Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pep Guardiola confirmed as new Man City Manager

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The proof is in the pudding. I leave the thread yet still more comments about Andersonisgod, not only comments but lies. I don't want to be misrepresented, so I set that lie straight again. I have no further desire to continue posting on this thread but if a fellow poster blatantly mosquotes you in an effort to insult you then naturally you will respond, that's only fair.

I'm not referring to the Guardiola agreement, you'll see I'm on a similar enough side to the argument.

I'm referring to you complaining about receiving attention that other people wouldn't receive but then actively coveting that sort of negative attention by referring to yourself continuously in the 3rd person:

And you knew well that was what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

CSF wrote: »
    I'm not referring to the Guardiola agreement, you'll see I'm on a similar enough side to the argument.

I'm referring to you complaining about receiving attention that other people wouldn't receive but then actively coveting that sort of negative attention by referring to yourself continuously in the 3rd person:

And you knew well that was what I meant.

Yes, you are talking about people singling me out and you claim that doesn't happen. I am saying that it's happened right here in this thread. It's happened after I promised to leave the thread. Not only have I been referenced but I've been wrongly accused of saying something which I absolutely didn't. That's what we are talking about.

Yes, you are talking about people singling me out and you claim that doesn't happen. I am saying that it's happened right here in this thread. It's happened after I promised to leave the thread. Not only have I been referenced but I've been wrongly accused of saying something which I absolutely didn't. That's what we are talking about.

Sorry, where did I claim that doesn't happen? I claim that it does happen, and that you actively covet it as illustrated above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

You can't blood youth players from your own squad in such a short spell at a club with such high expectations unless they're already there at an extremely high standard. He's shown a willingness to do so at Barca already.

I'm too young to remember the early Fergie years but from my recollection the class of 95 was a long time coming before it came. Youth systems that meet the philosophy of the manager can take a long time coming and usually reap the most benefits when a manager is a long-term project. They don't seem to exist in this generation of football managers at the elite level of football.

Oh, i am aware of that.
    I know bringing in 4 or 5 youth players in a short period is a rare thing in the top and if it happens, it is purely because there is no other option.

I was only trying to make it out that i think those 5, bar 1, were not young or youth and were bought for the first team. As recent as this season.

inforfun wrote: »
    Oh, i am aware of that.
    I know bringing in 4 or 5 youth players in a short period is a rare thing in the top and if it happens, it is purely because there is no other option.

I was only trying to make it out that i think those 5, bar 1, were not young or youth and were bought for the first team. As recent as this season.

I'd still wager the integration of those young lads (although I don't think Vidal is that young) into an elite European team is a feather in his cap.

There wasnt much choice with Coman and Costa, seeing Robben and Ribery have played 20 matches combined this season.
    But those 2 gelled in nicely, that is true.

Vidal is 28 and came from Juve. Before that Leverkusen. Would have been surprsiing had he not adapted quickly.

Sorry, where did I claim that doesn't happen? I claim that it does happen, and that you actively covet it as illustrated above.

You think so? I don't care what you think about that particular matter. I've said my piece and I've righted a wrong so I'm out.

You think so? I don't care what you think about that particular matter. I've said my piece and I've righted a wrong so I'm out.

I think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Strange I'm not interesting enough to be followed around yet it's become clear, based on the facts, that that's exactly what you've done. Either quote excerpts from my original first paragraph and relate it back to your post and I'll make an argument against that or just stop. I don't often call people out on this but no, I know I'm in the right here so I'm making an issue of it. Quote me, relate it back to your post or simply stop replying and I'll stop replying and this thread can get back to serving its purpose.

Where did I say that on this thread? Why is it relevant to my original post? Why aren't you having a go at any other poster who doesn't use the term "in my opinion" when stating a football opinion on this board? Check out any thread on this board, check out the Gary Neville Valencia manager thread, the last comment on that is an opinion passed off as fact. Almost every post on this board is the same. But I'm the one being asked for proof by you? I'm the only one who you say tries to pass off opinion as fact? Well my friend that's blatantly incorrect.

Anyway I'm going to leave this thread for now. I've made my point, I've highlighted the hypocrisy of it, I'm proud of how I've conducted myself here.

Just to set you straight on something, as you seem to think you're being lied about, and you seem to think you're the bastion of truth...

I never once said you need to show me proof of anything. Not once. Never. I said you don't have proof that Rafa was embraced by the UK media, and that he was 'embraced' because his style of play suits England. I never asked you for proof. I just said there isn't any. I just said you're saying it because it suits your narrative that the Premier League, and those who vouch for it, are suspicious of Pep and his methods.

So don't fúcking make out you're being cornered to give evidence for what you say. You're not. You just got píssed off because you didn't like what I said, so you played the 'I'm being singled out' card.

The funny thing is, I like Pep. I think he's one of the greats. I think the City job will be his toughest, and I can't wait to see him in the Premier League.

Also, with you, I find a lot of what you say very helpful, and adds to discussion. You're obviously passionate about football, and Barcelona in particular, but I just wish you'd stop making out you're being picked on.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Just to set you straight on something, as you seem to think you're being lied about, and you seem to think you're the bastion of truth...

I never once said you need to show me proof of anything. Not once. Never. I said you don't have proof that Rafa was embraced by the UK media, and that he was 'embraced' because his style of play suits England. I never asked you for proof. I just said there isn't any. I just said you're saying it because it suits your narrative that the Premier League, and those who vouch for it, are suspicious of Pep and his methods.

So don't fúcking make out you're being cornered to give evidence for what you say. You're not. You just got píssed off because you didn't like what I said, so you played the 'I'm being singled out' card.

The funny thing is, I like Pep. I think he's one of the greats. I think the City job will be his toughest, and I can't wait to see him in the Premier League.

Also, with you, I find a lot of what you say very helpful, and adds to discussion. You're obviously passionate about football, and Barcelona in particular, but I just wish you'd stop making out you're being picked on.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again. I want to leave this thread but people keep calling out Andersonisgod so I gotta come back again and again to respond to these claims being made about me.

What you are saying is a matter of semantics really in the scheme of a football forum. In a court of law perhaps you'd have a case there, but on an informal football forum like this, speaking of proof in the manner which you did "The second part...again, you're making that up to suit your narrative. You've just thrown out this 'belief system' nonsense like it's fact, when there's not an ounce of proof that's the case. Like, zero" is an invitation to the poster to back up his argument with proof or go away. My point is simple, no other poster is accosted about proof. Scour this forum and you will find a lot of opinions, some safe, some that out pretty out of the box, and yet I rarely see anyone leveled with accusations that there is no proof to back up their point. Yet it seems I must reference my comments. This is not a one off thing either by the way. Again, I state that Andersonisgod is held to a higher standard than any other poster because no other poster is asked for proof, references or sources as often as Andersonisgod.

By the way, if we are going to get into semantics, I'd like to see proof of where I claim I am the sole "bastion of truth" otherwise I think you're putting more words in my mouth.

How many comments, on this thread alone, reference me? How many of those comments from posters who I wasn't even engaged in discussion with? How many of those falsely represent things that they claim to have seen me say? I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm stating a fact that, if you have some spare time, you can check. Browse through the pages of this thread, count the Andersonisgod references, count how many claims I've disputed in regards to false representation of what I've said previously. After you've done that, then consider "is he being singled out?"

Absolutely, I'm an excellent poster. I love football, I speak about it very often. It's a shame that so much of my time then is spent defending myself on this forum and not talking more about football.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Boskowski wrote: »
    Vidal, Costa, Coman, Thiago, Kimmich.
    I said it elsewhere, he's not bad. To be considered a great Bayern coach you don't necessarily have to win the Champions League. But it helps. He's doing well. I think he won't win the Champions League with Bayern, but I wish he would.

But one thing he really has done is he has brought a few players forward that look promising and will hopefully remain Bayern players for years to come. His style of play requires complete players all through the squad. Complete and above. Bayern are doing pretty well now on that front which can't be a bad thing no matter who the manager. He's leaving a well oiled machine behind, not a lame duck.

Only minus - under his watch they let go of Kroos to replace him with Xabi Alonso (nothing against Alsonso, great player). It's something I'm still struggling to understand. That and that I'm not really a fan of possession for the sake of it and Bayern seem often less effective than under Heynckes.

Vidal is 28 and was a well established player he hardly counts as bringing a player through.
    Douglas Costa is 25 and an experience champions league calibre player.
    Thiago played 100 times for Barcelona before he signed for Bayern.

You can't really count that as bringing players through. Any manager could sign players for big money and put them in a good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

inforfun wrote: »
    I think he meant youth/young players.

3 of those were bought before the season and i don't think they were bought as squad fillers. Thiago has been there a while as well. Mostly injured.

Which leaves only Kimmich. And i wonder if we would have heard from him this season, bar maybe dead rubbers at the end, if not about every single defender Bayern has is currently on the physio's table

Yes I meant youth players, Kimmich was actually signed this year aswell from Leipzig(redbulls team) and has been known for having massive potential for quiet a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Next season you will see with Munich, they will not be playing Peps way, a big part of the fanatical Pep fan will scream about how much he leaves a impact on the team, but Barcelona always had a way Pep added more possession but look at Barcelona they dont play the same now, they are playing much more direct, granted they still have most of the ball but under Luis Enrique they are a way more exciting team.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭derm0j073

astonaidan wrote: »
    Next season you will see with Munich, they will not be playing Peps way, a big part of the fanatical Pep fan will scream about how much he leaves a impact on the team, but Barcelona always had a way Pep added more possession but look at Barcelona they dont play the same now, they are playing much more direct, granted they still have most of the ball but under Luis Enrique they are a way more exciting team.
    I've no doubt Pep is a great coach but I think he tried too much too soon when he joined BM . He took over a team that was at the time the best in Europe and forced a lot of changes . i know that he has his way of doing things but i cant help but feel that he didn't take advantage of the great work that Heynckes put in . What worked at Barca hasn't quite worked at BM . i hope he's learned from what i believe were mistakes ...after me posting this BM will probably win the CL .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

This 'City have the best squad' argument, as if somebody picked the best team on FIFA to give themselves an advantage over their opponent is a weird one.

The things people are referring to or expecting from Guardiola, who actually does them in their career? Who decides that 'nah I've been too successful in my career to date, I need to go somewhere **** instead and make it great, probably for less money than I've been getting in the jobs I've been great at'.

Yes Mourinho came from Porto, yes he did great there, but that was because he had to. Now that his 2nd reign at Chelsea is over he isn't going to decide that Man United isn't big enough a challenge and he's going to restore Villa to past glories instead. Did Ferguson go backwards after United? Shankly after Liverpool? Why would you do it?

Guardiola got to where he is because he showed excellence with the Barcelona B team, got a chance with the first team when they had hit a rough patch, and he took it with open arms.

Guardiola has challenged himself in the logical way, by going to different leagues and different cultures and winning trophies there instead. Man City is obviously the next stage in that plan.

When Guardiola wins trophies with Barca, Bayern and maybe City to come, people assume that they were always going to do this anyway, conveniently ignoring the list of managers that don't do well there. Pellegrini has been poor at City far more often than he has been any use, yet next year people will likely claim Guardiola had it easy if he does to win it.

Some of the arguments are weird to say the least.

Excellent post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

For fúck sake. I'm done. Life's too fúcking short.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in again. I want to leave this thread but people keep calling out Andersonisgod so I gotta come back again and again to respond to these claims being made about me.

What you are saying is a matter of semantics really in the scheme of a football forum. In a court of law perhaps you'd have a case there, but on an informal football forum like this, speaking of proof in the manner which you did "The second part...again, you're making that up to suit your narrative. You've just thrown out this 'belief system' nonsense like it's fact, when there's not an ounce of proof that's the case. Like, zero" is an invitation to the poster to back up his argument with proof or go away. My point is simple, no other poster is accosted about proof. Scour this forum and you will find a lot of opinions, some safe, some that out pretty out of the box, and yet I rarely see anyone leveled with accusations that there is no proof to back up their point. Yet it seems I must reference my comments. This is not a one off thing either by the way. Again, I state that Andersonisgod is held to a higher standard than any other poster because no other poster is asked for proof, references or sources as often as Andersonisgod.

By the way, if we are going to get into semantics, I'd like to see proof of where I claim I am the sole "bastion of truth" otherwise I think you're putting more words in my mouth.

How many comments, on this thread alone, reference me? How many of those comments from posters who I wasn't even engaged in discussion with? How many of those falsely represent things that they claim to have seen me say? I'm not looking for sympathy, I'm stating a fact that, if you have some spare time, you can check. Browse through the pages of this thread, count the Andersonisgod references, count how many claims I've disputed in regards to false representation of what I've said previously. After you've done that, then consider "is he being singled out?"

Absolutely, I'm an excellent poster. I love football, I speak about it very often. It's a shame that so much of my time then is spent defending myself on this forum and not talking more about football.

That is utter bollocks. Posters being asked for proof to back up their claims is an extremely common occurrence on this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Pro. F wrote: »
    That is utter bollocks. Posters being asked for proof to back up their claims is an extremely common occurrence on this forum.

Are you kidding. That never happens.

Link or GTFO!!!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭lassykk

astonaidan wrote: »

This post captures exactly why I had no interest in watching Barca under Pep. I may an unenlightened fool but watching a team pass the ball around a million times is bloody boring to me. I don't support them so the fact that they were winning all around them made no odds to me.

The way Barca play now is way more exciting and seemingly equally if not more effective. I've no love from them as they still have cúnts like Alba and Alves in the team but they are great to watch!

• Advertisement

Pep's Barca didn't really play that way though. That was the difference IMO between them and the Spain teams of the same timeframe.

It was rarely possession for the sake of possession. They were so attacking.

It, at least, looked that every season he stayed longer at Barca, possesion became more and more important to him.

The first couple of season were much more spectacular than his last there.
    His last season almost looked like the goal was to have 1 game where they would have 100% possession.

Now i fully understand that if you play saturday and you are 3-0 up at HT and there is 1/4 final CL on tuesday/wednesday, you will not into highest gear the 2nd half.
    Most teams will just sit back and then at least it still looks like a match.
    Barca just dont gave the ball to the opponent. it looked more like a rondo in training then
    Or as Cruijff said it; if you have the ball, your opponent cant score.

Advertisement