Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Defence Forces Training

• 01-02-2016 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hello! I'm currently involved in a recruit competition for the Army and have my medical next week which I'm confident I'll pass. When I had my fitness test I passed both the sit ups and push ups test with no problem. But when it came to the run i was crawling over the finish line. My level of fitness when it comes to running is bad. I ran 2.4 Km in 10 minutes but not easily. Does any body have any good tips on improving cardio, strength and conducting etc. I'm jogging daily but am still struggling with distance, any feed back would be hugely appreciated!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Get a heart rate monitor. Keep approx. 70% of max heart rate for 10-20 minutes. Increase it slowly over the weeks until you can do 1hr+.

Or join a running club and take part in their track days :)

Get a heart rate monitor. Keep approx. 70% of max heart rate for 10-20 minutes. Increase it slowly over the weeks until you can do 1hr+.

Or join a running club and take part in their track days :)

EDIT: To clarify - a lot of the time people will race off in training running too fast and gas out before they've really had any chance for their aerobic system to adapt. Let's just say around 70% of max heart rate is the sweet spot for aerobic training, you want to spend as much time there as possible.

So if that means you have to jog REAL slow, or even walk fast in places, that's fine.

Record the duration and distance of your first run, then in 6 weeks have a look back and you won't believe the improvement.

Going out for a jog/run is grand, but unless you're tracking and measuring, fitness gainzz will be suboptimal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

How do you figure out what 70% is?

hooplah wrote: »
    How do you figure out what 70% is?

Old school = 220 minus age = MHR, so for me 220-29 = 191 beats per minute

Semi sophisticated = put on heart rate monitor (HRM), find a big long hill, run up it at full pelt, walk back down, repeat until you collapse, look at HRM for max heart rate achieved

Sophisticated = fancy ass lab test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Hanley wrote: »
    Old school = 220 minus age = MHR, so for me 220-29 = 191 beats per minute
    Isn't that highly variable though? What sort of knock on could that have on the 70% figure. I remember hitting 196 on my HRM (when maybe 28) and I doubt it was a max.
    So either my HRM isn't accurate or a redline a little higher than normal.
    Semi sophisticated = put on heart rate monitor (HRM), find a big long hill, run up it at full pelt, walk back down, repeat until you collapse, look at HRM for max heart rate achieved
    I might was well do ahead and do this. but the thoughts of it...ugh

• Advertisement

Mellor wrote: »
    Isn't that highly variable though? What sort of knock on could that have on the 70% figure. I remember hitting 196 on my HRM (when maybe 28) and I doubt it was a max.
    So either my HRM isn't accurate or a redline a little higher than normal.

And that's exactly why I outlined 2 other options that are a more accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Tommf

I'm gettin my eyes checked for the competition, if I don't have 6/6 vision, would they know if I used contact lenses? I'm confident my vision is good but just trying to cover all angles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Tommf wrote: »
    I'm gettin my eyes checked for the competition, if I don't have 6/6 vision, would they know if I used contact lenses? I'm confident my vision is good but just trying to cover all angles

Yes they would know.

Source: I do an army medical every year.

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Yes they would know.

Source: I do an army medical every year.

And if had laser done would they know? Thanks for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

Tommf wrote: »
    And if had laser done would they know? Thanks for reply

Not sure tbh...

• Advertisement

b_mac2 wrote: »
    Depends on what you answer on the forms...

Ah ok so there is know way of knowing without you telling them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

There are apparently tell tale signs that they can detect. Anyway, being a soldier is all about initiative. Best of luck, say nothing about the laser. If they don't spot it, happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Lie on your papers and risk being found out and either refused entry of discharged!
    My brother whose 57 can still pass his medical and do the run in full combat gear within his time....just:)

Advertisement