Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Way back Celtic Tiger prices

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Rackstar wrote: »

http://www.myhome.ie/priceregister/16-templeogue-road-terenure-dublin-6-240966

I would love to have PPR data from 2002 to 2010, I have a strong feeling you would see huge disparity from 2006 onwards in asking prices and prices achieved, with houses sitting on the market for long periods of time. I know of semi-d 3 bed houses close by that house that sold for 900k in 2006/7 but they were rare with most just sitting on the market.

I'm seeing something similar atm house behind me went up at 750k, down to 520k over a year with a better condition house selling last August for 450. Nice house, not worth that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

http://www.myhome.ie/priceregister/16-templeogue-road-terenure-dublin-6-240966

I'm seeing something similar atm house behind me went up at 750k, down to 520k over a year with a better condition house selling last August for 450. Nice house, not worth that money.

It's a crazy market. I know some people say that those who bought at the top of the market deserve the negative equity, can't help but feel for people struggling to pay those crazy mortgages.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Was bored and decided to take a look at some Celtic tiger prices. They were mind boggling, I was still in college for the madness but I really don't know how people afforded the prices or how some people thought they could.

I used WayBackMachine https://web.archive.org

€800k for a one bed house in Terenure https://web.archive.org/web/20071118191125/http://www.jpmdoyle.ie/ShowProp.aspx?id=391405&pm=3&pt=&co=0&cn=0&d=0&pc=&bd=0&min=0&max=0&q=&cat=

Anyone else find some crazy examples? People say we are almost back where we were in 2007, still looks to be a bit to go.

If you Google the Terenure address you'll see that it sold in 2011 for €225k. Ouch.

I know someone who bought in Lucan for €640k just before the collapse. A house on their street is going for almost half that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    If you Google the Terenure address you'll see that it sold in 2011 for €225k. Ouch.

I know someone who bought in Lucan for €640k just before the collapse. A house on their street is going for almost half that now.

Cuddlesworth put a link up with the PPR, just goes to show how bad the prices were gone.

A Takeaway with 3 bed apartment in Blessington a mere €1.625 million
    https://web.archive.org/web/20071118182316/http://www.jpmdoyle.ie/ShowProp.aspx?id=389138&pm=7,8&pt=&co=0&cn=0&d=0&pc=&bd=0&min=0&max=0&q=&cat=

........People say we are almost back where we were in 2007, still looks to be a bit to go.

100% agree with you, if we were back to 2007 prices I'd be off work for the next 2/3 years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Where I live prices are still down about a third from the 2007 prices.
    Prices are around where they were in late 2004/early 2005.
    Just shows how much they rocketed in those few years up to 2007. No wonder there is still a lot of negative equity around.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Makes for scary reading, so glad I never got caught up in all of that madness.

Having said that, I did have a 3 bed semi I wish I had the sense to sell at the height. Similar ones in my estate went for €175k, when I sold after the crash I got €84k.

But then again, had I sold at 175, I would probably have bought something bigegr which would have fallen like a stone too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Its not all about the actual prices though. A lot of ppl who bought at massively inflated prices in 2007 etc also got tracker mortgages which are keeping their monthly repayments in line with what a lot of people are paying now even though the buy price is a lot lower.

Its the poor sods who bought at high prices AND variable rate mortgages that I feel sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

Its not all about the actual prices though. A lot of ppl who bought at massively inflated prices in 2007 etc also got tracker mortgages which are keeping their monthly repayments in line with what a lot of people are paying now even though the buy price is a lot lower.

Its the poor sods who bought at high prices AND variable rate mortgages that I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭maverick_21

Dawn Rider wrote: »

would you mind me asking what street?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's also the distinction between first-time-buyers and trader-uppers.

I bought and sold in 2006, at laughably enormous prices, but I got the "value" out of the house I sold. A FTB bought it, and I hope they're happy there as it'll be a long, long time before prices return to what they paid for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I bought a 4 bed detached in small housing estate outside Kilkenny in 2003 for €210k. I sold a smaller property in Bray at the same time for €407k.
    My house in KK now is probably worth around €220k, My old house in Bray sold again in late 2014 for €335k, so probably worth around the €400k mark now. Overall I would say prices are only at 2002/2003 prices although Dublin doing a bit better with recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Some people were winners and some people lost out in the property bubble.

I bought a house in 2009, €195,000 and spent €50,000 doing it up. I'd probably get €170,000 if I sold it now.

That said, I bought another house almost two years ago. It was originally on the market for €790,000 and I got it for €250,000. I'd say I'd get €300,000 to €350,000 for it now so I'm pretty much even on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭fyfe79

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Some people were winners and some people lost out in the property bubble.

I bought a house in 2009, €195,000 and spent €50,000 doing it up. I'd probably get €170,000 if I sold it now.

That said, I bought another house almost two years ago. It was originally on the market for €790,000 and I got it for €250,000. I'd say I'd get €300,000 to €350,000 for it now so I'm pretty much even on things.

The first part of your post is pretty much exactly my situation.

I wouldn't mind having your luck on the 2nd part! We're hoping to trade-up in a few years so hopefully will find a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would love to have PPR data from 2002 to 2010, I have a strong feeling you would see huge disparity from 2006 onwards in asking prices and prices achieved, with houses sitting on the market for long periods of time.

The almost badge of honour status for ratcheting asking prices on new build estates will only have telescoped this - I know of estates in West Dublin / North Kildare that were already accepting offers of at least 25% below asking in early 2007. Was only a very short time before that that for second hand sales the asking was seen as a vague suggestion of where to start increasing your first bid from.

Advertisement