Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assessing Flood Risk Before Purchase

Options
  • 02-02-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

First time buyer, have seen a house we like in our price range, have not yet made an offer.

The house is a one-off in Fingal.

I'm trying to get as much information as I can on the property as I have found newspaper reports of flooding on a nearby road. I haven't found anything relating to this particular property and the FEM FRAMS Flood Extent maps seem to indicate a 1 in 10 annual chance of flooding on the road outside the property with no indication of flooding on the land itself.

What I'm trying to understand is:
    How much faith should in these maps?
    Does the vendor have to disclose any past flooding when we ask?
    Do engineers assess flood risk as part of a report?
    Is there anywhere I can go for independent assessment of the property or advice?

The maps are surely a great resource but I'm not an engineer or a statistician so I want to be sure I understand them properly.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

First thing I would do is ring some insurance companies and ask for a quote on the property. If it or the street has flooded before you will encounter a brick wall. I'm aware of people who have difficulty getting insurance when their houses are 60 feet higher than those that flooded because they share a street name.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭TSQ

You can check every road for history of flooding on floodmaps.ie. Will give the dates, a report on the cause of the flood, and usually recommendations for remedial works (in which case you can check if the works have been completed)

Advertisement