Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which printer?

Options
  • 02-02-2016 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am looking to buy a new printer very soon with copy, scan, wifi functions. My budget is very tight and need to get something that won't break the bank. The printer will not be sued frequently perhaps two dozen or so times per month. Originally I thought I'll pick up something cheap like a Canon or HP for 40, I'm now thinking it might be a false economy
    I have been looking at previous trends and people recommend Brother printers. There are two on sale in PC World at the moment;

Brother DCPJ4120DW All-in-One Wireless A3 Inkjet Printer
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-dcpj4120dw-allinone-wireless-a3-inkjet-printer/324935/400.0.0.

BROTHER DCP1512 All-in-One Monochrome Laser Printer
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-dcp1512-allinone-monochrome-laser-printer/320213/400.0.0

Both are around the 90 mark. First is inkjet while the other is laser, the other difference is the laser one is black colour only. Would I be better off picking up something cheaper since the printer won't be used a lot or investing in one of the above? Another thing I read that to connect the printer to wifi you need a WPS button on the router which mine doesn't have, is there an another way to set it up without this?

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭ifeelstupid

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL3150CDW-Colour-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00BJOA3TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454420042&sr=8-1&keywords=HL-3150CDW

I have this one, might be a bit pricey for what you need but can't fault it. Easy to set up wireless printing on it. Doesn't have a scan facility, not a problem for me as I use the scanner on an old HP inkjet printer that broke my heart having to replace cartridges too often!! Inkjet printers are much cheaper to buy but the consumables add up to much more over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Terre wrote: »
    I am looking to buy a new printer very soon with copy, scan, wifi functions. My budget is very tight and need to get something that won't break the bank. The printer will not be sued frequently perhaps two dozen or so times per month. Originally I thought I'll pick up something cheap like a Canon or HP for 40, I'm now thinking it might be a false economy
    I have been looking at previous trends and people recommend Brother printers. There are two on sale in PC World at the moment;

Brother DCPJ4120DW All-in-One Wireless A3 Inkjet Printer
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-dcpj4120dw-allinone-wireless-a3-inkjet-printer/324935/400.0.0.

BROTHER DCP1512 All-in-One Monochrome Laser Printer
    http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/brother-dcp1512-allinone-monochrome-laser-printer/320213/400.0.0

Both are around the 90 mark. First is inkjet while the other is laser, the other difference is the laser one is black colour only. Would I be better off picking up something cheaper since the printer won't be used a lot or investing in one of the above? Another thing I read that to connect the printer to wifi you need a WPS button on the router which mine doesn't have, is there an another way to set it up without this?

Any suggestions please?

I have the above and it's excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Terre

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brother-HL3150CDW-Colour-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00BJOA3TO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454420042&sr=8-1&keywords=HL-3150CDW

I have this one, might be a bit pricey for what you need but can't fault it. Easy to set up wireless printing on it. Doesn't have a scan facility, not a problem for me as I use the scanner on an old HP inkjet printer that broke my heart having to replace cartridges too often!! Inkjet printers are much cheaper to buy but the consumables add up to much more over time.

Lovely looking machine, fairly north my budget unfortunately.

Techmaster wrote: »
    I have the above and it's excellent.

Is it straight forward connecting it to laptops via wifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I have a canon mg 4150 and I bought it for 50 quid a couple of years back and its excellent for a home user. Wireless, all in one, and ink isnt too expensive either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Terre wrote: »
    Is it straight forward connecting it to laptops via wifi?

Very simple. You can use an app on your phone, or Google Cloud Print on your PC. Very simple to set up.

Cheers that was on my radar too, €65 up in PC world at the minute. I will look into it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

is space a decider as that is an A3 printer so would be larger than normal?

188 x 480 x 290 mm (H x W x D)

as opposed to for the laser

385 x 340 x 255 mm (H x W x D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Define "not used often"

As a general rule, inkjet cartridges cost less but don't last as long and laser toners cost more but last longer.

Laser winds up saving you money long-term but if your printer is genuinely going to sit there for ages and ages then you might not feel that saving.

One thing to keep in mind is that with an inkjet that isn't used often, the ink can dry in the channels inside the printer and that can impact the print quality / possibly prevent the printer from working. You won't get this effect with a laser machine.

Another thing to consider is what you'll be printing. If you want to print photos then get an inkjet, hands-down. If it's just documents and you don't need colour then the mono laser isn't a bad shout.

Hard to give a black and white answer without knowing your exact printing habits but the above are some factors to take into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭davo2001

Can vouch for the DCPJ4120DW also, had it a year now and no issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement