Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Pavillions car park

Options
  • 01-02-2016 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭

This is something Ive always found bizarre especially with the amount of car parking in the place but why do numerous cars always que up to get into the car park on the right beside starbucks? The carpark on the left is half empty and cars still wait in a que to get into the other car park

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭alanc2003

neris wrote: »
    This is something Ive always found bizarre especially with the amount of car parking in the place but why do numerous cars always que up to get into the car park on the right beside starbucks? The carpark on the left is half empty and cars still wait in a que to get into the other car park

I have always wondered this as well but it must be down to laziness and not wanting to walk to the other carparks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

Closer to the entrance is the reason, I'd wager.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Closer to the entrance is the reason, I'd wager.

Are people really that lazy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes it's the favourite car park for a lot of people because it's so close to the entrance. Queueing is madness though, and if there isn't someone there to stop them they sometimes queue right out to the roundabout :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Are people really that lazy?

In there, absolutely. I avoid it like the plague.

The worst is that the queue almost always backs up and blocks traffic on the little roundabout. On the plus side, it's great exercise for my car's horn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Yeah I never understood it. Even when it is lashing rain they queue up there instead of going to the underground one. They then have to wheel trollies out and load up the car in the rain, ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

it's one that i've always wondered about as well. each to their own i suppose but many times i have parked and walked past the very cars that were still queuing to get in. seems a bit silly really.

i've also wondered why there isn't one parent and child parking space in all of the car parks. Trying to get a baby into a car when two cars have parked up close to you is very difficult.

Also, when approaching the car parks, there's no easy way to get into the left hand lane because they have it blocked for a good bit with cones. When you pass the cones, more often than not there is a car or cars in the left hand lane forcing you to stay in the right hand lane. Problem is, when in the right hand lane, the only car park you can (legally if following the rules of the road to the letter!) enter is the one immediately outside the main entrance.

I've always found it a bizarre setup, the entire car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

The three pedestrian crossings on the way into the multi story from the first roundabout cause havoc to the traffic aswell. While I know people need to cross but these crossing should be over/under passings or traffic lights so that the flow crossing is controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

My wife does that all the time. When I'm driving in there (which is about twice yearly) she goes bananas when I head for the multi-storey. (I then like to drive her into orbit altogether by going up to level 5 :D).

On a side note here, the worst carpark in the history of the state has to be across the road in Airside. Never designed for as many cars as it handles, not enough room to turn without risking a fender bender, and pedestrians everywhere.

The worst part is they could fix the problem with 3 mini roundabouts and by knocking through kerbs to make a through road inside the carpark immediately parallel to the main road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It seems to be a Fingal Co Co decision to have the access roads at the shop side of the carpark, so people walking have to cross the busy roadway to get from cars to shops.

In Cork, the access roads are away from the shops, and each bay is a dead end, with only parking car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It seems to be a Fingal Co Co decision to have the access roads at the shop side of the carpark, so people walking have to cross the busy roadway to get from cars to shops.

In Cork, the access roads are away from the shops, and each bay is a dead end, with only parking car traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

sdanseo wrote: »
    On a side note here, the worst carpark in the history of the state has to be across the road in Airside. Never designed for as many cars as it handles, not enough room to turn without risking a fender bender, and pedestrians everywhere.

The worst part is they could fix the problem with 3 mini roundabouts and by knocking through kerbs to make a through road inside the carpark immediately parallel to the main road.

Penney's basement parking is even worse in my opinion. Wrong on so many levels (pun intended).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

I bet most people using that car park are the same people using the little escalators at Abrakababra ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

sdanseo wrote: »

stop now and get out of here with your logical thinking and cop on. these carparks were designed by "professionals" who know best :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

What I have to laugh about is , the car park''designers'' must think everyone is a thin as an A4 sheet of paper,some space's yid have to try and climb out the window,because you can hardly get the door open wide enough to get out.
    You actually have to slide side way's up to the door,and then do mini gymnastic's to get in to the car,they must have thought that the only people using these car park's would be leprechaun's driving mini's or them fangled hover board thingies.

stop now and get out of here with your logical thinking and cop on. these carparks were designed by "professionals" who know best :D:D

I have a degree in Transport Operations, I'll take my chances in a war of words with the Civil Engineers! :rolleyes:
    T-Maxx wrote: »
    Penney's basement parking is even worse in my opinion. Wrong on so many levels (pun intended).

Not in there too often as it's not free, but you're right it's crap. Trying to do a 180 degree turn at the top of the ramp is damn near impossible in a big car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

dslamjack wrote: »
    What I have to laugh about is , the car park''designers'' must think everyone is a thin as an A4 sheet of paper,some space's yid have to try and climb out the window,because you can hardly get the door open wide enough to get out.
    You actually have to slide side way's up to the door,and then do mini gymnastic's to get in to the car,they must have thought that the only people using these car park's would be leprechaun's driving mini's or them fangled hover board thingies.
    My pet hate - when I park in an almost empty car park and return a few minutes later to find that some idiot has decided to place their car 6 inches from mine despite acres of empty spaces all around! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

My pet hate - when I park in an almost empty car park and return a few minutes later to find that some idiot has decided to place their car 6 inches from mine despite acres of empty spaces all around! :(

You can imagine what they are saying when they return to see your bicycle taking up an entire car parking space ;)

Advertisement