Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola confirmed as new Man City Manager

• 01-02-2016 2:11pm

Confirmed on SSN Pellegrini to leave in Summer and Pep to step in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Well, we're boned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Never heard of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

CaIaMSSWYAEgHTs.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

In for 3 years, buy loads of players, win stuff, leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Guffy

Pellegrini should finish 5th and tell Pep to piss off and enjoy the europa league next season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Be fascinating to see how he does. Expectations will be sky high. Interesting times for the premier league.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Pity he wouldn't take a more challenging role. Would love to see how he would have done at Man U.

Onto PSG after that. Then Celtic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Pity he wouldn't take a more challenging role. Would love to see how he would have done at Man U.

Onto PSG after that. Then Celtic.

No surprise given all the leaks.

Thought Arsenal would be a better fit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Its not really surprising at all and it suits his MO to a tee.

It will be a bigger challenge than Barca or Bayern but instant gratification will be the minimum requirement, it will be very interesting how he fares out in a much more challenging league than he has ever been in.

• Advertisement

The players he will bring in should be interesting. Some big names I'd imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

A horrible, horrible club in the way they do things.

doc_17 wrote: »

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Strange comment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Best signing City could have made in this transfer window.

They might finally push on in Europe now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Neymar for City

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    ?
    TheNap wrote: »
    Strange comment

I mean in the way they are treating Pelligrini. Isn't he still under contract?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

Neymar for City

I'd actually be a bit surprised if one of Messi, Suarez, Neymar didn't end up at City now

Would love to see Messi in the premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Pelligrini has known the score for a long time

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

And now the Messi signing will be completed

Pelligrini has known the score for a long time

Yeah I know but would be funny if he won the quadruple now!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭john why

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Would love to see Messi in the premiership.

How much would Messi cost in today's market?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

my friend wrote: »

€1,200,000.00 per week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

In fairness his contract is up at the end of the season so its really only forward planning, they are nowhere near our standard just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Great appointment from City. Looking forward to seeing how he does in the EPL, and who he signs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What do you think they should have done instead? Do the negotiations with Pep in secret?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What do you think they should have done instead? Do the negotiations with Pep in secret?

They should have announced it when the season is over

RasTa wrote: »
    They should have announced it when the season is over

The reason for the announcement now (as outlined in the club statement) is to spare Pellegrini having to deal with speculation the entire time, which Manuel supported. I think that's fair enough.

• Advertisement

I was mistaken in that I thought Pelligirini was under contract for another couple of seasons. However say he wins the league and the Champions League it would be fairly crazy to get rid of a manager like that. I know their hand was forced by Guadiola's announcements but he hasn't done anything remarkable since he left Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pep likes plenty of money to spend, and he's probably going to the place with the most.

I'm going to hazard a guess he might win a few things and be hailed as a genius.

Feel sorry for Pelligrini, appears to be a decent man with a good track record.

A much under-rated manager.

Maybe Utd should bring him in?

• doc_17 wrote: »
    I was mistaken in that I thought Pelligirini was under contract for another couple of seasons. However say he wins the league and the Champions League it would be fairly crazy to get rid of a manager like that. I know their hand was forced by Guadiola's announcements but he hasn't done anything remarkable since he left Barca.
    He's got a lot to prove considering he has not managed in England but when you look at Man City's spending power I don't forsee Pep having issues winning trophies when he has the power to attract players with both his own success and by firing whatever money he want's at any player he wants.
    Alarmingly for me as a Utd fan this could usher in a period of real dominance for years to come.
    Pep chose the safe option IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

This is going to be a massive test for guardiola

City team is ageing and he is going to need at least 5/6 top players for them to be competing in Europe

This will be our only chance of seeing messi in premier league
    If they don't get him this summer I can't see him coming at all

Neymar only recently said he would love to play under guardiola so most likely will see him instead of messi

Going to be great to have him in premier league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

john why wrote: »
    How much would Messi cost in today's market?
    €1,200,000.00 per week

It was reported last week that Messi's salary will be almost €39 million next year at Barca.
    So... you have a nice income, live in a nice city/country. Have some decent colleagues to kick about with....

Personally i would say the epl can go where the sun doent shine in that situation.

• Advertisement

• This is going to be a massive test for guardiola

City team is ageing and he is going to need at least 5/6 top players for them to be competing in Europe

This will be our only chance of seeing messi in premier league
    If they don't get him this summer I can't see him coming at all

Neymar only recently said he would love to play under guardiola so most likely will see him instead of messi

Going to great to have him in premier league

Is it?

I look at there squad and other than Toure I don't see any other major problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

A test would be him joining Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. With City he once again has unlimited resources and transfer money. He'll never be a great coach until he goes to a smaller club and greatly improves them.
    In my opinion Pochettino, Klopp are both better than him.
    That's coming from an Arsenal fan

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The worst part about this is it's going to make the United thread unbearable for the duration of his contract.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Is it?

I look at there squad and other than Toure I don't see any other major problems.

Theyve issues at CB, Mangala, Otamendi and Demicihelis all look lost without Kompany whos a bit of a sick note the last 2 years and he himself hasnt been at the his best because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

A massive shock. I cannot believe he went to City.

Said no one ever.

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    Theyve issues at CB, Mangala, Otamendi and Demicihelis all look lost without Kompany whos a bit of a sick note the last 2 years and he himself hasnt been at the his best because of it.

Fair enough, but if Kompany get's fit and stays fit maybe one other CB?

So a CB, replacement for Toure and a big named attacker?
    I think 2 or 3 major signings would be enough to have them dominate and can see no issue why it won't happen as soon as he takes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

DeclanRe wrote: »
    A test would be him joining Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool. With City he once again has unlimited resources and transfer money. He'll never be a great coach until he goes to a smaller club and greatly improves them.
    In my opinion Pochettino, Klopp are both better than him

God, this sort of stuff is nothing other than a load of bollocks.

Pochettino isn't even fit to clean Guardiola's shoes at this point in time.

They will demand the CL trophy, nothing else.
    EPL has been done already by less genius managers, if he doesn't bring the CL I would say he will have failed at City.

They will demand the CL trophy, nothing else.
    EPL has been done already by less genius managers, if he doesn't bring the CL I would say he will have failed at City.

GavRedKing wrote: »

I think 2 or 3 major signings would be enough to have them dominate and can see no issue why it won't happen as soon as he takes over.

I think we need to get new blood in the full backs as well. All of Clichy, Zabaleta, Sagna and Kolarov are 30 or over and past their best. Other than that I think we're doing well.

100%, although I think given their current squad and money available, a better manager or Pep signing back in 2012, would have had them winning the last 3 or 4 league titles and done better in Europe.

They have always hired better version of the guy theyve sacked, Hughes -> Mancini -> Pellegrini -> Pep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

DeclanRe wrote: »
    In my opinion Pochettino, Klopp are both better than him.

Well his kinda failed at Bayern, pissed the league granted, but they are so far ahead off everyone else in Germany at the moment. His got two hidings in cpl semis last two years

• GavRedKing wrote: »
    100%, although I think given their current squad and money available, a better manager or Pep signing back in 2012, would have had them winning the last 3 or 4 league titles and done better in Europe.

They have always hired better version of the guy theyve sacked, Hughes -> Mancini -> Pellegrini -> Pep.

Progression clearly. It's not just the managers, it's the youth system / stadium / sponsorship deals.
    I'm genuinely worried as a Utd fan tbh

https://twitter.com/MCFC/status/694164741401374720

Manuel's last words at the press conference today, wraps it up nicely.

• Advertisement
Advertisement