Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warning for trolling

Options
  • 01-02-2016 12:52am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I received a warning for trolling from Darkglasses for a comment which was quite obviously tongue in cheek. I have contacted mod via pm but they stand over it.
    I would like to get it reversed
    Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

RobFowl wrote: »
    I received a warning for trolling from Darkglasses for a comment which was quite obviously tongue in cheek. I have contacted mod via pm but they stand over it.
    I would like to get it reversed
    Thank you

It was in the cycling forum and had been deleted. The comment was "bleeding women, can't trust them" and in context was in a thread discussing mechanical doping, a motor was found in a bike belonging to an under 23 lady at the world cyclocross champs. It was an attempt at humour in a very depressing subject, a number of posts attempting humour had already been posted by others .
    Possibly it was not that funny but to call it trolling was simply ridiculous and to delete it and issue a warning was over the top and heavy handed.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Just to mention this has not been forgotten. As it's related to the Cycling forum I will not be dealing with this. One of the other Sports CMods will get back to you Rob.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I'll take a look, can you forward me relevant PM's between you and the mod thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I got your PM, thanks.

I've also been investigating and trying to establish any facts / previous history that are relevant.

I am assuming from your previous posts on the forum and interaction on threads that you are aware that sexist comments are frowned upon there, am I correct?

I would also like to know if you disagree with how the forum is moderated?

Yes or no answers please.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Steve wrote: »
    I got your PM, thanks.

I've also been investigating and trying to establish any facts / previous history that are relevant.

I am assuming from your previous posts on the forum and interaction on threads that you are aware that sexist comments are frowned upon there, am I correct?

I would also like to know if you disagree with how the forum is moderated?

Yes or no answers please.

Yes to the first and the second question can't be accurately answered with a yes or no answer. The moderation on the forum is mostly ok, at times though it is heavy handed and cliquey. It is also inconsistent. And quite obviously I disagree with the moderation on this issue !

• Advertisement

Thanks for the honest reply.
    In light of the fact that you knew such comments weren't allowed but chose to post it anyway, and also in light of you *not* being able to say you have no problems with the moderation, I have little choice but to conclude you knew what you were doing and posted it in the knowledge that it would annoy other forum users and mods - aka trolling.
    Had you been new to the forum I would understand the comment being posted as 'banter' or 'humor'.

Warning upheld.

If there is anything you want to discuss about the moderation, feel free to pm myself or any of the other non cycling cmods.

You may also, per DRP rules, request an admin review. Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Steve.

I am extremely disappointed and remain bemused by the warning and appeal. The comment was patently absurd and was intended to highlight the absurdity of motorised doping. I fail to see why it is interpreted otherwise and I still think it was poor moderation.
    I don't see much point asking for an admin review given the logic applied to the review.
    I will pm re issues re moderation.
    This warming coming very soon after I reported a mod post makes me think it was related TBH.

I wasn't made aware you reported a mod post.

Do you wish to have an admin review or can I close this?

Steve wrote: »
    I wasn't made aware you reported a mod post.

Do you wish to have an admin review or can I close this?

Close away

Thanks.

PM me if there's anything else :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement