Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Airbag Vests

• 01-02-2016 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

Anybody use this "airbag" vest for motor bikes?

Helite Airbag Vest Turtle

youtube.com/watch?v=uVEsatB6bUE

It's expensive.... but it seems to work based on the testimonials I read.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its a great idea but in reality anyone who buys it will eventually get sick of wearing it. It's one more thing to pile on top of all the other gear.

Also its another added maintance expense. You would need to do a yearly checkup on this to make sure its going to work when needed. Just like auto inflate life vests for sailors need yearly checkups.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭schaffer1969

The gas canisters are supposed to last 10 years so probably wouldn't need to be serviced too often.
    I supposed it's one of those things that you're grateful for if you need it and otherwise it's just an extra expense, like a helmet.

They will probably take off once integrated into jackets and the price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 carolmary

I have one, and I wear it daily, and it's proven it's worth at least 6 times in my first three months of biking last year (took me a while to suss out stopping on an uneven surface, especially at an intersection).

Pros:

- It works, just as it says on the tin

- I feel safer, even in that split second when I realised that I was falling off the bike, I never worried about hurting myself badly.

Cons:

- It costs... expensive initially, and on-going: by the last time I fell off, my first thought was 'damm... that's another €25 gone on yet another cartridge' (twice in 30 mins was not a cheap afternoon!)

- The cartridges are not easily replaced in Dublin... am still waiting for a call back from a shop.. ended up paying a fortune to get some (5) shipped over from the UK

- the vest is not elegant, I feel puffed up in it; it suffocates the vents and covers the pockets in my jacket

But, I still wear it daily, as I believe that it will protect me well if I do have a proper off at a higher speed, and that is a trade-off that works for me.

I must admit that it does get harder to keep wearing it now that I haven't set it off since last July, but I have that fear of the day that I don't wear it will be the day that I'll next need it, and will not forgive myself.

carolmary wrote: »
    I have one, and I wear it daily, and it's proven it's worth at least 6 times in my first three months of biking last year (took me a while to suss out stopping on an uneven surface, especially at an intersection).

Pros:

- It works, just as it says on the tin

- I feel safer, even in that split second when I realised that I was falling off the bike, I never worried about hurting myself badly.

Cons:

- It costs... expensive initially, and on-going: by the last time I fell off, my first thought was 'damm... that's another €25 gone on yet another cartridge' (twice in 30 mins was not a cheap afternoon!)

- The cartridges are not easily replaced in Dublin... am still waiting for a call back from a shop.. ended up paying a fortune to get some (5) shipped over from the UK

- the vest is not elegant, I feel puffed up in it; it suffocates the vents and covers the pockets in my jacket

But, I still wear it daily, as I believe that it will protect me well if I do have a proper off at a higher speed, and that is a trade-off that works for me.

I must admit that it does get harder to keep wearing it now that I haven't set it off since last July, but I have that fear of the day that I don't wear it will be the day that I'll next need it, and will not forgive myself.

jesus:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

jesus:eek:

Thats exactly what i thought!

Maybe invest in some training instead of a portable airbag?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

goodlad wrote: »
    Thats exactly what i thought!

Maybe invest in some training instead of a portable airbag?
    Or a bus pass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

If they're standard co2 bulbs, I've found http://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/ to be good. I couldn't believe the markup on bulbs here, something like 8 or 9 quid for a 16g one for a repair kit.

AgileMyth wrote:
    Or a bus pass?

And give up defeated? Nah...

As a 58kg grandmother of 4, I was determined to master my 192kg GS and I'm getting there, and feel I've really achieved something I'd only dreamed about for decades!
    And I have got my monies worth from the crash bars, barkbusters and the dreaded vest!

gerrowadat wrote:
    If they're standard co2 bulbs

60g threaded for my jacket size, 100g for the larger jackets.. Sadly not listed on that site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd ask what are the type of crashes/injuries that actually kill motorcyclists, and what's the most effective protection against them?

I'd guess that training is probably up there, but there don't seem to be many modern studies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

c4993a9fc43719c9cb3ef5f1e0e56453.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

Gavin wrote: »
    I'd ask what are the type of crashes/injuries that actually kill motorcyclists, and what's the most effective protection against them?

I'd guess that training is probably up there, but there don't seem to be many modern studies.

There's a bit about if you poke around these sites;
    http://nosurprise.org.uk/
    http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94
    http://www.therevcounter.co.uk/forums/11-Staying-Alive?
    http://www.righttoride.eu/virtuallibrary/ridersafety/Northern_Ireland_Motorcycle_Fatality_Report_2012.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Well done for fulfilling a dream, and not giving up after a couple of falls. I remember when I started out (used to "borrow" my fathers cb250 when I was 12 and ride it through the fields, feet couldn't touch the ground)I was always falling off, albiet the bikes we learned on then were a lot smaller and speeds were lower. As advised some training is never a bad thing, cant comment on the airbag jacket but will try one when they are a bit more affordable, good luck!
    AgileMyth wrote:
    Or a bus pass?

And give up defeated? Nah...

As a 58kg grandmother of 4, I was determined to master my 192kg GS and I'm getting there, and feel I've really achieved something I'd only dreamed about for decades!
    And I have got my monies worth from the crash bars, barkbusters and the dreaded vest!
    Add your reply here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭fatty pang

rustynutz wrote: »
    Well done for fulfilling a dream, and not giving up after a couple of falls. I remember when I started out....
    Add your reply here.

When I was 19 I got a tax refund and went down and bought myself a brand spanking new XL185R :P. First experience of a clutch :eek: Spent 20 minutes learning to ride it in the laneway behind the dealership. Fell off a couple of times. Scary trip across town getting it home but managed to avoid stationary and moving objects. Learnt to ride in the fields over the following few days. The worst part of it all was me ma's reaction when she sawthe bike :mad:

Advertisement