Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Also Touchwiz's built in Greenify/App Killer/Whatever you want to call it is really good. It was updated recently which allows you to put appls to sleep permanently (until you open them up again).

This hasn't been rolled out to the S7 in an official OTA yet, but it's on the S8 and the apk works great with the S7. You can download it here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/device-maintenance/device-maintenance-1-0-26-2-release/device-maintenance-1-0-26-2-android-apk-download/

Version 1.0.26.2 works with the S7. The latest one 1.0.26.5 is for the Note7 apparently.

Samsung's find my mobile is also much better than Android Device manager, in that it can activate location even if it's turned off. This is not available on stock android. You can also enable ultra battery saving mode, which gives you another few days to find your phone.

I could go on and on with all the handy touchwiz features. But I'd be typing for the day.

I don't know if this an issue with the S7 per se but I've noticed it a lot since switching from an iPhone 6.

When I'm using a radio app such as TuneIn or RTE Radio Player on my mobile data while travelling, I find that the phone gets stuck on 3G and won't go back to 4G without either exiting the app or manually toggling it myself. Anyone else having this issue? I'm on Vodafone if that makes any difference.

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't know if this an issue with the S7 per se but I've noticed it a lot since switching from an iPhone 6.

When I'm using a radio app such as TuneIn or RTE Radio Player on my mobile data while travelling, I find that the phone gets stuck on 3G and won't go back to 4G without either exiting the app or manually toggling it myself. Anyone else having this issue? I'm on Vodafone if that makes any difference.

Whereabouts are you traveling? I find reception on the M8 motorway desperate.

I could just be on a bus from Swords to Dublin city and notice it (as is the case now). Been stuck on 3G since around Applewood even though it'll go to 4G if I exit the app, toggle flight mode or manually change the network type.

Why do you want to root the phone exactly? The Galaxy S7 already has stability, speed, great camera and a lot more options than stock Android. In fact some of the options are root like. Such as the use of Knox with Adhell and Package Disabler apps.

You will void your warranty when you root, your banking apps will stop working and if you don't use the stock camera app your picture quality will suffer too.

I would say give touchwiz a chance for a while and see how you get on. There are a lot of features under the hood. Flashing a stock Android rom would be a downgrade.

Samsung must have changed. Why does flashing a ROM mean losing TouchWiz? I used to always flash TouchWiz based ROMs on my Samsung devices which had all the features of Samsung, with extra bells and whistles.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Samsung must have changed. Why does flashing a ROM mean losing TouchWiz? I used to always flash TouchWiz based ROMs on my Samsung devices which had all the features of Samsung, with extra bells and whistles.

Oh. If it's a touchwiz based rom then you still have the features. But you're still rooting. What extra bells and whistles are you rooting the phone for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Oh. If it's a touchwiz based rom then you still have the features. But you're still rooting. What extra bells and whistles are you rooting the phone for?

On a Sammy? I wouldn't know these days, too out of the loop. Samsung aren't very developer friendly, so personally I would probably run stock. I can understand why some people do, though.

On an HTC, I run a ROM with hundreds of tweaks that you can pick and choose as you like. It has no impact on my warranty status, and doesn't affect android pay or my banking app, so why not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Also Touchwiz's built in Greenify/App Killer/Whatever you want to call it is really good. It was updated recently which allows you to put appls to sleep permanently (until you open them up again).

This hasn't been rolled out to the S7 in an official OTA yet, but it's on the S8 and the apk works great with the S7. You can download it here: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/device-maintenance/device-maintenance-1-0-26-5-release/device-maintenance-1-0-26-5-android-apk-download/

Version 1.0.26.2 works with the S7. The latest one 1.0.26.5 is for the Note7 apparently.

Samsung's find my mobile is also much better than Android Device manager, in that it can activate location even if it's turned off. This is not available on stock android. You can also enable ultra battery saving mode, which gives you another few days to find your phone.

I could go on and on with all the handy touchwiz features. But I'd be typing for the day.

Says download not installed - conflicts with app of the same name.

S7 edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm like basil I just love trying new roms and had my s7 flashed after two weeks.

You are limited to what you can do tho unfortunately because aosp roms are crap on s7 they are full of bugs so you are looking at keeping it Sammy based. I really enjoyed the s8 based roms and one big thing that ypu can get is multi user access I'm sure you already follow the xda forums there are some nice ports on that.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Says download not installed - conflicts with app of the same name.

S7 edge.

I mentioned in the post that Version 1.0.26.2 works with the S7. Try it again. Works perfectly. You were probably trying the latest version which is apparently for the re released Note7. Check the comments under each version.

Sorry I also noticed that I linked to the Note7 one instead of the S7 one! This one will work perfectly with the S7.

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/samsung-electronics-co-ltd/device-maintenance/device-maintenance-1-0-26-2-release/device-maintenance-1-0-26-2-android-apk-download/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭rizzee

Thanks a mil! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

I downloaded it yesterday and all ok. Thanks for the link. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Why do you want to root the phone exactly? The Galaxy S7 already has stability, speed, great camera and a lot more options than stock Android. In fact some of the options are root like. Such as the use of Knox with Adhell and Package Disabler apps.

You will void your warranty when you root, your banking apps will stop working and if you don't use the stock camera app your picture quality will suffer too.

I would say give touchwiz a chance for a while and see how you get on. There are a lot of features under the hood. Flashing a stock Android rom would be a downgrade.

For many reasons, to get rid of the bloatware, more tweaks for system UI, options to use other system options, from the likes of S8 camera, or S8 side panel, with full root I've complete control over All my phone, not just what you see when u rooted, also I can back up EVERYTHING with either TV, or TWRP, I still use both.

I could go on and on.

What would you use Knoxs for, that you couldn't get similar in the playstore?

Warranty, never bothered me with Samsung phones, you can't mess them up, even tough I have in the past, but there's always a way to revive them, right back to my S1 which I still have, that phone got a beating with Rom flashing.

I don't do banking on my phone.

In the aroma installer, you get the choice to keep stock camera, amongst MANY other options.

It's based on stock ROM, modded to perform and look like stock, but runs a hell of a lot better.

Touchwiz has come a long way, but I don't like the look of it, I'm up for something different than the norm, the likes of theamer (rip), now I'm using Buzz Launcher, fairly customisable.

I flashed Superman rom into it, it's very good so far, I'm a bit rusty at the flash process, it's been a while since I've done it, but I managed to do it and I'm happy I did.

The finger print scanner is definitely faster at recognising my finger.

I use Cerberus, have been for years, it does the job, but when you've root access along with Cerberus, you get more control and options over the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Need to get both sides of my phone repaired the glass is badly cracked on each side, anyone know of the best place to get this done and would also prefer to send and recieve it by courier or post because i live in cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Need to get both sides of my phone repaired the glass is badly cracked on each side, anyone know of the best place to get this done and would also prefer to send and recieve it by courier or post because i live in cavan

Prices for one side can be €200-250. If both sides are badly damaged, it may be more cost-effective to get a new (second-hand) phone from the likes of Adverts or eBay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Prices for one side can be €200-250. If both sides are badly damaged, it may be more cost-effective to get a new (second-hand) phone from the likes of Adverts or eBay.

I'll sell you mind if you're interested. Replacement phone Should be arriving from Aviva next week because the screen on my current one is smashed and I just want a change because I'm sick of the curve screen.
    So I'm looking to get a V20 or G6 for roughly the same price.
    I have the Gear VR and two cases going with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Hi folks,

Over the last few days I've been getting a weird pop-up on my Galaxy S7. Anyone know why, and how I can disable it (see attached for screenshot).

THanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭lenan

Apologies as I'm sure its being posted before. Ive just ordered a s7 & I'm looking for a strong case hopefully not too ugly (I drop my phone regularly) also can anyone recommend a screen protector as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭WexIan

I use a Spigen Tough Armor case and a Spigen Curved Crystel Screen Protector. My second Spigen case and no complaints.

RonnieL wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Over the last few days I've been getting a weird pop-up on my Galaxy S7. Anyone know why, and how I can disable it (see attached for screenshot).

THanks!

You`ve got bloatware on your phone, it`s either an app you`ve downloaded or something that came with the phone.

Go through your apps, like I say to anyone who asks me, if you don`t know or recognize an app get rid of it.
    lenan wrote: »
    Apologies as I'm sure its being posted before. Ive just ordered a s7 & I'm looking for a strong case hopefully not too ugly (I drop my phone regularly) also can anyone recommend a screen protector as well.

I got this case for my S7 and it`s been great, it feels well protected, it was a snug fit and it also has a screen protector built into the case.

I also has covers for all ports and the buttons have a good "clicky" feel to them, I`m happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,085 ✭✭✭markc1184

Is anyone using the Spigen curved crystal screen protector with a case, specifically with the Spigen Neo Hybrid case? Will the case cause the protector to lift? Also I have an S7E specific Brodit cradle for the car, would the protector interfere with the phone sitting into this?

lewis wrote: »
    For many reasons, to get rid of the bloatware, more tweaks for system UI, options to use other system options, from the likes of S8 camera, or S8 side panel, with full root I've complete control over All my phone, not just what you see when u rooted, also I can back up EVERYTHING with either TV, or TWRP, I still use both.

You can get rid of bloatware on the Galaxy S7 without rooting. Just use a package disabler which allows you to disable whatever system app you like. These work for Samsung phones only as it uses the Samsung Knox system to disable apps. It's like freezing an app with titanium backup. (I used to root phones a lot too, the S7 is the first phone I didn't need to root) The Knox system also allows you to use Adblockers designed specifically for Samsung. The most popular at the moment is Adhell, but Disconnect Pro is also popular. Adhell uses the lists from the popular root app Adaway, which was always the first thing I installed on my previous rooted phones.

There are system UI tweaks for the S7 too without root. You have the built in DPI changer and resolution changer. With the substratum app you can theme it even more. What other UI tweaks do you use with root apps?

You can back up everything using samsung smart switch without a need for root. I've used it when factory resetting the phone and works great.

OK you can't currently install the S8 camera on the S7 without root.
    lewis wrote: »

What would you use Knoxs for, that you couldn't get similar in the playstore?

I don't understand this question.

You can get rid of bloatware on the Galaxy S7 without rooting. Just use a package disabler which allows you to disable whatever system app you like. These work for Samsung phones only as it uses the Samsung Knox system to disable apps. It's like freezing an app with titanium backup. (I used to root phones a lot too, the S7 is the first phone I didn't need to root) The Knox system also allows you to use Adblockers designed specifically for Samsung. The most popular at the moment is Adhell, but Disconnect Pro is also popular. Adhell uses the lists from the popular root app Adaway, which was always the first thing I installed on my previous rooted phones.

There are system UI tweaks for the S7 too without root. You have the built in DPI changer and resolution changer. With the substratum app you can theme it even more. What other UI tweaks do you use with root apps?

You can back up everything using samsung smart switch without a need for root. I've used it when factory resetting the phone and works great.

OK you can't currently install the S8 camera on the S7 without root.

I don't understand this question.

I don't like just being able to disable, I want it gone completely from the phone.

I find the DPI works for me.

I usually tweak the status bar and pull down menus a lot, also the power/home key and a few gestures.
    Depending how performance goes, I'd OC the kernel, but I find when I kept the stock kernel for this ROM, it's very fast.

There was a few various other improvement tweaks that I had selected during the flash, network, camera, I can't remember the rest.

Factory resetting isn't the same as full wipe or clean install.

There was the option to have the S8 camera, even though there practically the same on it, also the option to have the side panel's feature from the S8, but I didn't go for that, didn't feel the need for it.

Another handy option now that I have is call recording, didn't have that on shtock.

I've always had TWRP and TB for backups, never failed with these two, even when I did mess up my phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,067 ✭✭✭jones

Anyone get any security update lately? On BTU but still on April security patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Speckydodge

jones wrote:
    Anyone get any security update lately? On BTU but still on April security patch.

Yeah only the other day. Btu also

Yeah only the other day. Btu also

I haven't gotten an update in months. On BTU also, regular S7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Patww79 wrote: »

I wonder why that is? Used to be the other way around, in that branded phones updates were always slower but I think they're getting them pushed first.
    Did the phone companies push Samsung for earlier releases due to customer complaints?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

My S7 Edge has a couple of screen issues now
    • horizontal dark bands that expand/contract as you adjust the brightness (examples)
    • pink pixel line on the right side of screen (examples)
    As you can see from the examples they seem to be common problems. Has anyone here tried getting this fixed with Three? I have the phone 15 months but I believe there is a 24 month warranty?

The fingerprint scanner is also very worn, but still working. The fingerprint scanner on my first S7 (replaced after lost/stolen) eventually stopped working after the surface wore down.

J o e wrote: »
    My S7 Edge has a couple of screen issues now
    • horizontal dark bands that expand/contract as you adjust the brightness (examples)
    • pink pixel line on the right side of screen (examples)
    As you can see from the examples they seem to be common problems. Has anyone here tried getting this fixed with Three? I have the phone 15 months but I believe there is a 24 month warranty?

The fingerprint scanner is also very worn, but still working. The fingerprint scanner on my first S7 (replaced after lost/stolen) eventually stopped working after the surface wore down.

Yes, you get a 2 year warranty.

How exactly do you manage to wreck the scanners? Never heard of this before.

Basil3 wrote: »
    How exactly do you manage to wreck the scanners? Never heard of this before.

I don't know - I must have a very abrasive thumb... :p

I did a quick Google and it does also seem to be a fairly common problem. Here's a photo from another forum that shows what I'm talking about (mine has less scratching but very similar wear. The top surface is gone in the center and the rest is ready to start peeling off.

bild-4-160611-jpg.76486

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my phone sometimes doesn't let the screen go to sleep after a notification and other times when I press the home button it just opens up google voice assistant thing no matter what and the only fix I've found is a restart..

any ideas for fixes for either?

I think I have some recollection of turning on a feature which stopped the screen from sleeping if the phone was being held (but not the face detection thing) but can't find where that option is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

the camera lens glass shattered in my pocket yesterday for no apparent reason . looked up how to repair it and see hundreds of people saying the same thing that the camera lens broke in their pocket . these phones dont seem to be the sturdiest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I did a quick Google and it does also seem to be a fairly common problem. Here's a photo from another forum that shows what I'm talking about (mine has less scratching but very similar wear. The top surface is gone in the center and the rest is ready to start peeling off.

bild-4-160611-jpg.76486

People must be really pressing down hard on their buttons/scanner. I've mine since April 2016 and the home button scanner is perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Something that always annoyed me about the S7 was the need to actually press the button before it would read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

bild-4-160611-jpg.76486

ya mine looks like that aswell

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Something that always annoyed me about the S7 was the need to actually press the button before it would read.

You have to press the button the wake up the phone, but it doesn't need to be pressed to read the fingerprint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Do volume boosters work at all? I mainly use Spotify and sometimes YouTube.

• Advertisement

You have to press the button the wake up the phone, but it doesn't need to be pressed to read the fingerprint.

It did for me?

Yep same here don't need to press it if screen is on. The best fingerprint scanner I've used is the Huawei one on the p8 lite it's super fast and recognise it from sleep the downside is when your taking phone out of your pocket it's easy to unlock it.

Patww79 wrote: »
    Mine way always the same too. If I woke the screen with the pwer button I only had to touch the scanner rather than press it and the phone would unlock.

Well thats my point, you can't just rest your finger and wake and unlock at the same time, as per every single other phone on the planet with a scanner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Well thats my point, you can't just rest your finger and wake and unlock at the same time, as per every single other phone on the planet with a scanner.
    why would you want the finger print scanner to always be scanning not just when the screen is ok

Latest update is now out for the BTU firmware.

Also, how the hell are people damaging the home button so badly? I've had mine a year and it's still shiny and new.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Got a screen protector on my S7 but it doesnt cover full screen with a few mm of the edges not covered so im looking to get a better one.
    Suggestions very welcome.

Dcully wrote: »
    Got a screen protector on my S7 but it doesnt cover full screen with a few mm of the edges not covered so im looking to get a better one.
    Suggestions very welcome.

If it's not ugly looking I wouldn't worry about it pal it's hard to get a protector to fit down the edges with a decent case too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭j14

Just got my phone back from a warranty repair (the back glass came away from the phone). They also replaced the screen as it had a vertical green line on it.
    My new repaired screen now has a black dead zone.

Would it be cheeky to send it back again?

Advertisement