Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Growler!!! wrote: »
    As far as I can see the 2 new Stobart ATR's are the only flights to depart ORK this morning (FMJ and FMK).

Can't find the FR902 has it left yet?

Stobarts left from RWY25, no jet aircraft have departed due to crosswind limits of RWY16/35 being exceeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Stobarts left from RWY25, no jet aircraft have departed due to crosswind limits of RWY16/35 being exceeded.

Rwy 17?

Any idea what the RJ's X wind limit is? It's a type I never really looked at much?

Rwy 17?

Stuck in limbo between the new and old runway numbers :)

Yes RWY17/35.

Stuck in limbo between the new and old runway numbers :)

Yes RWY17/35.

Ha ha you can't use that excuse yet. Not until after April:D then we'll all be confused for a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Any idea what the RJ's X wind limit is? It's a type I never really looked at much?

The attached brochure (no I'm not thinking of buying one but may have to if there's no other jobs available for me in 10 months time :D) says 35kts being the maximum demonstrated crosswind but I have seen in an accident report that it's 33 knots, which may be operator specific..

http://www.aviation-broker.com/uploads/media/RJ_Tech_data_at_a_glance__April_2004.pdf

Accident report, RJ almost went off-roading...

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/5422fceced915d13710008fd/dft_avsafety_pdf_501191.pdf

For anyone who may be wondering where exactly a waypoint is when traffic is routed towards one, this is a handy website that gives the coordinates and a map of the any waypoint.

http://opennav.com

You can make a good guess-timate from looking at FR24 but this site may prove useful for some. Just be careful with the spelling, and if you can't exactly make it out, remember many waypoint names contain five letters, two of which are vowels, so even if you can't hear it properly, it's possible that if you do a quick mental comprehension and juggling of sorts you'll end up with the right answer. Others may contain a mixture of letters and numbers.

(Of course, on the flight deck if unsure you will ask for the name to be spelt phonetically to avoid any confusion to avoid ending up somewhere you're not meant to be :pac:)

First wave Stobarts returning now to ORK. 1 go around and 1 landed. Pressures on!

The attached brochure (no I'm not thinking of buying one but may have to if there's no other jobs available for me in 10 months time :D) says 35kts being the maximum demonstrated crosswind but I have seen in an accident report that it's 33 knots, which may be operator specific..

http://www.aviation-broker.com/uploads/media/RJ_Tech_data_at_a_glance__April_2004.pdf

Accident report, RJ almost went off-roading...

https://assets.digital.cabinet-office.gov.uk/media/5422fceced915d13710008fd/dft_avsafety_pdf_501191.pdf

Nice brochure with lots of good info. The JAR fuel policy is nicely explained and should be stickied here for the journo info re " have they got enough fuel":D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 doodahump

bhx flew directly over runway and went around, aborted second attempt and going around again. Watched Manchester flight land - looked scary

• Advertisement

doodahump wrote: »
    bhx flew directly over runway and went around

Text book explaination of a go around right there.

Watched Manchester flight land - looked scary

Pics or it didn't happen:D:D

wow looks like its down but would not have liked to have been in that aeroplane!

Text book explaination of a go around right there.

dude I just happen to work in the airport business park and noticed the flight as I have a view of the ballygarvan approach here. no text book anything from me as im not an aviation buff,just noticed the thread on boards and as id seen the thing popped a comment in. apologies if im unqualified for this forum

dude I just happen to work in the airport business park and noticed the flight as I have a view of the ballygarvan approach here. no text book anything from me as im not an aviation buff,just noticed the thread on boards and as id seen the thing popped a comment in. apologies if im unqualified for this forum

You entirely misunderstood! It was a compliment.

For someone who is not an aviation buff you have described exactly what a go around is. You fly over the runway and climb away from the ground.

No need for apologies either, everyone on here started with 0 posts and learned from the other posters. It's refreshing to get new blood on the forum.

Can I suggest listening to Liveatc.com Cork feed and you'll hear the atc and pilot transmissions also.

Vlm12lw from Luton to Waterford diverting to Dublin, didn't even attempt an approach, I wouldn't blame them, trying to land that thing in Waterford with this wind and sea spray would be a real underpants changer! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭paulhardman

Can't find the FR902 has it left yet?

Looks like it went out to the runway, had a look, turned around and headed back to gate...

LEbJjWG.png

EI822 looking to give departure a go at ORK now, currently holding on runway 25 nose into wind, waiting for their opportunity.

Ah sorry - I guess you cant detect tone from a board message lol- had just downloaded the flightradar app and when I saw the bhx abort I had to check it out - amazing stuff really. Will check out the ATC - amazing you can actually listen in also! I remember back in the 80's a cousin of mine had some sort of a scanner to listen into the pilots. Used to amaze me as a kid. chances of getting any work done are zero now lol

You entirely misunderstood! It was a compliment.

For someone who is not an aviation buff you have described exactly what a go around is. You fly over the runway and climb away from the ground.

No need for apologies either, everyone on here started with 0 posts and learned from the other posters. It's refreshing to get new blood on the forum.

Can I suggest listening to Liveatc.com Cork feed and you'll hear the atc and pilot transmissions also.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭daelight

RYR5554 appears diverting to LPL from Cardiff?

OzM5hwP

Looks like MAN .. but wonder why they didn't try BRS as much closer to destination, or even BHX?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,318 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah sorry - I guess you cant detect tone from a board message lol- had just downloaded the flightradar app and when I saw the bhx abort I had to check it out - amazing stuff really. Will check out the ATC - amazing you can actually listen in also! I remember back in the 80's a cousin of mine had some sort of a scanner to listen into the pilots. Used to amaze me as a kid. chances of getting any work done are zero now lol

welcome to the forum. still have an old scanner stored away. no longer use it though as liveatc does the job. the new tech is fantastic. enjoy listening and learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

EI-EDY A330-300 just arriving back to Dublin now from maintenance in Bordeaux

daelight wrote: »
    RYR5554 appears diverting to LPL from Cardiff?

Looks like MAN .. but wonder why they didn't try BRS as much closer to destination, or even BHX?

BRS has the same wind, BHX has an awkward runway angle. Pilots select their alternative before every takeoff, influenced by weather conditions, distance, runway, company preference and operational logistics to name a few. Why do ORK flights so often divert to SNN and not KIR?

Why do ORK flights so often divert to SNN and not KIR?

I'd imagine that in SNN airlines have good ground crews and a good availability of alternative transport for pax etc. KIR, whilst having a perfectly long runway, ILS, and runway orientation favouring the prevailing winds in Ireland, has very limited ground operations for more than one commercial aircraft at a time. Also, KIR closes every night at 20:15, so if a flight does divert in there late in the evening, it's staying there until 0600 the following morning until the airport opens again.

I'd imagine that in SNN airlines have good ground crews and a good availability of alternative transport for pax etc. KIR, whilst having a perfectly long runway, ILS, and runway orientation favouring the prevailing winds in Ireland, has very limited ground operations for more than one commercial aircraft at a time. Also, KIR closes every night at 20:15, so if a flight does divert in there late in the evening, it's staying there until 0600 the following morning until the airport opens again.

It was a rhetorical question.
    But you did fulfil it perfectly, all the reasons above are examples of why certain airports are picked as alternates, and others not.

Another thing worth considering during a weather event is that you are usually not the only aircraft affected. Therefore your ideal planned alternate can be full of already diverted aircraft and there will simply not be enough room for you.

Time to check your second alternate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

http://www.flightradar24.com/N212AZ/8c2464f
    Private ATR 42 into Shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

http://www.flightradar24.com/N212AZ/8c2464f
    Private ATR 42 into Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Lustrum

30kts max crosswind for take off for the whisper jet (RJ), 35 is the landing limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Haven't seen a Lufty classic in a while :)
    http://www.flightradar24.com/DLH980/8c2a1c9

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement