Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

search commenced

Options
  • 31-01-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

So i finally bit the bullet and contacted the adoption authority, who gave me the details of the adoption agency that handled my case.
    RGAS which is now closed and all the files transferred to TULSA in Blanchardstown.
    Contacted there and now the wait begins.

Has anyone any experience of dealing with these people? The person I spoke to seemed very nice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi, Im afraid TULSA in Blanchardstown do not give out any non id info till you meet a SW, which on average is a 3 year wait.
    Good Luck in your search

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Thanks,
    Is there any particular reason for this.
    Is there not a standard practice across all agencies? Seems like more barriers/hoops to jump through just to find out what you should be entitled to.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi, No standard practice even within Tulsa, some give non id information, some don't. I was born cork adopted through an agency in Dublin, so dont presume anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 scb66

TheShow wrote: »
    So i finally bit the bullet and contacted the adoption authority, who gave me the details of the adoption agency that handled my case.
    RGAS which is now closed and all the files transferred to TULSA in Blanchardstown.
    Contacted there and now the wait begins.

Has anyone any experience of dealing with these people? The person I spoke to seemed very nice.

How is your progress? I've just started by contacting the agency, Cunamh in my case. I've an appointment at the end of the month. Very tentative about it all but I'm in my 40s and would like a chance to meet if it's what she wants.

Update. SW made contact with me around Sept 2016 to commence the search. She sent me out a letter with what details she could tell me which was way more than I expected Tbh.
    She has done a trace to the last known address and as far as the records are concerned that is where she resides. So at the stage now where a letter has been sent and I'm waiting patiently to see if any contact has been made, good or bad. I wonder is the current spotlight on TUSLA having any impact here because it's been a whole since I last heard from them.

• Advertisement

scb66 wrote: »
    How is your progress? I've just started by contacting the agency, Cunamh in my case. I've an appointment at the end of the month. Very tentative about it all but I'm in my 40s and would like a chance to meet if it's what she wants.

Good luck with it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Update. SW made contact with me around Sept 2016 to commence the search. She sent me out a letter with what details she could tell me which was way more than I expected Tbh.
    She has done a trace to the last known address and as far as the records are concerned that is where she resides. So at the stage now where a letter has been sent and I'm waiting patiently to see if any contact has been made, good or bad. I wonder is the current spotlight on TUSLA having any impact here because it's been a whole since I last heard from them.

I'd contact them for a progress update. If they haven't had a response ask how long they wait until they send a second letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 scb66

Good luck to you also.

No response from BM.

Turns out she had a second child sister/half-sister who was also put up for adoption, tried to make contact via the SW but she was not interested.

SW can't search for the birth father without the BM's consent. how ridiculous is that.

Dead ends everywhere.

Sorry to hear that. It is ridiculous that sw has to get consent to contact father. Did you get as far as writing a letter to your BM?

• Advertisement

No, SW has her address and sent the usual letters out to make the first contact and then the registered letters. They are being signed for by who they expected them to be. She has not engaged.
    I know it’s a big deal for her, but would you not be curious at least?

The fact now that she has two other offspring?
    Maybe I’m better off not knowing.

Nothing I can do now until the leglislation they’ve been going on about goes through, If that ever happens....

Have you tried to do your own search? With the information you were given you may have enough to find your birth Cert, her birth Cert and then on to find her marriage Cert and possibly where she lives now. It's doable - with a lot of patience.

Have thought about it, but just ain’t got the time at the moment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Nothing I can do now until the leglislation they’ve been going on about goes through, If that ever happens....

Unfortunately that legislation won't help us. If anything it will put additional legal hurdles in our way.

As Ghekko says it might be time to begin your own search.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement