Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canvasing GE16

Options
  • 01-02-2016 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭

So with the Election about to be called, has anyone in DCN had a candidate call to their door yet.

I live in a Rural area, not quite out in the sticks, only a mile from the centre of Lusk, and in 20 yrs only had one candidate call to me, and that was for a Co Council Election

I'm not complaining but do the candidates only concentrate on the housing estates.

I have 4 votes in the house, so it could be worth someones time to visit where I live.

So post here if you get a visit, and state, what area you are in, Rural, or Urban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rural myself & never had a candidate call in 11 years. I had 2 evangelists call yesterday. They were sent packing just as fast as most candidates would.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Evangelists, I would say they are in favour of Water Charges, turn it all into Wine, might vote for them myself.

Maybe they were Anti-Austerity canvassers. They wanted to know if I thought the suffering would ever end. "Probably not," says I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

James Reilly WAS good with the house calls. But other than that no.

However I do get harassed by left wingers at Skerries train station all the time during referendum season.

EDIT: Apologies mods, don't know what is causing double posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

Getting leaflet drops. No canvassers but have a do not disturb sign beside the doorbell to ward off chuggers etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I'm in Swords and I haven't seen a canvasser yet. I have one of Louise O'Reilly's posters in the garden though, it blew off a lamppost in the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Sat early afternoon.
    Only back in from a morning of hard cycling and still in my cycling kit.Crash hat an all!
    DING DONG...
    As I was right beside the door I answered.
    Green Party canvassers. Saw the bike and the state of me. All I got was 'cycle,cycle,cycle'
    The the candidate saw me and ran up the driveway. Shook my hand and before he started I piped in 'Sorry lads. I am starting to get cold so I better go.Thanks anyway' and off they went.

Yesterday evening in the lashing wind and rain canvassers for Tony Murphy.

Live in Balrothery.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

It must be great to have the money to spend on a 20+ page colour brochure. FF's Darragh O' Brien, I'm looking at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The question is do you want them to call?

What are they going to say that's really going to change your mind?

I've had calls from a couple of 'helpers' in the last couple of weeks but not the candidates themselves.

I know how I'll vote - it's a general election not a local election so I've no intention of telling them I want XYZ done so they can tell me 'oh yeah....'

It's as simple as voting for the party that's going to best manage the overall economy in my mind - that's what's going to keep me in a job, affect my payslip, my kids prospects etc. And ultimately whoever can produce the best fiscal figures will in turn lead to schools being built, road upgrades etc.

That's my own (very personal) 2c, not for everyone of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I know how I will be voting but do hope a few call. Not really into bashing them as such but some of them are so far out of touch it is scary.

It is important to remember it is a national election and local issues are not thing to get involved in an debate about. Its the hospitals and health service, PAYE, U.S.C, Policing, housing, that are key items.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Elemonator wrote:
    James Reilly WAS good with the house calls. But other than that no.

He was and still is a profiteering gangster. Trust me!

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

Brendan Ryan was around in Lusk earlier ,a gentleman like his brother Sean,solid hard working Td in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Darragh O'Brien had a crowd going around Kinsealy last night. I'm not sure if he was with him. The SF candidate (Louise?) called last autumn, probably in case the November election was called.

Posters are expected to conduct themselves in a civil manner in the forum. Any derogatory or uncivil comments about candidates or canvassers will not be tolerated.

tHB

Is the area around polling stations supposed to be free from 'electioneering'.
    Just a question that I need answered before I go naming and shaming!

edit: looks like it is only during the hours of voting!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I had a guy canvassing for the Anti Austerity Alliance at the door last night. I wonder what they'll call themselves when the austerity measures are finished :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

As I am unlikely to have anyone call to my door, could someone here please ask a question to the next candidate they see

With all the Election leaflets and assorted rubbish coming through the letter-box, I notice no one is using the Aircode.

I have 4 votes in my house, so we get 4 leaflets from each candidate, and the postage is paid by the tax-payer.
    With Aircode this could be reduced to 1, addressed to the Family.

Anyone ?

Now Martin,stop with the logic will ye,at least some employment is being generated for the printer's,an post,the distributor's etc.
    Maybe when we're getting charged an arm and a leg for the green bin in July,we might get a grant for the cost of the election literature disposal and for wind blown/discarded poster's(Dizzy above has one,I had 2 at the last election,played outdoor dart's with em,put them in the shed for summer,great for football practise too)great fun for the summer.
    Eircode,that came from the same stable as electronic voting,no doubt in a year or two's time the country will be plunged in to another financial crisis in order to pay an indecent amount of money to someone's brother in law(we'll never find out whose)to keep all those Eircode's safe and dry in storage ,till the data protection commissioner rule's that they all be destroyed as an infringement of the native criminal fraternity's right to privacy and like any decent quango without any redress to a people seeking a decent postal service.

I had a problem with a parcel before Christmas, the sender left Swords out of my address and the parcel went to a similar address elsewhere in Dublin despite the Eircode being on it. The nice man in DHL was able to retrieve the parcel for me, and informed me that DHL don't use the Eircodes at all :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

I had a problem with a parcel before Christmas, the sender left Swords out of my address and the parcel went to a similar address elsewhere in Dublin despite the Eircode being on it. The nice man in DHL was able to retrieve the parcel for me, and informed me that DHL don't use the Eircodes at all :confused:

An post don't use the bloody eircodes, nevermind dhl

• Advertisement

I know its a side issue or maybe not but eircode was set up as a database designed to be sold.
    Hence that they are random.
    If ,say, DHL dont buy the database then Eircode is just a set of numbers.

Originally Posted by Koutoubia -- Is the area around polling stations supposed to be free from 'electioneering'.
    Just a question that I need answered before I go naming and shaming!

edit: looks like it is only during the hours of voting!
    Koutoubia -- I have been looking at the election rules on the dept of the envoiriment site,I can't see anything about canvassing out side or electioneering out side polling station's.
    I thought there was a rule prohibiting canvassing outside the polling station on the day of the count,actually that rule only applies to referenda.... http://www.referendum.ie/political_activity.php

The rules on national elections are here... http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/Voting/NationalElections/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

dslamjack wrote: »
    Koutoubia -- I have been looking at the election rules on the dept of the envoiriment site,I can't see anything about canvassing out side or electioneering out side polling station's.
    I thought there was a rule prohibiting canvassing outside the polling station on the day of the count,actually that rule only applies to referenda.... http://www.referendum.ie/political_activity.php

The rules on national elections are here... http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/Voting/NationalElections/

It looks like there are rules prohibiting canvassing in the immediate vicinity - but just within 100 metres:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1992/act/23/enacted/en/print#sec147

I recall canvassing happening on the way into polling stations when my parents brought me along to vote before the '92 act. Haven't seen the likes of since.

Well it's no wonder they can't find us if their using Eircode,they must have warned each other about me,well if they don't call soon I'll have to go out and canvass them,ya can't even rely on them to do that right.
    Actually an old nugget I use is .... O thank God your Alive,I thought you died after the last Election.
    Or thank God your safe ,I thought ye had been abducted by fun luvin, rock n roll luvin aliens and probed after the last election.
    Another one was .. you're Daddy must have been a magician,the way he taught you to disappear in to thin air after the last election.
    They all must be members of the magic circle the way they disappear down my driveway at the speed of light,wonder why that is , it must be me,maybe I'm not being nice enough,but I'm the type of guy that will give you direction's,even though I might't have a clue where you're going.
    Ahh well I 'll just keep sitting by the front door waiting,chillin,hangin ....

have austerity measures not being hard coded into the european union now?

I haven't a clue - but I wouldn't be surprised.

Had canvasser's From Tony Murphy around last night in Lusk, it was too cold to be too hard on them,I know,I'm getting mellow in me auld age,they were like frosty the snowman,and I did't fancy hypothermia ,but they were very nice now.

This warning note would put the fear of God in canvassers across the country ....A canvasser’s worst nightmare…
    Back away from the door –pronto!
    It is that time of year when you might get a random visit from a politician to your door, beggin’ for a vote. But the politicians calling to this door might be beggin’ for some relief if it was not for this conscientious note left out for those on the campaign trail.
    Full story here ..http://www.breakingnews.ie/discover/this-warning-note-would-put-the-fear-of-god-in-canvassers-across-the-country-721229.html

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

martinn123 wrote: »
    As I am unlikely to have anyone call to my door, could someone here please ask a question to the next candidate they see

With all the Election leaflets and assorted rubbish coming through the letter-box, I notice no one is using the Aircode.

I have 4 votes in my house, so we get 4 leaflets from each candidate, and the postage is paid by the tax-payer.
    With Aircode this could be reduced to 1, addressed to the Family.

Anyone ?

All I get for a multi vote house is one to 'the household'. Unless your registrations are split across boxes this should be the case for everywhere

James Reilly was canvassing on our road this afternoon. A man knocked with a leaflet and had a chat (at this stage so close to the election I don't even tackle them on issues, I'm polite to them all and will vote the way I want to). He asked if I wanted to talk to James but I politely declined, lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭jwwb

One observation: very little sign of any party running a BIG operation in DubF. Leads me to think that they have all more or less decided that the outcome is pretty much decided and that there is little or nothing to fight for. If there was a seat in the balance I'd expect to see a lot more feet on the ground.

Advertisement