Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge

Comments

thomasj wrote: »
    That would be easy to lose

Just keep them attached to your headphones. If you're always losing headphones as well, then I have no solution :D

The U11 is my second device with no headphone jack, and it doesn't bother me. I have 2 pairs of BT headphones, then use the ones in the box, and the adaptor on occasion. It's not a huge deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

The one plus 5 is looking like an option for me.. I won't be buying anything major until January but so far the one plus looks nice. I purchased a P8 lite to get me over for 6 months it's not a bad little phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

The notifications on my galaxy are all messed up. Theyre not disappearing when I view them and push notifications aren't pushing. Anyone had this before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

sentient_6 wrote: »
    HTC U11.

I can't afford to buy the phone outright and I don't like the colour that Vodafone offered, too bright for me (the Sapphire Blue one) :(

Patww79 wrote: »

I suffer with migraine and brightness & reflective glare are a major trigger for me. I also am not a fan of HTC phones/software so I may be stuck with the phone I have for quite some time yet lol (not that there is a huge amount wrong with it) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

How easy is it to get a repair through warranty?

When my battery starts to degrade I want to get a new battery put in. A lot of the yanks on Reddit have done this for free through warranty.

i got the battery replaced on my s7 a few months ago by samsung, no questions asked. courier picked it up, brought it to their repair center, brought it back a few days later. didn't cost me a dime, even though i had bought the phone off adverts.ie early last year. all they needed was the serial and IMEI and they were happy to resolve the issue for me. between that, and a factory reset when i got it back, it's good as new, and SOT is back up to 5 hours. delighted :)

was tempted by the s8, but after handling a colleagues one it just felt a bit weird. also, the s7 seems to be built like a tank, so i can see myself replacing it with the same device if the worst ever happens. don't like edge screens, so that seems to rule out new samsung handsets for the next few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

anyone else do the google assistant thing I mentioned a few posts back?

great in the car being able to say ok google play songs by X on spotify. recognition very good and generally does what it is told but a few bugs here and there, will be great when it's finished I'd say

anyone else do the google assistant thing I mentioned a few posts back?

great in the car being able to say ok google play songs by X on spotify. recognition very good and generally does what it is told but a few bugs here and there, will be great when it's finished I'd say

It's grand. I wish it was more intuitive on some things. Also annoying that my snapchat units are stuck in the US now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's grand. I wish it was more intuitive on some things. Also annoying that my snapchat units are stuck in the US now!

I said remind me in 15 minutes the curry is cooking (for stirring reasons), 20 minutes later I unlock my phone and then it gives me the reminder the curry is cooking... not sure if that's how reminders are supposed to work but little things like that and the general thing of having to phrase something very specifically, if you say play "song by band on spotify" the wrong way it will search "by band on" in spotify and will actually only do anything if you unlock the phone

but will be great when it's more complete

can you press on the snap chat filter and change between metric and imperial? I think I could do that before but don't have snapchat anymore to test

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hi all, im due an upgrade with eir mobile from my current S6, they are offering me the S7 for €49 to stay on my current plan.
    Ive checked out a few reviews and the consensus seems to be the S7 has a better camera,battery [both most important to me personally] but also performs better so overall a better phone.
    Would you folks recommend the S7 or maybe spend a bit more for the S8? not sure if that would be worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Dcully wrote: »
    Hi all, im due an upgrade with eir mobile from my current S6, they are offering me the S7 for €49 to stay on my current plan.
    Ive checked out a few reviews and the consensus seems to be the S7 has a better camera,battery [both most important to me personally] but also performs better so overall a better phone.
    Would you folks recommend the S7 or maybe spend a bit more for the S8? not sure if that would be worth it.

Posted my view on the S8 above if it's any help to you :) I have an S6 Edge+ and an S7 Edge here at the moment and they're both still excellent phones. Only real-world difference between them IMO is the slightly bigger screen on the S6E+ and the MicroSD support of the S7E

The S8 is a pain to use in my view (the S8+ even more so - I played with both in the Samsung store before I decided), and the fragility of them is a concern.. I personally would be happier with a slightly thicker phone again if it meant better durability/usability, but that's not the current trend with Samsung it seems.

TL;DR: Go for the S7/S7E :)

The only thing that would worry me about the S7 is the sound level of the speaker is meant to be really poor in comparison to the S6 because of the waterproofing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking on the Eir website it has the S7 for free on 45 euro/month plan. I have the S7 Edge really love the phone can't really fault it.

Darren 83 wrote: »
    Looking on the Eir website it has the S7 for free on 45 euro/month plan. I have the S7 Edge really love the phone can't really fault it.

Yes im on €40/month 18month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I said remind me in 15 minutes the curry is cooking (for stirring reasons), 20 minutes later I unlock my phone and then it gives me the reminder the curry is cooking... not sure if that's how reminders are supposed to work but little things like that and the general thing of having to phrase something very specifically, if you say play "song by band on spotify" the wrong way it will search "by band on" in spotify and will actually only do anything if you unlock the phone

but will be great when it's more complete

can you press on the snap chat filter and change between metric and imperial? I think I could do that before but don't have snapchat anymore to test

Would this have anything to do with yer system language which may have got changed to us English to activate assistant?

You know it can just go back to English UK or Irish after assistant kicks in?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Lads what is the cheapest place to pick up a new s7?

Smashed my OPX on hols and spent a lot of time on the other half's S7. Was very impressed.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Lads what is the cheapest place to pick up a new s7?

Smashed my OPX on hols and spent a lot of time on the other half's S7. Was very impressed.

Thanks

Ebay should be grand as long as you know who to buy or try CEX for used ones which usually costs around 400-550euros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

I got my S7E back from having the front screen repaired by Fonfix this morning. The docket with it says the screen module was replaced but looks to be a complete new phone I got. I had a crack on the rear and also a couple of small chips on the silver frame which are all gone now. My phone was repaired through my insurance so I'm happy enough with a new phone for the €75 excess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭rizzee

I was half thinking my screen could break too as it's ruined with screen burn (not covered) and the insurance is still on it. How much are these fetching in good nick second hand?

They are still going 350-450 second hand , I got mine 380 new from a shop on adverts. Seems to be the going rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

rizzee wrote: »
    They are still going 350-450 second hand , I got mine 380 new from a shop on adverts. Seems to be the going rates.

Hi
    Is that shop still selling on adverts? Looking to buy a Samsung s7. Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

Is there ever going to be any software or security updates for the s7? On BTU and nothing for many months

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

im about to install G935FXXU1DQFM from june

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/

Hi lads just got upgraded to S7 from S6, reviews state the gorilla glass is more resistant and stronger all round, im guessing a good cover and screen protector are recommended all the same?

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭L360

Hey can someone tell me what the 5mp front camera (selfie) is like on the Galaxy S7? I have heard that pictures can be blurry and of bad quality.

For this reason I am also looking at the galaxy A5 which has a 16mp front camera thanks!

• Advertisement

L360 wrote: »
    Hey can someone tell me what the 5mp front camera (selfie) is like on the Galaxy S7? I have heard that pictures can be blurry and of bad quality.

For this reason I am also looking at the galaxy A5 which has a 16mp front camera thanks!

16MP means nothing. If anything, it's a bad thing because the pixels must be tiny on a sensor that size, so it would suck in anything resembling bad light. The S7 would have a much better selfie camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭ldr

Manually

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

L360 wrote: »

The selfie camera is not great compared to an Iphone 6. Very soft and yes the skin softening feature is turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

Hi lads just got upgraded to S7 from S6, reviews state the gorilla glass is more resistant and stronger all round, im guessing a good cover and screen protector are recommended all the same?

Any suggestions?

ive had this as a case for months
    https://obliqproduct.com/products/galaxy-s7-case-flex-pro?variant=20447956097
    dropped a few times, including face down from 4 foot onto concrete and still no cracks.
    Mine is in black, looks nice.

as for screen protectors they all seem to crack very easily on me.
    Yes i realise the irony that i pointed out about dropping it!

Notifications (particularly push notifications) are properly ****ed now.

Ultimate Rugby push notifications are coming through 2-3 days late. Android pay push notifications coming through about a day late. Thought someone had hacked my account the other day because MiTaxi said my driver was arriving, but it was just a 3 day old push notification.

Meanwhile other notifications won't clear. I am probably going to reset it tomorrow, before I do does anyone have a suggestion?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Sounds like "Doze", which can block push notifications.

Try adding each of apps you mentioned to the exclusion list.

Had the same problem with K9-mail but fixed the problem by excluding it from being "optimized".

Presume you're on Nougat.
    Settings -> Device Maintenance -> Battery -> Battery Usage -> Optimize battery usage
    Select "All Apps" and toggle the switch for each app you do not want "optimized".
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Notifications (particularly push notifications) are properly ****ed now.

