Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,186 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The non availability of CAT 3 capability will be down to either an aircraft technical issue, or crew recency or training requirements, and realistically, CAT 3 this time of the year would be unusual, it could however mean that the aircraft won't be able to get back to Dublin tonight, depending on how long this weather takes to clear.

Been a while since I heard of LVP's in DUB in July!

Weather's improving now, all RVR's in excess of 2000m and cloud up to 200ft. TAF has fog gone by 3am.

ATC giving people CAT I approaches again, however aircraft wishing to continue with CAT III. This seems to be a common theme, anyone like to shed light on why air traffic control are always so eager to switch back to CAT I? It's not like it'll overly cause delays at this stage, very few inbounds now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

there are all sorts of issues about ground movements in Cat 3, if they can use a lower category, they can get other aircraft moved in ways that are not possible with LVP in force, and I suspect that the use of CAT 3 means they have to use LVP. Some of it will be simply a case of the controllers not being able to physically see that aircraft have cleared runways, and issues like that, the ground movement radars have been updated, but it could be the case that the procedures haven't caught up yet.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

The 2 ryanairs from LPL are in DUB, and the first of the 6 in Shannon has taken off.

On the departures list all 6 ryanairs are scheduled for takeoff from Shannon, however the Aer Lingus isn't, no handling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Just this second heard an Aircraft pass over Donaghmede

Not on FR and it's pretty late........sounds like a small turbo prop??

Any ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Simon Gruber Says

EI339 never left Belfast again. Kept on the plane for 2 hours and then just abandoned with no transport, food or accommodation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Just this second heard an Aircraft pass over Donaghmede

Not on FR and it's pretty late........sounds like a small turbo prop??

Any ideas

There were 2 late cargo turboprop flights into Dublin late last night, the first was a Saab 340, then later, (most likely) an ATR72, both from Birmingham.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

EI339 never left Belfast again. Kept on the plane for 2 hours and then just abandoned with no transport, food or accommodation.

Were you bussed to DUB? I'm surprised you diverted there as EI would have no handling agent or staff there to take care of things.
    Was SNN full ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Locker10a wrote: »
    Were you bussed to DUB? I'm surprised you diverted there as EI would have no handling agent or staff there to take care of things.
    Was SNN full ?

Shannon and Belfast are the preferred alternates, both are EI bases with overnighting aircraft, Dublin based pilots don't really like Cork due the crosswind and fog issues which occur often.

Was SNN full ?

Was after 7:30am when a bus finally arrived. Luckily I had a friend living nearby who picked me up.

The fact that passengers were left standing in the airport entrance for nearly 6 hours is pretty terrible. There were no EI staff on site, no food vouchers and no communication about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

There were 2 late cargo turboprop flights into Dublin late last night, the first was a Saab 340, then later, (most likely) an ATR72, both from Birmingham.

I do love a good Turboprop :cool:

Thanks for that :)

• Advertisement

Was SNN full ?

Shannon and Belfast are the preferred alternates, both are EI bases with overnighting aircraft, Dublin based pilots don't really like Cork due the crosswind and fog issues which occur often.

Belfast International is not an EI base, has no overnighting aircraft and no EI staff based there, SNN does however which is why I'm surprised it didn't go there maybe it was full, although at that hour I can't imagine any airports having the staff on to handle such disruption

Was SNN full ?

Was after 7:30am when a bus finally arrived. Luckily I had a friend living nearby who picked me up.

The fact that passengers were left standing in the airport entrance for nearly 6 hours is pretty terrible. There were no EI staff on site, no food vouchers and no communication about anything.
    Sounds an absolute nightmare, but unfortunately pretty standard for these type of diversions, I've been in that situation several times myself, all it takes is a handful of planes to divert somewhere and it can then take hours to get steps, ground staff etc to handle the flight

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Something interesting. 4 planes south of Luxembourg circulating over head the Tour de France route. Must be for television and communication?

Belfast International is not an EI base, has no overnighting aircraft and no EI staff based there, SNN does however which is why I'm surprised it didn't go there maybe it was full, although at that hour I can't imagine any airports having the staff on to handle such disruption

BFS are the preferred alternative for the past 2 years or so for EI, with the majority of EI diversions heading there. I think it was suggested before that this was because they can get handling there, whereas it is much more difficult in SNN where handlers would be finishing or finished.

