Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time study - viable

Options
  • 01-02-2016 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for a heads up/feedback on those who study part time at NCI and more specifically the Independent Learning workload involved.

I am interested in a part time BSc in Information Systems. The course itself consists of 16 lecture/contact hours, fine by that, but when you add up each module it advises 27 hours of independent learning/study per week. How is that even possible if working full time? Two of your evenings and a full day Saturday are spent at lectures, so how can you fit 27 hours into the remainder of your three evenings and Sunday? If you work 9-5 and study each evening 6-11, it still doesn't leave enough time to build up 27 hours....

I spoke to the admissions office who told me the recommended study time is actually 3 to 5 hours per week, which seemed random compares to the official module descriptions, so I then spoke to the course director who said "Ah the 25 hours is what you officially should be doing , but nobody really does it, given the hours, but they still do just fine". He wasn't able to put a figure on the number of hours required... Didn't exactly fill me with confidence....

I've gone through some of other courses part time at NCI (module descriptions) and all the study time officially recommended seems to be around the same, so it leaves me asking, how viable is part time study at the College, it just doesn't seem realistic bases on the study time recommended?

Any feedback from those studying/looking to study part time would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement