Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rip off prices beer naas co kildare

Options
  • 01-02-2016 3:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

was in pub last night bought a pint of larger and a glass of wine 2.30 change from 20 euro ,after bought the wine by itself cost 5.50 bought another glass same drink cost 6.50 the wine came from a larger bottle they had on ice ,so a pint of larger cost me 12.20 normal pub ,,,but after 12 pm they put a extra euro on each drink served will not drink there again ,, and i checked bill only charged for one pint at 12.20 a pint i now understand why pubs are empty

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

sandra06 wrote: »
    was in pub last night bought a pint of larger and a glass of wine 2.30 change from 20 euro ,after bought the wine by itself cost 5.50 bought another glass same drink cost 6.50 the wine came from a larger bottle they had on ice ,so a pint of larger cost me 12.20 normal pub ,,,but after 12 pm they put a extra euro on each drink served will not drink there again ,, and i checked bill only charged for one pint at 12.20 a pint i now understand why pubs are empty

€12.20 for a pint? Did you ask the bar man to explain or get a receipt. Doesn't sound right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

€12.20 for a pint, not a hope in hell anywhere would charge that at any time. It must have been a mistake at the till.

Indeed, a person would want to be mad to pay the prices they charge now anyway, even average prices are outrageous.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭sandra06

got the receipt that what it said one pint 12.20 maybe it was filerd in gold buy its was budweiser:D

That's insanity. You should check your receipt in future when they give you your order and refuse if it is like that again. Only in Ireland. That is one main reason I stopped going to the pub, rip-off shower indeed.

I picked up 8 500ml bottles of Perlenbacher pills in lidl earlier today for €7.29 alc 4.9% no wonder I don't go near pubs anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It's not your "only in Ireland" crap, it can only be a simple mistake. You were charged for either 2 pints or 2 wines, or just given the wrong change and someone else got yours.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's not your "only in Ireland" crap, it can only be a simple mistake. You were charged for either 2 pints or 2 wines, or just given the wrong change and someone else got yours.

Touchy. And by the way, it is only in Ireland. In any other European countries you would spend less than half that for a pint, welcome to rip-off Ireland, lets face the facts.

Are you a publican by any chance ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Touchy. And by the way, it is only in Ireland. In any other European countries you would spend less than half that for a pint, welcome to rip-off Ireland, lets face the facts.

Please stop. Not everyone who doesn't agree with you is a publican. €12 sounds like 2 pints. Were all happy im sure, to be proven wrong if you want to post the receipt

Ireland is certainly expensive but the continent don't kick back with €2 pints all round either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Sorry guys, but I think this thread is compete bollox. 12 quid a pint? And you didn't demand the manager? I just dont believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Obviously a mistake, not an over the top price as you think. And plenty of European countries are as expensive as here. France for one, all of Scandinavia to name another 4 straight away.
    I was in Dublin city centre on Saturday night and Guinness was 4.60 a pint
    Sure, temple bar and a few other places charge much more than that but every Irish person knows that at this stage and stays away from them.
    Bring this receipt you have into the bar manager and I am sure he will refund you or might even give you a few beers if you are prepared to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Wow, look at you with your stock response of an idiot to someone who doesn't crawl up your ass in agreement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Naas is dear, but it's not that bad. Seems like a mistake to me. What's more surprising is the fact that the OP just accepted it and coughed up without challenging the staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tessabee

very stupid post how on earth would anyone think paying 12.20 for a pint could possibly be correct and just accept it , must have more money than sense

tessabee wrote: »
    very stupid post how on earth would anyone think paying 12.20 for a pint could possibly be correct and just accept it , must have more money than sense
    thats nasty thats what i paid and i wish i had more money then sense i very rarely drink so i really would have no idea what a pint of larger costs

close thread please thank u

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭enricoh

Try milan italy for a proper rip off experience.
    No pints to be got only 330ml longnecks, 5 bottles of peroni 50 euro and yer one looking for a tip. Sod this we said were off somewhere else, down to another pub and the exact same, no 9.90 or any of that crap , tenner a pop!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What pub was this in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Which pub was it? I can only imagine it was a mistake. No place in Naas charges that for a pint. No where in Ireland does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

close thread please thank u

Close it because you didn't get the response you wanted?

No pub in Ireland charges 12.20, not even the Shelbourne

Anyone who hands that over without questioning it only has themselves to blame as it is sooooo obviously an error.

Btw - if it was central Paris it would be considered cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Temple bar eat your heart out. The great tourist rip off is in Naas.

Temple bar eat your heart out. The great tourist rip off is in Naas.

You believe everything anonymous people put online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

VincePP wrote: »
    You believe everything anonymous people put online?

Your sarcasm meter is clearly broken.

Your sarcasm meter is clearly broken.

it was late :)

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

>>the wine came from a larger bottle they had on ice ,<<...I dont understand what you are saying there .Anyway it sounds like you were charged for two largers .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Glass of wine from a larger bottle kept in a fridge most likely.

Even still at 2 pints you're talking over €6 a pint. Struggling to think where in Naas is charging that. Even craft beers or "Premium" beers (read expensive) pints are only going to be a little over €5. The average pint such as Bud like the OP was talking about will all be sub €5. In the region of €4.60 - €4.90 depending on location and time. A lot of places do put the price up after 12 if a late bar and no door charge, but not €1 up. 10 - 20 cent on each drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

I was in west cork last weekend and paid 4.50 for a half pint draft of peroni. pint was 5.80. In the UK they are only allowed to charge half the price but here of course with responsible drinking we have to charge 78% of the full price of a pint for a half pint.

295c0f478975824.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 69,006 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Here once the price is declared they could charge more for a half if they wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

rom wrote: »
    I was in west cork last weekend and paid 4.50 for a half pint draft of peroni. pint was 5.80. In the UK they are only allowed to charge half the price but here of course with responsible drinking we have to charge 78% of the full price of a pint for a half pint.

295c0f478975824.jpg

was it a half pint or 330ml?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

rom wrote: »
    In the UK they are only allowed to charge half the price but here of course
    Where did you hear this? I was saying before it should be made law here if they were actually genuinely bothered with promoting safer drinking levels.

But I have never heard it being in the UK

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/572420/Great-British-half-pint-rip-off-Two-halves-cost-ONE-POUND-more-full-pint
    Great British half-pint rip-off: Two halves can cost ONE POUND more than a full pint

A GROUP of beer lovers have been left with a bitter taste in their mouths after they discovered a half-pint rip-off in British pubs.

By LEVI WINCHESTER
    PUBLISHED: 15:07, Thu, Apr 23, 2015

If people care what they pay they need to break this odd tradition of never on your life daring to enquire about the price of the product they are about to buy in a pub, while its the total norm to do it in nearly all other retail establishments. Publicans are fully aware of this strange tradition and will continue to take the piss.

And ask beforehand, do not just refuse after its poured or some other mug will get a stale pint or it will go down the sink and the loss will be covered by continued high prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭madanall

sandra06 wrote:

Maybe if you had bought a pint of Lager, it may have been cheaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement