Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Theft - Where do I stand?

Options
  • 01-02-2016 2:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭

In 2012, my expensive bike was stolen from the underground car park in the estate where I live. They cut through my lock.

Recently, another expensive bike of mine was stolen from the same place. This time, they couldn't cut through my 2 expensive locks, so they cut through the rails that my bike was locked to.

Since the first theft, the management company did nothing to improve security. Scumbags can obviously get into the car park below, and now i discover that the rails supplied by the management company are vulnerable.

My lock wasn't good enough for the first theft, so partly my fault it got stolen I suppose. But i had 2 excellent locks for the second bike, but they cut through the rails supplied by management for the second.

Therefore I am putting the blame on the management company for this. Failure to stop scumbags getting into the car park and for supplying a insecure system for keeping bikes secure.
    Should i demand compensation or do you think I'm wasting my time?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Wasting your time mate. I was in the exact same position 2 or 3 years ago when I had my bike stolen from a locked car park. Had the bike double locked to the bike rack.
    Management company won't take responsibility for it. Do you have contents insurance? That's your only bet.

In a related point the management company circulated a newsletter a few months before my bike was stolen stating that all bikes must be stored in the car park and not in apartments. When I informed them that my bike was stolen I told them that I would be keeping any new bike I might get inside my apartment from now on as they couldn't keep it safe. They agreed this made sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Scumbags, but obviously well prepared ones. But I cannot see how the management company are to blame for the criminal activities of others if they provided a facility to lock your bike to railings in an underground car park. Its not exactly out in the open for all to see.
    These toerags came prepared to get your bike and obviously planned the theft after seeing the precautions you had taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sf80

why do you think they are responsible for the security of your property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Did the management company agree to provide security for your bike when you signed the lease? If not, bikes/cars are parked/locked at the owners risk, take a look around the car park, there is usually a sign stating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My friend had 3 bikes stolen from an apartment block .
    She worked for an insurance company, i think she just claimed insurance on them .
    She moved out 4 months later .
    That block was having problems anti social behavior ,kids hanging around.
    Front door glass was broken .
    There was only 20 units in the block .
    MY advice if its a bike take it with you ,if its a motor bike ,
    move on ,have you not got insurance on it .
    Don,t leave another bike there .
    It,s unusual for thiefs to cut through metal rails ,
    they usually cut the lock or move on to another bike that,s not so securely locked .
    i Think theres gangs going around robbing bikes from car parks ,schools etc
    The car park should have security camera videotapes .
    of the area ,where you bike was robbed .
    the gardai could ask to view video,s to identify the robbers ,if you report it to the gardai
    quickly .before the tapes are deleted .most
    Car parks are not secure , anyone can walk into them, where the cars go in,
    unless theres security staff at the entrance .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

sf80 wrote: »
    why do you think they are responsible for the security of your property?

Assuming the OP lives in what is supposed to be a "secure" apartment block, then surely the management company should be putting in place procedures to prevent uninvited outsiders into the block?

Assuming the OP lives in what is supposed to be a "secure" apartment block, then surely the management company should be putting in place procedures to prevent uninvited outsiders into the block?

my rely was a bit short; what I meant was had the company made any promises which would suggest they would accept any liability like that. I've never seen any which would.

Thieves love secure parking; they follow someone in, block the gate sensor or easily force the gate open with a car. They then have a nice quiet place to work undisturbed.

I can't see an insurer covering the management company against that, or a judge agreeing that it would be reasonable to expect liability would fall to them.

I've lost 2 motorcycles this way, I understand how the OP feels

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

What procedures would you recommend? How would you stop someone entering the main gate, if they follow in a car or something?

Normally a management company would have no liability to the OP. Nothing is 100% secure. The management company have provided reasonable security in place (I assume), which is controlled ability to open the main gate, and then a facility to lock your bike to. The fact that they got in the gate and then cut the rails is not the fault of the management company.

It's a total pain, but not the fault of the management company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Whosthis

Zak Flaps wrote: »

the rails supplied by the management company are vulnerable

, but they cut through the rails supplied by management for the second.

Therefore I am putting the blame on the management company for this, for supplying a insecure system for keeping bikes secure.

Thats just nonsense and clutching at straws, a consaw or a grinder and you can cut through just about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Your personal possessions aren't the management companies responsibility OP, if you left a suitcase full of cash chained to the railings in an empty carpark would it be their fault if someone came along with an angle grinder and took it? Thats all an expensive roadbike is to these scum, the only place thats safe is in your apartment, anywhere public will attract them like flies. What did you think had changed from the last time your bike was stolen from this spot? The difference between a €120 Kryptonite lock and one from the pound shop is about 30 seconds cutting time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Absolutely nothing you can do. The management company have no responsibility for your stuff, I hope you had insurance as that's the only recourse you'll get.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

You've no chance of recouping the cost from the management company and rightly so. All they can reasonably do is provided a basic level of security (based on the budget), not a magic immunity to determined thieves. There's no way of completely securing a bike outside within parameters of reasonable communal cost. Personally I'd keep it in your apartment and say nothing.

One other point here to note too is that if the MC did considerably beef up security, it would affect all homeowners, typically in the form of increased service charges or diversion of budget from other facilities. That is never popular, especially those who don't see any need for enhanced security.

Balancing the specific requirements of individual residents from a communally funded budget is part of life in a managed development unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Ok, thanks guys for the replies.

I assume you've talked to the Gards, and hopefully give them the serial no. etc. Best of luck, I hope it turns up for you, it happens sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Once one bike is stolen ,they will come back again and again,
    car parks should have security camera,s .
    i understand many car parks have no security, anyone can drive in ,
    Providing security personnel or even large electronic gates would not be practical in many
    area,s or else it would be too expensive .
    As it would cause an increase in service charges for all the residents in the block.
    My friend lives in a council block ,
    expensive security gate,s were installed at the main entrance
    but they are open sometimes for weeks, due to vandalism .
    in most blocks in dublin if i had a bike ,id bring it up to my apartment .
    I think its like phones ,
    there,s people who just go out to rob smarphones, iphones ,etc
    as they are easily sold on for 100 euro plus .
    And bikes are easily sold on,
    i think the gardai have a website where they show recovered stolen good,s
    bikes, tvs, etc
    so the owners can go and collect them .

Advertisement