Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winchester chokes help

Options
  • 01-02-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

Recenty purchased a winchester supergrade shotgun second hand,

It comes with a skeet choke and a modified choke(i think)

Anyone know what brands of chokes will fit winchester guns?

Looking to do a bit of clay shooting with it too and want to try different chokes to see what suits my needs best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Try Carlsons US and Brownells UK web sites to get an idea of what you want.
    A simple Google search will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Try Carlsons US and Brownells UK web sites to get an idea of what you want.
    A simple Google search will get you there.

Found good info on the carlsons, thanks

Seems theyre not too expensive to buy them instead of the winchokes I have.

I have skeet and improved modified. it seems.

What would these be like for a combination of clays, decoying, and game shootign?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Its a bit of an odd set of chokes you have, I wonder did the previous owner lose some.
    You tend to set up a gun with the following choke combo:

Clays:
    Sporting Clays : - Skeet / Improved Cylinder or Improved Cylinder / Mod
    DTL : - Mod / Improved Mod or Mod / Full,

Game / Birds
    Decoying :- Skeet / Improved Cylinder or Improved Cylinder / Mod
    Flight Shooting:- Mod / Improved Mod or Mod / Full or Improved
    Mod / Full (high birds)
    Rough Shooting:- Improved Cylinder / Mod or Mod / Improved Mod or Mod / Full or Improved

Lads will tell you not to worry to much about chokes and they are right to a certain extent, but if you shooting extremes of disciplines you will notice a advantage to having the right chokes.
    If I lie or exaggerate, then ask them why champion skeet shooters use skeet chokes and DTL shooters dedicated trap guns and why thousand of pigeons are decoyed by the ordinary joe soap with open chokes and like wise geese are downed with tight chokes.

For general shooting I would recommend Improved Cylinder / Mod or Mod / Improved Mod, then get out and pattern the gun with various shells (makes and weights) to determine your best set up for you and your shooting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

I think the browning invector or invector plus suit winchester.give Nigel teague in the UK an email.for all round shooting just get a 1/4 and 1/2 will cover you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

.243 wrote: »
    I think the browning invector or invector plus suit winchester.give Nigel teague in the UK an email.for all round shooting just get a 1/4 and 1/2 will cover you

Yup checked that its the invector, not the plus.

Thanks for the replies lads.

• Advertisement
Advertisement