Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Best way to paint my swingarm

• 02-02-2016 1:16am

Hey,

I just bought a k7 gsxr 600, il try to post pics of it but basically there is a good bit of paint missing off the swingarm. Not from a crash but just peeled off through being left exposed to the elements and chain/bolt wear.
    Im comfortable enough sanding it down and giving it a prime and a spray but my question is, the exposed aluminium has a salty look to it but its not worn like rust at all.

Am I ok just sanding this off with aluminium oxide paper back to metal and using an aluminium primer and spraying or do I need to treat it with something for the corrosion/prevention and if so what?

Looking on the web they talk about hammerite but that is going to leave a surface that will end up looking rubbish painted. more suited to a car chassis.
    Im planning on masking off 3/4 of the rear from the box weld and spraying from there. I think I can get a decent enough match.

thanks
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Alloy corrosion is a pain, any left even microscopic will come back and bubble the paint.
    If you want to properly sort it you need to get it soda blasted and painted with etch primer.
    Thats a pain as you will need to remove all the bearings as well.
    Alloy wheels are the same, once the laquer goes the white worm starts and is impossible to remove manually.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Alloy corrosion is a pain, any left even microscopic will come back and bubble the paint.
    If you want to properly sort it you need to get it soda blasted and painted with etch primer.
    Thats a pain as you will need to remove all the bearings as well.
    Alloy wheels are the same, once the laquer goes the white worm starts and is impossible to remove manually.
    Ah crap, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I wonder would I get away with just sanding and painting would it even last a year before the paint came off those parts. Could live with that if so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

hmm'd and haw'd over similar q for a while with my zx6 - lot of paint scrapes from paddock stands etc. In the end I just got a second hand swingarm from ebay for like 50-75e delivered, which beat the pants off the costs of any other option

if they're known for poor paint though, you may just wind up with the same issue again however :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Ah crap, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I wonder would I get away with just sanding and painting would it even last a year before the paint came off those parts. Could live with that if so
    You could certainly try, might be worth looking at something like a 3m abrasive wheel to make life easier, they come in different grades depending on the grain size.
    Like a scotchbrite pad but bigger.
    Get it back to bare alloy and try it out.
    If it lasts a year then you have won.
    I would be slow to start it manually with sandpaper, likely take forever.

Advertisement