. They seem to die after a while. The ones I have found don't sound as big as the ones you describe. They also sound bigger than hover flys I have seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭splish

Its a hoverfly, looks like it could be Eristalis tenax.

Advertisement