Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland should honour Tom Crean

Options
  • 02-02-2016 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

There's a decent movement growing, particularly on Facebook, to give Tom Crean the recognition he deserves.

Initially they wanted to rename the Airport in Kerry but that has been rejected so there's talk of other initiatives.

In fairness, the man had balls of steel and just kept going back to Antarctica. It must have been some adventure! Imagine being a part of some thing like that.

About Tom Cream and his heroics: http://coastmonkey.ie/ireland-should-honor-tom-crean/

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'd agree entirely. I wonder if prior to the current level of popularity and acceptance was there an embarrassment that he was Royal Navy AB and these expeditions were very much for the glory of the British Empire? Shackleton was also born in Ireland, but his country of birth has turned its back on one of its greatest polar explorers.

Both men are legends and deserve all the publicity and credit they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

Both men are certainly legends!

I think you might be right about that. A few older generations of Irish who were involved with to do with the empire may have had seriously diminished recognition that still lingers.

What these older Irish heroes deserve at the very least is a fresh and fair appraisal of their personal achievements.

And really, it feels like there is serious desire for this.

A mature inclusive Ireland, proud of it's many and varied sons and daughters!

Advertisement