Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay Seller's Account Compromised

Options
  • 01-02-2016 1:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an item from a seller on eBay last night and all looked fine, I got the usual order confirmation email from eBay and also payment receipt email from PayPal a short time after ordering.

This morning I got an email from eBay telling me that there is a problem with the transaction.
    You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item:
    151967604654 - New OPENBOX V8S Full HD Digital Freesat PVR TV Satellite Receiver Box Genuine

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:
    If you already paid for the item:
    - Please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.
    If you have not paid for your item:
    - Consider this transaction canceled and do not send payment.
    In this situation, your account was not accessed by the third party involved. At eBay, we take a number of steps to help ensure the security of your account. Learn more about protecting your account at:
    http://pages.ebay.ie/help/account/protecting.html
    Regards,
    eBay

I rang PayPal to see what needed to be done and they tell me they have to wait at least 7 days before they can open a dispute or reverse the transaction.

When I check the transaction in my ebay account it says this
    We had to remove this listing from the site and you're not required to complete the transaction. If you've already sent payment, the sale should process as normal and you don't have anything to worry about. If you have any questions about delivery, please check tracking or contact your seller. If you run into any trouble along the way eBay is here to help. Please visit the Resolution Centre to help resolve any problems you may encounter.

Are eBay just being overly cautious with the email and do ye think I will get delivery of the item? The delivery estimate was 17th Feb - 4th Mar. Should I wait and see if the item arrives and open a dispute if it does not arrive or should I open a dispute myself now or in a week?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I had this before and I had already paid, the item arrived a week later and that was it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I had this before and I had already paid, the item arrived a week later and that was it.

It is coming from Spain apparently. PayPal even said that I could wait till the due date and see if it arrived as I have 180 days in which to start a dispute and they had no evidence that the seller had not processed the order or was not going to send it. Often items get taken off site for breaching the guidelines but sellers still complete the orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

foggy_lad wrote: »
    It is coming from Spain apparently. PayPal even said that I could wait till the due date and see if it arrived as I have 180 days in which to start a dispute and they had no evidence that the seller had not processed the order or was not going to send it. Often items get taken off site for breaching the guidelines but sellers still complete the orders.

Yes Id give it a reasonable time frame to arrive before opening a dispute.

Advertisement