Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apple Mac Air - cable to link to projector

• 31-01-2016 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi! Just wonder if anyone knows what type of cable I need to link my Apple Mac Book Air to a projector for presentations. When I bought the Mac at Xmas they said I didn't need this cable if I bought the PRO - but my budget wouldn't extend as far as the PRO. However, they told me in the Apple Shop that they were out of stock of the cable I needed to attach to my Apple Mac Air and the projector - they said I could get one in any store that death in Apple Products - I went into one in town and they said I would need to know the type of projector I was using that their were two types of cables, both out of stock, which would be needed to attach to the Mac book air and the projector - how on earth do I go and ask every place I do presentations in if I can see their projector head first to establish what cable I need - does anyone know what cable I need or if indeed I do have to ask to see the projector in the place I am presenting to ascertain which one I need - what an awful lot of messing around!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Apple eh?
    Seriously though, most projectors will have a VGA input. Newer ones should have hdmi as well.
    You best bet is to get a display port (whichever version you have) to VGA. I'm assuming it's display port out in the Air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It might depend on what model/year of Air you have. If it's fairly recent, you should be able to get a thunderbolt to hdmi cable. I have a 4 meter one I got off amazon.

As was pointed out previously, you need to know what the projector accepts. here is Apples description for a current Air:

Thunderbolt digital video output

Native Mini DisplayPort output
    DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    VGA output using Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter (sold separately)
    Dual-link DVI output using Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter (sold separately)
    HDMI audio and video output using third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter (sold separately)

Mini display port and the thunderbolt port are the same thing.

If the projector might be some distance away you could also get an TV and position that near the projector, hook it up and mirror your Air screen to it via WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy one of these lads:

Link

It will give you HDMI and VGA, you wont see DVI on a podium.

718Lzs%2B7mxL._SL1500_.jpg

Worth noting. Nice chingrish there.

Advertisement