Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM 2016 Roll Call

Options
  • 01-02-2016 10:25am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Thought someone else may have started it by now, but if you're going long in 2016 then this is the place to announce it.

I expect to see lots of CG in here, probably needs it's own thread:)

Name|Race|Month|Goal Time|Actual Time
    Mossym|IM Copenhagen|August|August (TBD)|
    ||||

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BTH|IM Copenhagen|August|Make the start line|
    ||||

At the moment this is as ambitious as I can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

shotgunmcos|Challenge Galway|June|Make the start line|

No time goals. Doing it on my roadie. Limited swim training and no idea if I will be able to run a marathon. If I can plod around and enjoy myself that's it. It will be my first tri in 4 years

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Dory Dory|IM Louisville|October|11:30

Oh what the hell. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

sconhome | Challenge Galway| June | Partake & not get bogged down with work in the expo

Story of my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

sconhome | Challenge Galway| June | Partake & not get bogged down with work in the expo
    Jackyback|IM Mont Tremblant|August|Good race execution is the goal
    Jackyback|IM Barcelona|October|Survive and enjoy

• Advertisement

So, none of you boys have the balls to throw a number down? Just me? I'm the only one?? :confused: I am in the right forum, aren't I? Or did I step into the "Princesses on Parade" forum by accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

BTH the ginger princess. Love it :-)

Well, our ginger princess better be targeting a sub 10 hours if he wants to beat pbgibbo. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    So, none of you boys have the balls to throw a number down? Just me? I'm the only one?? :confused: I am in the right forum, aren't I? Or did I step into the "Princesses on Parade" forum by accident?
    OK then, this is A target. THE target? You decide. The fact that I'm not really training at the minute makes this all nonsense on d'interweb and I'll be no where near this unless things change a lot.

BTH|IM Copenhagen|August|9:44|

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Mossym|IM Copenhagen|August|10:59.999999|
    BTH|IM Copenhagen|August|9:44|

aye. you're right Dory. thanks for the kick in the pants. compared to my illustrious travelling companions it's a different league, but they are more experienced competitors(read they're just faster), and bonus that it'll let them have a nice slow dripped black coffee ready for me when i finish.

it's probabaly a bit of a stretch, the run time will make or break it, but it'll be the bike /run combo that'll decide the run if that makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ha 9.44 for BTH, a full 30 minutes off the 9.15 he confidently predicted to me, obviously trying to throw a bone out to Gibbo to give him hope

sandbagging+demotiv.jpg

Might have half mentioned 9:15 as a perfect race goal but 3 months later and after a row with a mountain bike, broken hand, broken teeth, proper flu, and a muscle strain in my back mean that is very unlikely now.

Way to rile the boys up Carol:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

whats wrong with focusing on the process ?

peter kern wrote: »

What's wrong with having some fun with the boys? ;)

But to your question specifically: there is absolutely nothing at all wrong with focussing on the process, but I don't believe that was the point in this thread with this particular table with these 5 headings : "Name" "Race" "Month" "Goal Time" "Actual Time".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Effort is between you and you.

This better Peter?

Name|Race|Month|Goal Time|Actual Time|How hard your Mammy says you trained
    Mossym|IM Copenhagen|August|10:59.999999||
    BTH|IM Copenhagen|August|9:44||
    shotgunmcos|Challenge Galway|June|Make the start line||
    Dory Dory|IM Louisville|October|11:30||
    sconhome | Challenge Galway| June | Partake & not get bogged down with work in the expo||
    Jackyback|IM Mont Tremblant|August|Good race execution is the goal||
    Jackyback|IM Barcelona|October|Survive and enjoy||

What's wrong with having some fun with the boys? ;)
    yes you achieved that BTH already focusses on the proccess of making excusses ;-)

Hi Peter! :)

But isn't targeting a time part of the process for many of us?? And let's be honest, those 5 boys more than likely had a number swirling somewhere in their pretty little heads when they tossed their names on the roster, but they just didn't have that certain little something to put it out there. I took the opportunity to shame them into putting it out there. And the beauty of this particular thread with this particular table is we can adjust our goal times (if needed) as our races draw near, which (it can be argued) is a legitimate part of the "process" of getting us to the start line.

And the beauty of this particular thread with this particular table is we can adjust our goal times (if needed) as our races draw near, which (it can be argued) is a legitimate part of the "process" of getting us to the start line.

the danger there dory, is that if you do move the goal time out, people can make one of two assumptions (that i can think of)

1) you've been lazy and haven't done the training required or
    2) you've done all the training, and based on that, realized you were "mickey swinging" ( a phrase i'm reusing from the times i've seen it used in this forum) with your prediction, and realistically you're not going to hit it

now i know, and you know, which of those everyone here is going to assume :)

Course we all had a time in mind. and if you had an IM done before, you'd be basing that on something solid. but if you've never pushed hard for 5 straight hours on the bike, or similar on the run, then it's based on nada. once i even know if i can walk after holding target wattage for 75% of the bike distance, then a number becomes real. right now, it's just mickey swinging..:)

One could also say that setting an IM target time is dangerous as there is so many variables in IM racing on the day. As an example you target 8:58 and cross the line in 9:02, less than 1% off your target time. Whats going to happen when you cross the finish line? Disappointment is likely to be one of the main feelings, naturally enough people tend to aim towards whole numbers like sub 10,11,12 etc.

I have never been one to shy away from putting my goals out there publicly but for me above all else i know (after lots of mistakes) if i sort the race execution piece the time will sort itself and the experience will be much more rewarding.

• Advertisement

I'm guessing I'm not equipped with a mickey???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

If I had a mark in mind I'd put it out there. But I don't. My goal is to be there and get whatever out of my body I can on the day.

IM and triathlon for that matter, I've learned is a rather pointless PB. But then aren't PBs or potential PBs pointless to anyone but the P?

long swims, short bikes, short swims, long bikes always the same but different.

My favourite goal from the thread is "don't get beaten by gibbo". Made me laugh. Reminded me of a mash up thread we had ages ago which was great craic.

I'm guessing I'm not equipped with a mickey???

it's proverbial dory. you swing whatever you want...:)

yes you achieved that BTH already focusses on the proccess of making excusses ;-)

You can always count on me for a list of excuses. The most consistent part of my training.

One could also say that setting an IM target time is dangerous as there is so many variables in IM racing on the day. As an example you target 8:58 and cross the line in 9:02, less than 1% off your target time. Whats going to happen when you cross the finish line? Disappointment is likely to be one of the main feelings, naturally enough people tend to aim towards whole numbers like sub 10,11,12 etc.

I have never been one to shy away from putting my goals out there publicly but for me above all else i know (after lots of mistakes) if i sort the race execution piece the time will sort itself and the experience will be much more rewarding.

i can answer that in 2004 i stopped a race becasue of it at 37-8 k in the run I was in 13th position at IM WA ( maybe i would have finished 14th but i did not care
    i wasnt slowing down anymore at this stage but not breaking 9 as i had wanted training 4 month on my own cycling through australia.

at the same time another athlete might have broken 9 using the fear not to get it and push more.

re the proccess of course everybody has a goal ( time , to be the best they can be , beat the training body or just have fun ) for different people differetn ways work differently.
    lance used the anger, bademan uses the smile
    at the end of the day people have to find a way that works for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

sconhome | Challenge Galway| June | Partake & not get bogged down with work in the expo||
    Fazz|Roth|July|8:xx||

Lot of work to do, primarily around muchos run improvement & different approach required & Time Mgt as ever.
    But not afraid of putting goal out there.

Fazz wrote: »
    Lot of work to do, primarily around muchos run improvement & different approach required & Time Mgt as ever.
    But not afraid of putting goal out there.

Apparently its a good race, from what i can remember:)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Fazz wrote: »
    RJM85|IM Maastricht|July|sub 10 or thereabouts||

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

Could someone please add as I'll make a mess of table.

IM Copenhagen target 10.15.
    Not sure how realistic but time will tell...

• Advertisement

RJM85|IM Maastricht|July|sub 10 or thereabouts||
    rodneyr1981|IM Copenhagen|August|10:15||

Advertisement