Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola confirmed as new Man City Manager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

SantryRed wrote: »
    God, this sort of stuff is nothing other than a load of bollocks.

Pochettino isn't even fit to clean Guardiola's shoes at this point in time.

:rolleyes: Haha cheers, In my Opinion he inherited a great team at Barcelona with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi etc
    He did well, but i Personally think most decent managers could have done great with that team.
    He left, to go to a Champions league winning team with Bayern and couldn't replicate the heights they reached prior to him, unless he does it this year..
    So i don't Think he's the greatest manager of all time, and there are lots of managers who could have done what he did, with the resources and players that were handed to him

Again this is an opinion, so try not to get to annoyed by it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Progression clearly. It's not just the managers, it's the youth system / stadium / sponsorship deals.
    I'm genuinely worried as a Utd fan tbh

Well UEFA FFP hasnt stopped and wont stop teams spending money, if City decide to change things up and bring in 200-250m worth of talent the rest of the league and not just Utd, will be fighting for the other 19 positions.

They will have serious pull now, theyve got one of the best managers in the world coming in, they can offer more money than any team in the league and theres a new project starting under Guardiola, if it comes down to a battle between City and any other EPL for a star player, odds are hes going to end up with City.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I think we need to get new blood in the full backs as well. All of Clichy, Zabaleta, Sagna and Kolarov are 30 or over and past their best. Other than that I think we're doing well.

Don't worry knowing Guardiola he'll try reinvent them to centre backs/midfielders like he did with Lahm & Alaba and play Rafinha types at rb :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

This is going to be a massive test for guardiola

City team is ageing and he is going to need at least 5/6 top players for them to be competing in Europe

This will be our only chance of seeing messi in premier league
    If they don't get him this summer I can't see him coming at all

Neymar only recently said he would love to play under guardiola so most likely will see him instead of messi

Going to be great to have him in premier league

A massive test?

Will you give over. He'll be taking over a team which are likely going to be league champions with an endless supply of funds.

Its been said already but Peps real test wont be the league per se, its how far he progresses with City in Europe.

Everyone will expect City to cruise to the league title over the coming years so right now, Leicester, Spurs and Arsenal will never have a better time to win the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

The real test will be Stoke on a cold Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭PEACEBROTHER

magma69 wrote: »
    A massive test?

Will you give over. He'll be taking over a team which are likely going to be league champions with an endless supply of funds.

Im sure hes been brought in to progress further in champions league / win it

IMO its a massive test to re-structure this city team to win champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

inforfun wrote: »
    It was reported last week that Messi's salary will be almost €39 million next year at Barca.
    So... you have a nice income, live in a nice city/country. Have some decent colleagues to kick about with....

Personally i would say the epl can go where the sun doent shine

England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

This is going to be a massive test for guardiola

City team is ageing and he is going to need at least 5/6 top players for them to be competing in Europe

Luckily for him they are not short of a few bob. Pep + mountains of cash means they should be able to sign whoever they like bar maybe the usual suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

League will be very tough for him next season.

Resurgent Chelsea under a new manager
    Resurgent Liverpool under Klopp
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Possibly Leicester

Will all be up there fighting for the title next season.

Oops did I forget someone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he has went to City, the reasons why he would were obvious months ago.

It is disappointing though that he continues to play the manager game on "easy" mode.

rob316 wrote: »

Resurgent Chelsea under a new manager - Wont win it, top 4 maybe.
    Resurgent Liverpool under Klopp - Wont win it, like Chelsea, maybe a top 4 fight is on the cards.
    Arsenal - Best chance of one more title is this year, top 3 next year.
    Spurs - Wont win it or come near.
    Possibly Leicester - Will be doing well to come top 8 next year.

You may have left out another manchester based side who also, like the above sides, wont match City in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Does this mean that England will win the World Cup as we all know that it was his nine months of influence at Bayern that helped Germany win the World Cup.

getmecoat.gif

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

jmayo wrote: »
    Does this mean that England will win the World Cup as we all know that it was his nine months of influence at Bayern that helped Germany win the World Cup.

getmecoat.gif

Hey he will have even more time in England by the time the world cup comes around, so I think its a obvious yes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Progression clearly. It's not just the managers, it's the youth system / stadium / sponsorship deals.
    I'm genuinely worried as a Utd fan tbh

City have by far and away the best marketing department in the PL and maybe Europe they really have all their stuff together. Other clubs in England have not fallen too far behind City (if at all to be honest) but if they don't get their stuff together they will.

There may be the odd joke about the stadium not being full I have no idea what the actual fill factor is but I am fairly certain any problem is short lived.

There is a lot to admire about how City go about their business, I hope Roman starts making some of their smart decisions soon.

Do they now have the best football manager to go with everything else, I really am not sure but will be a hell of a ride finding out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Absolutely no surprise whatsoever that he has went to City, the reasons why he would were obvious months ago.

It is disappointing though that he continues to play the manager game on "easy" mode.

Amen to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

rob316 wrote: »

Resurgent Chelsea under a new manager
    Resurgent Liverpool under Klopp
    Arsenal
    Spurs
    Possibly Leicester

West ham ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

City wanted to be the biggest football club, not the most profitable. No club can compete with that, any money City could make would be pocket change considering the personal wealth of the owners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭tanko

What are the chances of Pellegrini going to Man Utd or Chelsea?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Excellent news. Interesting to read that we had been negotiating with Pep as far back as 2012, and had "curtailed" the discussions back then. Looking forward to next season although, as has been already said, the Premier League will be a lot tougher than the Bundesliga. Good luck Pep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

BMJD wrote: »

Both articles are year(s) old.
    The right people have been greased and that was the end of it.
    PSV had a mini-Real deal in The Netherlands where they sold the ground under the stadium to the City of Eindhoven.
    Also been investigated by UEFA and EU.
    Nothing will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

tanko wrote: »
    What are the chances of Pellegrini going to Man Utd or Chelsea?

Can see him take over Chile national team
    Sampaoli has left.

Back at home, great squad.

Allthough...
    “I hope to remain with competitive teams in Europe. I am not thinking about returning to Chile at least for the next three or four years,” Pellegrini said in comments attributed to Radio Cooperativa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Id be of the opinion that it was disrespectful of City to be in negotiations with another manager while they still had one competing well in all 4 competitions.

I wouldn't be Pellegrini's greatest fan as a manager and think he could easily have been dispensed of at the end of the season, but replacing your manager is not the same as replacing your left-full where you're constantly in the market for the best available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

If he doesn't win the CL during his tenure it will and should be considered a failure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Man City didnt want Utd or Chelsea getting Guardiola so they swooped in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

jmayo wrote: »

getmecoat.gif

Nice dig, subtle. I don't remember saying he deserves all the credit for it or even half the credit. Though clearly you, JMayo of Boards.ie, know more about what contributed to the success of the German national team,and are therefore better placed to comment on contributing factors than the likes of Joachim Low or Mathias Summer or Philips Lahm or Johan Cruyff. Clearly it is your opinion, and not their opinions, that really count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,371 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

DeclanRe wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Haha cheers, In my Opinion he inherited a great team at Barcelona with Xavi, Iniesta and Messi etc
    He did well, but i Personally think most decent managers could have done great with that team.
    He left, to go to a Champions league winning team with Bayern and couldn't replicate the heights they reached prior to him, unless he does it this year..
    So i don't Think he's the greatest manager of all time, and there are lots of managers who could have done what he did, with the resources and players that were handed to him

Again this is an opinion, so try not to get to annoyed by it ;)

Almost any manager would have stuck with a lot of the better players at Barca at the time who had brought them back to success after it looked Luke they were heading off a cliff. Instead the likes of Ronaldinho and Deco were shown the door as Pep needed players willing to adapt to his methods and these set down a marker to the rest of the team that it was put up or shut up.

He turned a very good team into the most complete footballing outfit I've seen in my lifetime. The idea that Pochettino is even fit to be named in the same breath as him is a ridiculous opinion imo. It's like saying Jamie Vardy has been a better player in his career than Cristiano Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Liam O wrote: »
    Almost any manager would have stuck with a lot of the better players at Barca at the time who had brought them back to success after it looked Luke they were heading off a cliff. Instead the likes of Ronaldinho and Deco were shown the door as Pep needed players willing to adapt to his methods and these set down a marker to the rest of the team that it was put up or shut up.

He turned a very good team into the most complete footballing outfit I've seen in my lifetime. The idea that Pochettino is even fit to be named in the same breath as him is a ridiculous opinion imo. It's like saying Jamie Vardy has been a better player in his career than Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ye but with the benefit of hindsight everybody is an expert.

You'll find that opinions like that do tend to crop on from time to time on this board, particularly where it relates to Guardiola and Barcelona stuff in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

mikeym wrote: »
    Man City didnt want Utd or Chelsea getting Guardiola so they swooped in.

I'd say it was all agreed a good while ago. Pellegrini said he knew it was a done deal a month ago so it was probably all agreed even before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If he doesn't win the CL during his tenure it will and should be considered a failure.

As his tenure at Bayern should be if he doesn't win in Europe this season.

Don't care how many records he has broken in the league. It's the same trophy whether you finish 1 point ahead of 2nd or 20. Any other coach in the league would lift the league title with the resources he has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

NIMAN wrote: »
    Pep likes plenty of money to spend, and he's probably going to the place with the most.

I'm going to hazard a guess he might win a few things and be hailed as a genius.
    A lot of managers spend a lot of money and do shíte.

Why wouldn't he? I mean, did you ever take a job because you thought it would be more of a challenge or would you take the easier one with more money and less pressure? His way is 3/4 years at a club, he obviously doesn't want to hang around for years there, so taking a club like Liverpool who don't have the squad or money to build them up in that time would be pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Pellegrini to Chelsea in the summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

If he can't win it with Bayern, then his time there has to be considered a failure too.

I'd say it was all agreed a good while ago. Pellegrini said he knew it was a done deal a month ago so it was probably all agreed even before that.
    City and Pep were having discussions back in 2012, but they were "curtailed" for some unspecified reason; Mancini winning the PL, maybe? It seems to have been accepted within footballing circles for some time now that once we appointed the Barca bigwigs (Txiki and Ferran), it was only going to be a matter of time before we went after Pep. I'd also be pretty confident that MP went into the job knowing full well that if an opportunity arose to appoint Guardiola, the club would seize that chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Cienciano wrote: »
    A lot of managers spend a lot of money and do shíte.

Why wouldn't he? I mean, did you ever take a job because you thought it would be more of a challenge or would you take the easier one with more money and less pressure? His way is 3/4 years at a club, he obviously doesn't want to hang around for years there, so taking a club like Liverpool who don't have the squad or money to build them up in that time would be pointless.

In terms of judging his legacy as a manager, he'll never stack up to the greats of the game no matter how many league titles he wins unless he takes a challenging role. That's the way I see it anyhow.

It's just a bit frustrating because he's obviously a very talented manager, it would be great to see how he would do not taking the easiest route possible.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Why wouldn't he?

I never said he couldn't. I just don't want to hear that he is the greatest when all he does is take the worlds richest clubs to the success they were going to have anyway.

You don't need to be the world greatest to do that, so don't claim to be the worlds greatest for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Pep is the real life version of that guy that goes into the editor of championship manager and gives their team a billion and the best players in the world!

Top coach no doubt but for me can't be considered an all time great until he achieves with a "smaller" team.
    Of course i am a wee bit jelly, city now have one of the best managers and unlimited funds, at least he did'nt go to utd :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Nice dig, subtle. I don't remember saying he deserves all the credit for it or even half the credit. Though clearly you, JMayo of Boards.ie, know more about what contributed to the success of the German national team,and are therefore better placed to comment on contributing factors than the likes of Joachim Low or Mathias Summer or Philips Lahm or Johan Cruyff. Clearly it is your opinion, and not their opinions, that really count.

Youre back :D, I think we can both honestly say were sad hes gone to City :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Pellegrini came off as a proper class act today and during all the gossip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

they can't spell finalised or are using US spell check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Ugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,053 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Pellegrini came off as a proper class act today and during all the gossip.

Indeed, one of the few left in a sport full of fakes.

I remember after the Liverpool v City game in the 13/14 title race, Liverpol won the game which made them massive favourites for the league but still Pellegrini stood at the tunnell and shook hands with the Liverpool lads as they came off the pitch, he did'nt do it for the cameras, if he did he would have shook their hands out on the pitch where everyone could see him, pure class.
    Would like to see him win the league and CL double this year for himself.

I never said he couldn't. I just don't want to hear that he is the greatest when all he does is take the worlds richest clubs to the success they were going to have anyway.

You don't need to be the world greatest to do that, so don't claim to be the worlds greatest for doing it.
    Has he himself ever actually said he's the greatest manager/coach in the world?

blueser wrote: »
    Has he himself ever actually said he's the greatest manager/coach in the world?

He keeps saying it in our 5-a-side game and it winds the lads up no end. :rolleyes:

Seriously, its a message board, my point was more than clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,914 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I wonder are the Messi to man city rumours true? Or is it just a ploy by his agent to get more money from Barca?
    Let's be honest if you were Messi would you go to Manchester?
    It will be interesting if Pep can rebuild city all the raw material is there youth system and plenty of cash.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Pellegrini really has shown his class at this difficult time. That said, I don't think he is the greatest manager in the world. With the squad of players and money at his disposal the league should be over by now.

United are going to be reeling from this. The combination of Pep and a bottomless pit of money will be a force that Old Trafford just can't compete with. I would see their demise accelerating from here.

I wonder are the Messi to man city rumours true? Or is it just a ploy by his agent to get more money from Barca?
    Let's be honest if you were Messi would you go to Manchester?
    It will be interesting if Pep can rebuild city all the raw material is there youth system and plenty of cash.
    Messi won't come to us. We're not that deluded! He's been at Barca for years, they're his club. I can only see him leaving when he's coming to the end of his career, to play for a couple of years back in Argentina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The whole affair has been handled in a pretty classless manner from City and Guardiola.

I'd love to see City win the champions league now and beat Bayern along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

The whole affair has been handled in a pretty classless manner from City and Guardiola.

I'd love to see City win the champions league now and beat Bayern along the way.

Although everyone knew, it was a strange move. Did they give their reasoning?

• Advertisement
Advertisement