Ultimate Rugby push notifications are coming through 2-3 days late. Android pay push notifications coming through about a day late. Thought someone had hacked my account the other day because MiTaxi said my driver was arriving, but it was just a 3 day old push notification.

Meanwhile other notifications won't clear. I am probably going to reset it tomorrow, before I do does anyone have a suggestion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Looking for a recommendation for another fast charger as my original charger is used for the wireless charger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Someone posted a bargain fast charger earlier in the thread. On pigsback.com.
    Edit: here it is EUR 5 + EUR 2 for delivery.
    Darren 83 wrote: »
    Looking for a recommendation for another fast charger as my original charger is used for the wireless charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭djr

The selfie camera is not great compared to an Iphone 6. Very soft and yes the skin softening feature is turned off.

the FFC seems to have a focal range that starts around 12-18 inches. any closer than that and it won't get a sharp picture. unlike the S8, the S7's FFC lacks autofocus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Any recommendations for a decent,good value S7 car charger that wont catch fire or blow up my phone/car?!!!My battery life is so crap now I need to get a car charger....Also,might get a power bank.Anyone recommend a decent one?Anker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

toby2111 wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a decent,good value S7 car charger that wont catch fire or blow up my phone/car?!!!My battery life is so crap now I need to get a car charger....Also,might get a power bank.Anyone recommend a decent one?Anker?

Yup Anker, have the single port version of this for nearly a year and love it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-Adapter-PowerDrive-Samsung/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499898253&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+car+charger

Their customer service is A1 too, I had to get a 6ft usb cable replaced and they sent a new 1 out to me within 2 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

I've my S7 now for about 2 weeks , I came from S3 so big jump.

In my S3 days I was a big flasher, of Roms, I'm feeling the urge to flash something in my s7.

I'm after, performance, stability, speed, best camera, lots of options in it, any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

lewis wrote: »

In my S3 days I was a big flasher, of Roms, I'm feeling the urge to flash something in my s7.

I'm after, performance, stability, speed, best camera, lots of options in it, any recommendations?

Had this one on my s7 excellent rom very popular https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development/rom-gelios-v1-0-android-7-0-tw-zkp4-t3499504
    Moved on to S8 plus had it a week fed up with touch wiz so stuck a custom rom on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭polaris68

I've been on the Superman ROM the past few months and find it excellent. The Dev hasn't updated it recently but he is promising to do so once he has finished a S8 port. He has just released this (Batman ROM) which might also be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Had this one on my s7 excellent rom very popular https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development/rom-gelios-v1-0-android-7-0-tw-zkp4-t3499504
    Moved on to S8 plus had it a week fed up with touch wiz so stuck a custom rom on it

@polaris68I see yours is a S7!!!! carefull I think the above is for the edge have a look anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Yup Anker, have the single port version of this for nearly a year and love it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Charger-Adapter-PowerDrive-Samsung/dp/B00VH84L5E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1499898253&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+car+charger

Their customer service is A1 too, I had to get a 6ft usb cable replaced and they sent a new 1 out to me within 2 days.

Another vote for Anker here. I use this one and am very happy with it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01K9MQ8WW?psc=1

Picked up a 6 pack of cables to go with it. Was sick of buying cables in petrol stations etc when stuck for one and then they'd stop working a few weeks later. No problems yet with the Anker cables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

@polaris68I see yours is a S7!!!! carefull I think the above is for the edge have a look anyway

Yeah, looks like it's for the edge.

It's been a long time since I've flashed any rom, it's the method, first flash twrp, then rom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

jayo26 wrote: »
    It-fix they always advertise on adverts.. To be honest I donno if they were aware it looks like someone got it as bil phone and sold it on? It wouldn't show up as been bared until the network had sent loads of letters and cancelled the account. It probably never was stolen.

Can I just update on this the shop rang me today out of the blue to ask when would I be up in Dublin to collect a new phone... Credit where its due they are on the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Why do you want to root the phone exactly? The Galaxy S7 already has stability, speed, great camera and a lot more options than stock Android. In fact some of the options are root like. Such as the use of Knox with Adhell and Package Disabler apps.

You will void your warranty when you root, your banking apps will stop working and if you don't use the stock camera app your picture quality will suffer too.

I would say give touchwiz a chance for a while and see how you get on. There are a lot of features under the hood. Flashing a stock Android rom would be a downgrade.

• Advertisement
Advertisement