Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,182 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

billie1b wrote: »
    Flight plans are for DUB, correct, but they are diverting to SNN due to no capacity at DUB at the moment, place is bonkers! Might get one or two in but not all 3

All 3 went to DUB.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

JCX BXC wrote: »
    All 3 went to DUB.

I see the new Ryanair, EI-GJD had a go-around.

Plus, 3 Emirates B777 in the sky, coming and going from DUB

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

All 3 went to DUB.

Good! Don’t want them feckers down in SNN get all the goodies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Question, why is gate assignment such an utter mess in DUB. I was just listening to the ground frequencies there and there’s been several issue with flights landing and not having a gate. Now I can understand this happening from time to time, but why can certain flights only use certain gates (provided they are of course in the correct terminal)
    E.g. EIN68R is currently stuck on a rwy 34 waiting for a fedex to clear it’s gate at T2, but I know for a fact there are other free gates in T2 available as I watched flights push back and vacate them, why can’t this flight use one of those free gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭The Veteran

Locker10a wrote: »
    Question, why is gate assignment such an utter mess in DUB. I was just listening to the ground frequencies there and there’s been several issue with flights landing and not having a gate. Now I can understand this happening from time to time, but why can certain flights only use certain gates (provided they are of course in the correct terminal)
    E.g. EIN68R is currently stuck on a rwy 34 waiting for a fedex to clear it’s gate at T2, but I know for a fact there are other free gates in T2 available as I watched flights push back and vacate them, why can’t this flight use one of those free gates.

Stand as opposed to Gate allocation is a very complex thing; type of aircraft is a major driver; airline preferences; what other traffic is doing and whether stands are available for use at all. DUB aid currently short a couple of the 400s and 300s given the apron strengthening works that are underway. Wide bodies can only go to certain stands and some airlines want bridges specifically. Towing aircraft off stands is a major undertaking and if that is tried across a busy airfield it would be carnage.

Yes there’s an element of design restrictions at DUB that contributes to this but that’s the way it is. The airlines themselves “know the craic” and everyone has been genuinely trying to work together in recent days - competitive tensions are set aside but even still there are a huge amount of moving parts.

Add to this then (some complaining on other threads) baggage reclaim but again the baggage halls (behind what the passenger sees) have hills entering and leaving and will be very slippy at the moment.

We have spent a lot of money to ensure we have staff on duty but other “moving parts” have more staff than we do, operate to commercial tight margins and would be under pressure to have sufficient staff in. All the agencies and companies at the airport have staff running on empty at the moment based on extra hours over the last 4-5 days at this stage.

• Advertisement

A very delayed LTN-NOC just on finals now, must be well past the airports usual operating hours, for winter anyway !

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A very delayed LTN-NOC just on finals now, must be well past the airports usual operating hours, for winter anyway !
    Departed 11 hours and 57 minutes late from Luton. I don't think there'll be any trumpet upon landing on this flight.

T2, in a Saturday night usually has 3 arrivals from the Canaries around now. Tonight T2 is working until approx 2 am. That of itself will cause its own problems.

T1 on a Saturday night is usually done by 00:30; tonight it’s working until 03:00.

Challenging times all round.

As regular posters know, I am connected to one of the services at the airport, but leaving that aside there are lots of staff working very hard putting in the hours to keep the place moving. There are a lot of people will be happy to see Monday so they can sleep.

marno21 wrote: »
    Departed 11 hours and 57 minutes late from Luton. I don't think there'll be any trumpet upon landing on this flight.
    I feel a bit faint thinking about the poor return flight pax who I can only assume have spent the last 12+ hours in the departure lounge, those of you familiar with it will understand. It’s tiny and barely any daylight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A rare visitor to Shannon on a Saturday night, DHL A300 BCS860

Just think of all the lovely overtime. ;)

If only!

EI876 ORK-ACE was diverted to FUE earlier and the return cancelled. Positioning back to Cork now as EI991

EI876 ORK-ACE was diverted to FUE earlier and the return cancelled. Positioning back to Cork now as EI991

Judging by social media, there's lots of angry passengers in Lanzarote lately, between poor WX in either the British isles or Lanzarote the disruption has been immense. In an Irish sense all flights were cancelled Thursday and Friday and many today. Last weekend saw very poor weather in Lanzarote too, causing massive issues.

It seems the reversal of the zonal winds has put the canaries into a very unusual southerly airflow, bringing alot of moisture to the desert islands. Lanzarote faces many issues when the use of RWY21 is active, as it has no ILS (low cloud base associated with rain stops all approaches) and a poor approach path (very bumpy due to terrain, last minute adjustments needed, when weather is bad a go around is very common).

Not a good time to be flying between Lanzarote and Ireland. Hopefully all is normal soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Lapmo_Dancer

Other way around. 03 has an ILS, 21 is non precision

Other way around. 03 has an ILS, 21 is non precision

Yup, mixed them up. Ironically I was talking about a southerly wind and using 03 :(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

As regular posters know, I am connected to one of the services at the airport, but leaving that aside there are lots of staff working very hard putting in the hours to keep the place moving. There are a lot of people will be happy to see Monday so they can sleep.
    I got to the chemist today to buy medicine for a sick family member, both staff there had to walk an hour to be able to open today.

This is a problem for the airport, getting staff to the locations they need to be at. I can reliably let you know that Aer Lingus had told their staff that they have hired in 4x4 vehicles to collect them if they are stuck. So the airline is certainly trying its best to get itself back to something resembling normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »
    I got to the chemist today to buy medicine for a sick family member, both staff there had to walk an hour to be able to open today.

This is a problem for the airport, getting staff to the locations they need to be at. I can reliably let you know that Aer Lingus had told their staff that they have hired in 4x4 vehicles to collect them if they are stuck. So the airline is certainly trying its best to get itself back to something resembling normality.

Same as Ryanair, they were using 4x4 to collect staff and get them into work and home, and if they couldn’t get them home they were being offered hotel rooms for the night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

billie1b wrote: »
    Same as Ryanair, they were using 4x4 to collect staff and get them into work and home, and if they couldn’t get them home they were being offered hotel rooms for the night.

Good to see as well. Airlines want to get back on track ASAP

Judging by social media, there's lots of angry passengers in Lanzarote lately, between poor WX in either the British isles or Lanzarote the disruption has been immense. In an Irish sense all flights were cancelled Thursday and Friday and many today. Last weekend saw very poor weather in Lanzarote too, causing massive issues.

It seems the reversal of the zonal winds has put the canaries into a very unusual southerly airflow, bringing alot of moisture to the desert islands. Lanzarote faces many issues when the use of RWY21 is active, as it has no ILS (low cloud base associated with rain stops all approaches) and a poor approach path (very bumpy due to terrain, last minute adjustments needed, when weather is bad a go around is very common).

Not a good time to be flying between Lanzarote and Ireland. Hopefully all is normal soon.
    Michael Healy Rae has said on RedFM that Aer Lingus have chartered a 767 for a rescue flight tomorrow. Could be a rare opportunity to see a 767 in action in Cork.

• Advertisement

Michael Healy Rae has said on RedFM that Aer Lingus have chartered a 767 for a rescue flight tomorrow. Could be a rare opportunity to see a 767 in action in Cork.

Yeah I heard that, apparently a Titan.

Hopefully they have stairs this time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Did a Titan 767 fly down to Cork from Belfast a while ago? Can't remember who it was carrying.... Was it the Star Wars cast?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Ryanair 9452 took off from Dublin to Treviso and entered a hold for s few minutes just off the north county coast. It has just left the hold and is climbing outward so perhaps they were troubleshooting an issue which is now resolved

EIN980P G-POWD currently waiting to takeoff at Stansted

Edit: due into Dublin at 5:45

EIN980P G-POWD currently waiting to takeoff at Stansted

Edit: due into Dublin at 5:45
    There are 3 Titan aircraft operating extra flight for EI today in an effort to clear the backlog of disrupted pax

EI2775 now en route ACE-DUB.

A lovely 3 hour bus journey for all the stranded Cork bound pax

EI2775 now en route ACE-DUB.

A lovely 3 hour bus journey for all the stranded Cork bound pax

Thought it was going to Cork?

Plenty of Stranded SNN pax too.

Thought it was going to Cork?

Plenty of Stranded SNN pax too.

No going to Dublin as per C103 this morning, also shown on arrivals at Dublin

G-POWH positioning back to STN now after operating FAO-DUB this morning. 757

Is anyone finding the performance of the FR app quite slow / sluggish lately, particularly loading aircraft, route, and flight details and path?

• Advertisement

Is anyone finding the performance of the FR app quite slow / sluggish lately, particularly loading aircraft, route, and flight details and path?

Seems to have been a broadband issue. A router restsrt seems to have done the trick

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement