Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Its a cool aircraft. I think pics were posted last year when it was in Dublin.
    It has a host of test electronics inside and a couple of mounts on the forward fuselage to place test equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IQO

travist wrote: »
    Thanks. Interesting. What do they use it for? Why the propeller engine is on it?
    There's an interesting interview with one of the pilots of this plane in https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/avtalk-episode-31-aviation-uncertainty/ episode 31.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Virgin Atlantic Heathrow to new York seems 2 be diverting back 2 londan. Just off the Kerry coast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

VIR25B LHR-JFK returing to LHR. A330 G-VUFO. Rare to have an A330 on that flight in the first place. Always an A340. Currently approaching London now and descending.Returing due to an issue with a windscreen wiper blade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Under His Eye

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It doesn’t have a prop engine on it. The aircraft is used as an engine test bed. The aircraft is currently being used to test inflight WiFi and it flies over large cities to see what interference the aircraft is getting while flying over them from all the signals below. They then apply that to their WiFi equipment to improve speeds and stability and then sell that tech to the airlines. The aircraft has also been trialling automated approach sequencing with other aircraft to see if more efficient approaches can be flown by computers versus humans.

According to these pictures it can have a prop engine on it

Esel wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Buffman

Today's Cityjet WX118 DUB-LCY diverted to SEN due to a cracked flightdeck window.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭roadmaster

An Antonvo AN 12 just over clane heading for shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

Would it be just a stop over in Shannon? Then out over the atlantic? Second Cavock AN 12 thats been there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

roadmaster wrote: »
    An Antonvo AN 12 just over clane heading for shannon

I think I heard this on Baggot Street around 3:15!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

EI3208 DUB-KIR is holding near INRAD. Overflew the airfield and went into hold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The AN225 is back. Long time no see!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

It flew into RAF Brize Norton a few days ago also.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

PR-WRO & PR-NZV headed south west over Cork in convoy out of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭rio1

FR8035 Ryanair Dublin to Cologne yesterday looks odd on Flightradar24...shortly before landing it shows a sharp turnaround and seems to go back and then turn again...could someone with more knowledge than me have a look? Interested in what it was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

rio1 wrote: »
    FR8035 Ryanair Dublin to Cologne yesterday looks odd on Flightradar24...shortly before landing it shows a sharp turnaround and seems to go back and then turn again...could someone with more knowledge than me have a look? Interested in what it was doing.

Haven’t seen it but aircraft will make all sorts of S shape turns and loops for traffic spacing before landing.

Yes, I see that a lot, but these aren’t s shaped. Maybe it’s a glitch on Flightradar24.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yes, I see that a lot, but these aren’t s shaped. Maybe it’s a glitch on Flightradar24.

Are you sure it's FR8035, Dublin to Cologne, yesterday? I can't find anything particularly out of normal. If so, could you screenshot the part you find unusual?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Are you sure it's FR8035, Dublin to Cologne, yesterday? I can't find anything particularly out of normal. If so, could you screenshot the part you find unusual?

Same.

I find sometimes when you playback FR24 after the fact, the playback can stutter and jump back and forth, which might be all that was happening.

• Advertisement

It’s here....you barely see it when not zoomed, it was just an odd pause, and then zooming in I saw this.

It’s here -without zooming you barely see it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

That's just a glitch

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It’s here -without zooming you barely see it...

Definitely a glitch as above, planes can't make movements like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Lovely melody of an Antonov going over north Dublin at the mo enroute to Shannon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Lovely melody of an Antonov going over north Dublin at the mo enroute to Shannon!

Some sound! I wonder what headsets the pilots wear? Would need more than a pair of A20s if it sounds like that from FL240!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭bronn

Heard it loud and clear in Churchtown too. Some roar off it. Must be deafening inside it - whatever headset they wear, I reckon you'd need earplugs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Anybody know what took off from Shannon and flew over Ennis about 20 mins ago? 4 turboprops c130 style aircraft

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Ciano35 wrote: »
    Anybody know what took off from Shannon and flew over Ennis about 20 mins ago? 4 turboprops c130 style aircraft

Saw a c130 landing about 7pm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Saw a c130 landing about 7pm

Plane carrying 30 passengers makes emergency landing at Shannon Airport after engine failure

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/plane-carrying-30-passengers-makes-emergency-landing-at-shannon-airport-after-engine-failure-37314157.html

Pat Flynn

September 13 2018 7:52 PM

A US military plane has made an emergency landing at Shannon Airport this evening.

The Lockheed C-130 Hercules transport plane suffered an issue with one of its engines forcing the crew to shut it down.

The plane was travelling with two other aircraft all of which were due to make a technical stop in Shannon. It’s understood there were 30 crew and passengers on board the plane.

The pilot declared an emergency shortly before the plane was due in Shannon and requested fire crews to be standing by for their arrival.

Units of the local authority fire service from Shannon Town and Ennis were dispatched to Shannon to support the airport’s own fire and rescue service. A number of ambulances and several Garda units were also sent to the airport.

The flight landed safely shortly before 7.00pm and taxied to a remote parking stand accompanied by fire crews.

Engineers are expected inspect the engine to assess the cause of the problem before it continues its journey.

The aircraft is attached to the 139th Airlift Wing, a unit of the Missouri Air National Guard stationed in St. Joseph, Missouri.

Online Editors

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement