Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing ensuite in 2 bed apartment

Options
  • 02-02-2016 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I am in 2 bed apartment and want to remove the ensuite to make more room for storage in the bedroom. I asked the management company if there is any paperwork might be required for this and was told that since it does not effect any of the structural walls it’s not something that they need to be concerned about .
    Wondering if anyone has done this and if I need to be aware of any potential risks (apart from sale price in a very distant future).
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Dellnum

I did this in my house and had no problems. You can always say when selling again that it can easily be changed back to an ensuite as the pipes are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, you don't need planning or paper work for this. Would be a good idea though to get a plumber ensure that the drains are properly capped and the pipes left in place - i.e. that they don't just rip everything out and damage the pipework. A big chunk of the cost of putting a bathroom back in is sorting out the pipework, so if it's all still there ready to go, that's a major plus for a potential buyer - or for you if you change your mind.
    Plus if the drains aren't properly capped you can get cold and even dodgy smells seeping in from other apartments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't need planning or paper work for this. Would be a good idea though to get a plumber ensure that the drains are properly capped and the pipes left in place - i.e. that they don't just rip everything out and damage the pipework. A big chunk of the cost of putting a bathroom back in is sorting out the pipework, so if it's all still there ready to go, that's a major plus for a potential buyer - or for you if you change your mind.
    Plus if the drains aren't properly capped you can get cold and even dodgy smells seeping in from other apartments.

+1

I had my ensuite disconnected for a while when other work was being done and obviously as it was never supposed to be a permanent fix its was just blocked, but the work took longer than expected and after a while the smells were ungodly.

I'd really make sure this was done properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If you are going to do this then make sure you take picture of where all the pipes are and do a detailed sized diagram. It will help if anybody wants to put it back in.
    It will devalue the property but if you don't sell for a long time you probably don't care.

I personally would do it myself as you will be charged a lot to do something that is really just physical labour and some very simple skills that you can read up on the internet. Pay for the tidy up of the walls and floor instead

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

Thanks guys. Yes, I will be getting a plummer to cap the pipes and drains to make sure it is done properly, and plan to do the labor work of taking down the walls myself. Keeping the diagram of pipes and making sure they are capped in such way that it all can be restored if needed is a great tip.

I did check with my solicitor about the paperwork and she advised to get it in writing from the property management company that they are ok with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

asark wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Yes, I will be getting a plummer to cap the pipes and drains to make sure it is done properly, and plan to do the labor work of taking down the walls myself. Keeping the diagram of pipes and making sure they are capped in such way that it all can be restored if needed is a great tip.

I did check with my solicitor about the paperwork and she advised to get it in writing from the property management company that they are ok with it.

When you say "taking down the walls", do you really mean fully incorporating it into your bedroom. If you could find a way to repurpose it as storage without removing the walls, I think you will minimise the long term cost. It would very much limit the market if you try to sell a 2 bed ostensibly with pre plumbing with no walls as having an easily restored en suite. A 2 bed apartment without en suite is almost unknown these days, irrespective of personal need or preference.

I'd be leaving the walls where they are and just turn the en-suite into a storage room with as little actual changes as possible. It would put me and a lot of others off if you are selling it or renting it as most people want en-suites so being able to easily convert back would be the best way to do it.

Is it long term storage or short term storage you lacking? If it's stuff you don't use much is storing it in your home place etc an option, would save you a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Agreed, conversion to a walk-in wardrobe is probably best, depending on the size of the ensuite. Plasterboard walls are easily repaired/skimmed and then painted. Putting up new stud walls is relatively straightforward, but it's a messy job that would require both the ensuite and the bedroom to be redecorated.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭asark

Yes, storage is mainly what I wanted to use the space for, and was planning to take down the walls completely. Leaving the walls as they are, and just capping the pluming is not something I thought about, but it makes really sound sense! I could just turn it into walk-in wardrobe with lots of storage, with minimal long term value depreciation.

Really appreciate your advice guys! Thank you so much.

Advertisement