This isn't the same for Ryanair, as Swissport are nearly always available.

The previously injured LN-NHB departing SNN for EDI, presumably to operate today's Edinburgh to Providence flight. Yesterday's inaugural Shannon to Providence flight was cancelled, as well as last night's Providence to Edinburgh flight.

Pretty embarrassing to have the inaugural flight cancelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

Appalling. This from an airline that claims in its ads to be 4 Star and describes its passengers as "guests". Reminds me of the life and times of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Boo-kay) :)

Yeah I feel sorry the most for passengers who were travelling with babies. There was no water made available. There were vending machines but they required Sterling coins, which people on a flight from Germany to Ireland aren't likely to have.

From reading Twitter, apparently even after the buses arrived there was a further delay, so it would have been after 9 or 10 AM before they got to Dublin, a delay of between 10-11 hours overall.

Anyone have any experience of submitting an EU261 claim? I'll certainly be making one after this experience.

Anyone have any experience of submitting an EU261 claim? I'll certainly be making one after this experience.

You're not entitled to any compensation I'm afraid, EU261 doesn't apply to you as it was a weather diversion.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    You're not entitled to any compensation I'm afraid, EU261 doesn't apply to you as it was a weather diversion.

Ah, forgot about that. I suppose that takes precedence over the fact that the return flight was cancelled due to inability to get a fuel truck to the aircraft and then the aircraft going out of it's maintenance hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

IRL269 inbound to EIME in the next 5-10 minutes.

• Advertisement

Mebuntu wrote: »

Appalling. This from an airline that claims in its ads to be 4 Star and describes its passengers as "guests". Reminds me of the life and times of Hyacinth Bucket (pronounced Boo-kay) :)
    You could be on any airline in the world, when diversions like this happen it's chaos.
    If EI did indeed select Belfast international as their diversion airport of choice then it appears they failed miserable to cater for such a diversion when it actually happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

Negative_G wrote: »
    IRL269 inbound to EIME in the next 5-10 minutes.

That the replacement PC-9 for 265?

You could be on any airline in the world, when diversions like this happen it's chaos.
    If EI did indeed select Belfast international as their diversion airport of choice then it appears they failed miserable to cater for such a diversion when it actually happened.

The EI that diverted to Shannon didn't arrive in Dublin until around 9:30 this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Plan was to refuel and continue to Dublin, but the aircraft required a mandatory engineering inspection which fell due while on the ground in Belfast, this could not be resolved quickly, so you now have a out of hours crew and a aircraft which isn't legal to fly.

Aircraft positioned back to Dublin at 1030, assuming a flight crew and engineer sent by road to recover the aircraft and last nights crew

Belfast is a lot shorter drive than Shannon, should be less than 2 hours, Shannon would be 3 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Negative_G

faoiarvok wrote: »
    That the replacement PC-9 for 265?

Correct.

Belfast is a lot shorter drive than Shannon, should be less than 2 hours, Shannon would be 3 at least

Shannon is 2hrs 40mins, despite heavy traffic at the moment. Should be just over 2hrs at that time of night. Think you're overestimating the distance Shannon is from Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

JCX BXC wrote:

I once claimed 400 euro from Ryanair for a weather diversion so that's not quite true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Shannon is 2hrs 40mins, despite heavy traffic at the moment. Should be just over 2hrs at that time of night. Think you're overestimating the distance Shannon is from Dublin Airport.

Diverted into SNN about 6 months ago due to winds, took the bus just under 4 hrs at 2 in the morning, that includes a 20 minute stop

billie1b wrote: »
    Diverted into SNN about 6 months ago due to winds, took the bus just under 4 hrs at 2 in the morning, that includes a 20 minute stop

I'm sorry Billie I've travelled that road too many times to know either the bus was doing 40km/h or something ridiculous, or that didn't happen. Easily less than 2hrs in a car between Limerick and Dublin airport.

If we would rather compare distances, it's 234km Dublin to Shannon, or 171km Dublin to Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

At 100kmh ratelimit thats 2 and a half hours, with a 20 minute stop and 10 minutes faffing, its 3h00m, more likely 3h15m in total. Long, horrid trip.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement