Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clothes horse

Options
  • 01-02-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭

Haven't a clue where to post this but I'll give it a go here.
    I am so fed up buying a clothes horse/air dryer and within a few weeks the legs have bent and snapped.
    I know it's not a good idea to dry clothes indoors but I have a big utility room so clothes are always dried there.
    So what I'm looking for is the ultimate clothes horse? Good big strong one. Anyone suggestions as to where to go?

(I have bought before in woodies and dunnes and both are broken out in the garage. :mad:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I bought one in ikea years ago and it's still going strong. It looks like a different design to the ones you see in dunes etc.
    It is thin enough metal but still perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

You can get contraptions consisting of two cast iron ends into which you fit wooden slats, rope, and pulleys to hang them from the ceiling. A bit pricey but you have no legs to worry about collapsing, and you can pull the laundry high up away from toddlers and dogs. Variations on this sort of thing: http://www.pulleymaid.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Would you be better off with a washing line or lines across the room? Know you can get those retractable ones, so could be put away when not in use. On phone, so not really able to find examples

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

I like the idea of using ceiling space. That pulley maid looks good and it can be raised up using the pulleys.
    The retractable clothes line would be good and much cheaper but if I had it up at any decent height I'd have to be stood up on a stool or steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Here's the irish version of the pulleymaid http://highhorse.ie/. I was going to get one for my utility only it doesn't have a particularly high ceiling. I'd love one, I've clothes drying in hall at the moment, nowhere else for the clothes horse! As it is I have the IKEA clothes horse, and have had it for years, it's great but it does take up a lot of room.

• Advertisement

I have seen loads of ikea hacks on the dryer things that come from the wall/ceiling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I got my current one in Ikea for €6 almost 3 year ago and still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've got one of those pulley things right over a corner of the kitchen and I can actually reach the bars by hand: although there is a rope pulling thing to raise and lower it, I seldom use that. You don't have to hang it very high up if you don't want to, it would still be well out of kiddie reach.

NB I SWEAR by this, dry the clothes overnight every night. Every home should have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I've got one of those pulley things right over a corner of the kitchen and I can actually reach the bars by hand: although there is a rope pulling thing to raise and lower it, I seldom use that. You don't have to hang it very high up if you don't want to, it would still be well out of kiddie reach.

NB I SWEAR by this, dry the clothes overnight every night. Every home should have one!

What about something like this? http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/laundry-cleaning-products/drying-racks/grundtal-drying-rack-wall-stainless-steel-art-10177178/

We have 3 bathrooms, I have started to dry OH shirts on a hanger and up on rail in bathroom ;) I can't stand looking at clothes drying! I have ikea clothes horse in spare room but fold it up when not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Yeah I can't stand clothes drying around the house.
    Lucky to have a laundry room (separate to ultilty room but didn't want to say that earlier because people usually go "ooooh get you with your fancy laundry room"!) which was my one non-negotiable demand during the house build.
    I might try ikea to tide me over but am trying to avoid it because I spend a fortune when I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I have this one - Minky (and no my username is in no way related to it) think I got it in Tescos. I've had it 3 years and very sturdy, used every day.

http://www.minky.com/uk/indoor-3-tier-trio-concertina-white-airer-dryer-25m.html

Advertisement