Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

looking to go to college to study physiotherapy

Options
  • 01-02-2016 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I`m currently thinking about going back to college to study physiotherapy but dont know where to start or how to go about it. I`m 32 years old and currently working full time. I have a few questions
    1. is it possible to study it part time
    2. if not, how many years full time is the course
    3. as I am a mature student are there any courses I could do that would help me get accepted
    4. which colleges offer physiotherapy courses
    5. Am I mad to be even thinking about this?

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated (sorry for all the questions)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Brois

Hi Mick,

1. I can't post urls, but do a search on boards and theres one by eon58 called:"physiotherapy courses"
    - This thread has a bit of info on the subject, have a look around boards as the question has come up a few times. Part time courses offered in the UK, none as far as I can see in Ireland as yet. Its a long enough route, but if you are committed you can do it! Quite a lot of people here seem to lean toward going down the Physical Therapist route. I reckon the reason for this is the difficulty of studying Physio part time, the hours involved, practical experience is needed at some stage which would mean taking time off work etc etc. Have you considered starting with a shorter part-time course to assess your aptitude and ability to balance study and working? Perhaps a short sports massage course first? Won't break the bank and might give you a feel (pardon the pun) for it?
    2. 3 minimum, but 4 is the standard in most universities. With certain conditions you could be accepted into year 2 of a course depending on your previous qualifications and experience.
    3. As in point 1, sports therapy or physical therapy wouldn't hurt your cause. Again, lots of advice dished out by far more knowledgeable people than me on these forums.
    4. Again, a quick google will tell you this.
    5. This is your main question I feel. No harm in looking for vindication for sure, but in all fairness, someone on a message board can't tell you that. You have to follow your convictions and what your circumstances will allow. No one can tell you if its right or wrong for you, only yourself. I know thats not the answer you want, but its the truth. It's really tough getting back into education if you are to do it properly. Especially the longer you've been out of studying. You need to tailor your life around it. If you have kids and a wife and work commitments etc, you need to be disciplined. Work out how many hours you have free in your week, be 100% honest with yourself. Not saying you're going to spend 4 hours every evening studying. I've gone back to study a degree part-time recently at 30 and although I'm finding it tough making the time and staying disciplined, if its what you really want, just keep your eyes on the prize and go for it. My advice is start small, dip your toes in by doing a short course, which won't take years and cost thousands. That way you will see how you feel about it and you'll know how much time and hard work you can put into it going forward. But like I said, all very dependent on your current situation, spare time, income, goals etc.

Hope this helps? Just my two cents of going back to education. No doubt its tough going, but if its what you really want, go for it with both hands!

Good luck!

Advertisement