Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing first alarm system - perimeter priority?

• 02-02-2016 1:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭

Always been interested in installing some sort of alarm/CCTV system, and hope to get round to it this year hopefully.

I have read that alarms should come before CCTV system, as CCTV systems can be made useless by a hood or mask.

And with alarms, protecting the perimeter should be a priority over PIRs inside, as you want to stop them getting in in the 1st instance.

So if I had a limited budget, and I was going for a system to protect the perimeter, what would it be best to concentrate funds on initially? Door/window sensors at likely points of entry? BAck of house first before front?

I would of course hope to add PIRs, more sensors, cameras etc as time and money allows.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Are you looking at wired or wireless.?
    If I was to prioritise protection it would be All Doors> Ground Back & Side Windows >Ground Front Windows > Pir Hall & Landing > Other accessible windows (accessible from low roof extension etc) > Non Accessible Windows.
    Inertia sensors & contacts on all accessible windows.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If I was to prioritise protection it would be All Doors> Ground Back & Side Windows >Ground Front Windows > Pir Hall & Landing > Other accessible windows (accessible from low roof extension etc) > Non Accessible Windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

KoolKid wrote: »

Thanks for reply.

Probably wireless.

Inertia sensors, are these separate to the contacts? I am guessing these can make alarm go off without a window being opened, as opposed to a contact only activating once window opens? Is that right?

Can you get them combined in the one unit?

Would you agree with overall logic of perimeter protection first before spending money inside? Or on a CCTV?

You can get a combined inertia contact. Yes, I would say alarm before cctv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Re: a home alarm system with perimeter protection.

Is there much need for internal protection on top of this?

My logic? If you have every possible point of entry alarmed then surely a burglar would set off your alarm gaining entry, and PIRs etc inside the house would not be needed?

• Advertisement

I would suggest 2 PiRs on top of perimeter protection. It's a second line of defence plus it's verifies an alarm if monitored or self monitored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭kub

Any professional installer would specify at least 2 PIR'S.
    There are ways through windows other than opening or smashing them, depending on of course their construction.
    Also most houses have slate roofs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kub wrote: »
    Any professional installer would specify at least 2 PIR'S.
    There are ways through windows other than opening or smashing them, depending on of course their construction.
    Also most houses have slate roofs.

+1

Also, from experience, sometimes zones are omited from the system to accommodate building works or new windows and aren't put back onto the system when they should.

We would always recommend at least one motion detector.

Advertisement