Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running/Sports Watch with Altimeter

Options
  • 02-02-2016 2:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

Trail runners:
    Seeking advice - I want a good sports/running watch for trail work (in Ireland and U.S.) - but it's got to have an altimeter.

As far as I can see, the Garmin Fenix 3 or Suunto Ambit Peak are options, but they're fairly pricey (500 yoyos for the G). Any options of repute in the 350 EUR range?

UVOX

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You could try and source a Fenix 2? There are still some out there on sale for new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You should be able to get the Fenix 3 for close enough to €350, here have the red for €369, black for €379, delivery not too expensive. http://www.bike-discount.de/en/praesenz/search?q=fenix+3

Bike 24 have it for the same price, http://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=13&search=fenix+3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Uvox - I would definitely reach for the Fenix 3 over the Fenix 2 if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I picked up my Suunto Ambit 2 for €300 about a year ago and it's available for even less on some websites of you keep an eye out for offers.

It does have a barometric altimeter but to be honest I'm not impressed with that bit of functionality. It doesn't seem to be particularly accurate and I eventually turned it off completely (while I do run on trails about once a week when the weather is nicer, that's not the focus of my training)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks Everyone. I suspect with the Fenix 3 price reduction that the new Fenix 3 upgrade is close:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/01/garmin-fenix3hr-preview.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't think it's being seen as an upgrade, just as new models to the range as Garmin haven't reduced the list price of the basic model. You could get it as those prices as far back as November which was when I started noticing them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

sconhome wrote: »
    Uvox - I would definitely reach for the Fenix 3 over the Fenix 2 if at all possible.

Why? :)
    Depends what exactly a person wants it for either, loads of people out there with snazzy expensive watches who use about 10% of the watches features. :p
    What has the 3 got over the 2? I know nothing about the Fenix watches really but a colleague recently bought the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Why? :)
    Depends what exactly a person wants it for either, loads of people out there with snazzy expensive watches who use about 10% of the watches features. :p
    What has the 3 got over the 2? I know nothing about the Fenix watches really but a colleague recently bought the 2.

Very true, may be stuff people don't use, but generally newer is supported with software and overall the firmware is pretty good.

Glonass
    IQ apps
    Lighter, thinner, better screen.

Mostly the IQ apps which can tailor the view for ABC screens quite nicely & weather displays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

Thanks everyone for the responses. I think I'll go with the 3. As to decisions, it depends on the user experience. Nobody buys a 30,000 Euro watch to just tell the time...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

If you are looking for that scientific edge to your running, then you should go with Suunto Core Altimeter. It has excellent ABC (Altimeter, Barometer and Compass) accuracy; it beats many other watches to the dirt on this aspect.

But you can still consider checking review sites which may help you find those according to your needs: Trusted Reviews or Watch Timely are 2 of the websites I usually check when it comes to watches.

I think I found some that are around your budget on those sites, check the sub pages, see some reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Enduro

If you don't need GPS then don't get a battery draining GPS watch. The difference in battery life is orders of magnitude, so you need to decide what exactly you want your watch to do (In my case 99% of the time it is "tell the time" with a very occasional use to get an indication of altitude. The simplest of barometric altimeter watches is fine for that).

Advertisement