Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

RYR985 East Midlands zto Dublin Squawked the 77's over the coast off North Wales, has turned back and seems to be descending towards Manchester

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Looks like a journalist was on EI236.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/flying-in-storm-ciara-four-landing-attempts-vomiting-passengers-diversion-to-germany-1.4170209

I'm intrigued at the suggestion that there were four attempts to land. The track on FR24 only suggests one.

Does anyone know if EI has a missed approach limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Nice to see a B747 (Atlas Air) on approach into Dublin. Big white plane gliding gently in to land.
    https://www.flightradar24.com/CMB135/23d0fa47

Wonder what she is here for? Came from ROZ, Naval Station Rota, a "Spanish" military facility fully funded by the US Military.

Didn't expect to see this driving past airport yesterday so was great to see, it was parked up at the time, Anyone any idea when its off again?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

EI very definitely have a 2 'go around' limit.

Looking at the FR24 track maybe the switch from holding pattern to another was counted as an approach?

That article was surprising lacking in "we thought we would die" moments. Would love to see the Indo or Sun version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »

Looking at the FR24 track maybe the switch from holding pattern to another was counted as an approach?

That article was surprising lacking in "we thought we would die" moments. Would love to see the Indo or Sun version

It didn’t even make an attempt at one landing, one approach maybe and the lowest it got was 3,500ft, broke off before even intercepting the localiser, the rest were just holding patterns and then a divert direct to LPL across the aerodrome at 12,000ft or so

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

I thought that, too, but on Saturday, as reported here, EI353 Munich-DUB landed on its third attempt, one on 28 and two on 16. Maybe the limit is on a "per-runway" basis?

Mebuntu wrote: »
    I thought that, too, but on Saturday, as reported here, EI353 Munich-DUB landed on its third attempt, one on 28 and two on 16. Maybe the limit is on a "per-runway" basis?

If there is a significant change in weather/wind direction and or RWY change previous attempt on last RWY doesn’t count

billie1b wrote: »
    It didn’t even make an attempt at one landing, one approach maybe and the lowest it got was 3,500ft, broke off before even intercepting the localiser, the rest were just holding patterns and then a divert direct to LPL across the aerodrome at 12,000ft or so

There's a discussion going on this on the Irish Times page on Faffbook – someone who's claiming to be a passenger on the flight says that there were multiple attempts to land. I'm inclined to trust FR24 personally.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    There's a discussion going on this on the Irish Times page on Faffbook – someone who's claiming to be a passenger on the flight says that there were multiple attempts to land. I'm inclined to trust FR24 personally.

Clearly they’re a non aviation person who not understood what an approach is and is misunderstanding attempts at landing with altitude changes probably felt from ascending/descending/ changing hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭lambayire

Noxegon wrote: »
    There's a discussion going on this on the Irish Times page on Faffbook – someone who's claiming to be a passenger on the flight says that there were multiple attempts to land. I'm inclined to trust FR24 personally.

I had a similar experience at landing in Gatwick a few months back.
    The first attempt was a definite go-around. We were very close to the runway.

Then a few minutes later, the plane just dropped or at least that's how it felt as we were on approach.
    And then the engines roared away. I figured that was attempt number 2. We got down safely a few minutes later. I checked FR24 and there was indeed no missed 2nd attempt. I remain utterly baffled.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

lambayire wrote: »
    I had a similar experience at landing in Gatwick a few months back.
    The first attempt was a definite go-around. We were very close to the runway.

Then a few minutes later, the plane just dropped or at least that's how it felt as we were on approach.
    And then the engines roared away. I figured that was attempt number 2. We got down safely a few minutes later. I checked FR24 and there was indeed no missed 2nd attempt. I remain utterly baffled.

Possibly just a request to expedite an immediate climb !? Needn’t necessarily have been on approach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭Comhrá

https://mentourpilot.com/virgin-beats-ba-in-transatlantic-crossing/

Yesterday we reported on the severe weather affecting Northwest Europe and the UK in particular.

But every cloud has its silver lining; flights east-bound were able to take advantage of the immensely strong jet-stream associated with storm Ciara and posted record times for routes crossing the Atlantic.
    ©gcmaps

On Saturday evening, British Airways 747-400 operating flight 112 a recorded a new record of four hours and 56 minutes, breaking the previous time of five hours and 13 minutes held by Norwegian 787-9 from JFK to Gatwick. That evening Virgin were a very close second with VS4 at four hours and 57 minutes.

Well, Virgin have won back the bragging rights by some margin, with their JFK-LHR/VS 4 making the journey in a lightning four hours and 47 minutes; that’s nine minutes faster. Virgin’s Head of Flight Crew, Robbert A Strating (sic.) reported the A350-1000 as having made a groundspeed of 724 knots, pushed along by a tailwind of 218 knots. (1340 kph/404 kph)
    Virgin A350-1000 ©flights.com.kw

To add insult to injury, Strating made the point that the Airbus burned 22 tons less fuel than the BA flight!

Richard Branson would have to go like the wind (oh please! – ed) to break the all-time record of one hour 56 minutes by the Lockheed Blackbird.
    Virgin Galactic SpaceShipOne ©BBC

Unless he includes a trip with Virgin Galactic at some time in the future.

And that would just be cheating.

Thanks for reading Virgin Beats BA in Transatlantic Crossing. This content was provided to Mentour Pilot by Travel Radar Media <<– click to read more!

Content delivered in partnersgip with Travel Radar Media.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

NOAA Lockheed WP-3D ORION flying around Waterford.
    Are we about to get hit by a hurricane?:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

B777 from FCO to FRA currently descending into Dublin??

https://www.flightradar24.com/AZA9470/23d91bf0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Tabnabs wrote: »
    B777 from FCO to FRA currently descending into Dublin??

https://www.flightradar24.com/AZA9470/23d91bf0

FR updated there saying FCO to DUB now when i seen it at FCO to FRA myself, Would it be in for pax or paint?

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    FR updated there saying FCO to DUB now when i seen it at FCO to FRA myself, Would it be in for pax or paint?

Returning to lessor i’d say or cash flight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

poteen wrote: »
    Strange movement on this flight. 2 hrs out of Barcelona and dropping altitude And varying course just off Cork.

Diverting to Shannon, medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Strange movement on this flight. 2 hrs out of Barcelona and dropping altitude And varying course just off Cork.

Now dropped to 10,000 ft and heading towards Shannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

Would Cork Airport have been an option here ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would Cork Airport have been an option here ?

Assuming they didn't jettison fuel no, however the track over the sea suggests they may have.

A heavy 787 just off from Barcelona? Cork couldn't, nor would they have the emergency response required in cork for an overweight landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭poteen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Assuming they didn't jettison fuel no, however the track over the sea suggests they may have.

A heavy 787 just off from Barcelona? Cork couldn't, nor would they have the emergency response required in cork for an overweight landing.

Think its a 767. Anyway, she is on finals to SNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Ah yes, typo, a 767-400 nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for info.
    May i asuggest for next time you want to attach a screenshot here or anywhere online follow this basic friendly hint:

-open the window that you want to screenshot it
    -press and HOLD "ALT" key on the keyboard
    -then,while pressed, press "Print Screen" key on the keyboard
    -paste it in the sharing app

This way,only the active window / program is being captured and avoid sharing public all the tabs,programs,emails and other "non-avionics" stuff ! :)

Be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

Looks like the Irish Times sent a reporter to the scene to get a live snapshot of the situation in Shannon today. :)

Looks like the Irish Times sent a reporter to the scene to get a live snapshot of the situation in Shannon today. :)

"Reeling in the years" stuff. That photo must date from the 70s or the 80s. Last Aer Lingus B707 flight was in 1986 I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Comhra wrote: »
    "Reeling in the years" stuff. That photo must date from the 70s or the 80s. Last Aer Lingus B707 flight was in 1986 I believe.

I dont think thats a 707.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,753 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s an A330 in the original livery. See the winglets.

I dont think thats a 707.

Of course......should have gone to Specsavers :o. Saw the old livery and thought it was a B707 - never noticed only two engines of the A330. Those old Amtran L-1011s must date back to the 80s though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lots of retro liveries around these days :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement