Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving/Motorcycle license

• 01-02-2016 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Right so I am a fully qualified driver now so I have the new pink license card. However tomorrow I am sitting my motorcycle theory test and provided I pass (please god) I will go to my NDLS centre and apply for my motorcycle learner permit. Can anyone clarify how this works. Will I be issued a second green "Learner" card from the department or will my Pink (Full driving license) just be edited to say I am a learner motorcycle rider.

Cheers Lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

You'll get a learner permit for the bike, your car license will stay as is.

You won't get the permit straight away either, you need to complete IBT first.

When you pass your bike test, your license will be updated with the new category.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You get your permit first, because you need it before you can sit your IBT.
    I know as I went through the process a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arnelv

I went to the licensing center today, if you are 24 y.o and hold a full driver's license B, Apply for a learner permit for motorcycle, pay 35 euros and they will issue you a learner permit. No need to sit in a theory test. Once you are ready choose your motorcycle preference, the higher engine cc will let you drive those below it once you pass the IBT.

arnelv wrote: »
    I went to the licensing center today, if you are 24 y.o and hold a full driver's license B, Apply for a learner permit for motorcycle, pay 35 euros and they will issue you a learner permit. No need to sit in a theory test. Once you are ready choose your motorcycle preference, the higher engine cc will let you drive those below it once you pass the IBT.

Bike theory test is separate from car. You need to do it regardless.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Bike theory test is separate from car. You need to do it regardless.

There is one exception to that, see my post form 2014.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90061579&postcount=6

• Advertisement

cisk wrote: »
    There is one exception to that, see my post form 2014.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90061579&postcount=6

Judging by his username, OP is 19/20 years old. If true, it's unlikely he took his theory test before Oct 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 arnelv

There is still one catch, provided he was able to get his learner permit for the bike w/o taking another theory test. He has to get an insurance of his bike of choice to be road legal and he has to pass the testers of his chosen insurance to be issued one. And does anyone know how it will cost a learner driving a 50 cc or 125 cc bike now. ???

Advertisement