Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bret Hart Battling Cancer

• 01-02-2016 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

He has just posted on his Facebook that he is facing surgery in the next few days for prostate cancer.
    It is with great remorse that I feel compelled to speak truthfully to my friends, family and my millions of fans around the world. In the past few years, I've spent more than enough time paying the price for all those years trying to be the best there ever was as a professional wrestler. I executed excellently and my proudest claim was that I never seriously hurt or injured another wrestler in my 23 year career. I've paid a price for all that "fake" wrestling. Aside from a devastating career-ending concussion and numerous surgeries when I was younger, in recent years I've had two knee replacements, two hernia operations, surgery on my right elbow, and, just a few months ago, I underwent a four-corner fusion of my right wrist that even now makes it most difficult to write or type.

Mark Helprin wrote: "We are all perfect clocks that Divinity has set to ticking when, even before birth, the heart explodes into a lifelong dance." I've had a great lifelong dance and I'm a survivor of many hard battles. I now face my toughest battle. With hesitation and fear, I openly declare myself in my fight against prostate cancer. In the next few days, I will undergo surgery with the hope of defeating this nemesis once and for all.

My fans have always looked upon me as a hero and I've always done my best to live up to that in and out of the ring. I beat the odds when I suffered my stroke in 2002, but it is now yet again, that I draw upon the many adults and young children I've met throughout my life who courageously fought and usually lost in their battles against this deadly disease. One year ago, I watched a brave young man named Whesley fight brain cancer to the end. If I can find even an ounce of his courage to stand unafraid and face the tough road ahead of me, I will march toward this destiny with his spirit chanting in my ear.

I make a solemn vow to all of those that once believed in me, the dead and the living, that I will wage my fearsome fight against cancer with one shield and one sword carrying my determination and my fury for life, emboldened by all the love that's kept me going this long already. Love is my weapon and I've got much of it around me all the time, for which I'm truly blessed and eternally grateful. My children, grandchildren, and my loving wife Steph have been and will constantly be at my side. I refuse to lose, I will never give in or give up, and I will win this battle or die trying.

Most important of all, I hope I can take the fight to prostate cancer. To be a leader in awareness and to set the example for men everywhere who find themselves in my very same shoes, that prostate cancer can be beaten.
    B x

All the best Bret. Hope you can beat this bastard of a disease.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

He is a hero to many of us and i wish him all the best. i dont want to add him to the 2016 list of deaths :(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

https://twitter.com/brethart/status/694195600380837888

:(
    Wish him a full recovery, absolute legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Just seeing that on Facebook, one of my favourite wrestlers of all time. His submission match with Austin at WM is up there as one of the best of all time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I know it's early days still but this year f*cking sucks.

Best wishes to him. Hopefully all will go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Ah jeez hopefully he'll get through this seems like he's confident he'll win this battle. A really nice guy lucky enough to meet him a few years ago at a book signing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Christ, as if he hasn't had enough hardship in his life.

Luckily, prostate cancer is easily treatable, probably the most successful, if got in time.

Get well soon Bret

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,290 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Hope he fights it, wish him well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

This has honestly saddened me. Whatever happened to him with the infamous Montreal Screwjob and other related wrestling stuff, this truly sucks. I really hope he sharpshooter's cancer's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The best there ever will be. My favourite wrestler of all time. I was devastated when I got a text about this today. He'll beat it though, is what I have been telling myself since I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

Absolutely gutted too hear this news. After losing Dusty and Roddy,too lose Bret as well all in less then a year would be truly unbearable. The man is a hero of mine and is why I first starting watching professional wrestling. From his ring attire too his matches,music,rivalries,I was hooked.

As a kid I dreamt about him picking me out from the crowd and giving me his shades,the man just oozes class and he'll always will be a hero of mine.

Cancer has chosen the wrong man to mess with and I've no doubt that once Bret locks in the sharpshooter on it,it'll tap out in seconds.

Get well soon Hitman.

• Advertisement

Let's keep thinking positively about Bret lads! I'm not thinking about Piper and Dusty Rhodes at the moment because Bret is alive and he's here and he's getting treatment for his illness and as it stands he's doing the best thing that's available to him. I was about 5 or 6 years old when I saw him headline the first ever house show I went to against Bam Bam Bigelow. The best there is, the best there was and the best there ever will be. A legend.

There were nice mentions and well wishes for him on Monday Night Raw tonight where they showed tweets from Triple H, Roman Reigns & Natalya. I'm so glad every time I see him appear on screen that he made his way back and went some way to mend bridges a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

While this is terrible news, the positive is that prostate cancer is probably the most treatable form of cancer and one of the least likely to result in secondaries. You would expect that once he has the surgery, the all clear shouldn't be too far away. Fingers crossed anyway!

I read somewhere that he was working on a novel. Has anyone heard anything about this? I always felt like something was missing during the Attitude Era, like he should have been there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I read somewhere that he was working on a novel. Has anyone heard anything about this? I always felt like something was missing during the Attitude Era, like he should have been there!

him and shawn should have been there.

just hope he gets better and makes a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

I've been meaning to update this thread for a while. Bret underwent surgery on the 11th or 12th of this month and is now on the road to recovery. It's only a matter of time before cancer taps out,it for sure won't be beating the excellence of execution.

I've put a order in for one and it's well worth the money and I'd advise all fans of pro wrestling too do likewise as a portion of the money will be donated to the Prostate Cancer Centre.

http://store.brethart.com/fight-bret-fight/

Advertisement