Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flightradar24 Thread Part III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Its was at 36,000 ft.. Which give or take a head/tail wind (airspeed) is over Mach 1. (Mach 1 at 35,000 ft is 570ish Knts)

Unless the aircraft's Machmeter was reading Mach 1 at FL360, it wasn't travelling at M=1. More likely it was in same range as a large jet airliner, as the examples I gave suggest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Its was at 36,000 ft.. Which give or take a head/tail wind (airspeed) is over Mach 1. (Mach 1 at 35,000 ft is 570ish Knts)

It also depends on humidity etc.

"The 747-400, the most common passenger version in service, has a high-subsonic cruise speed of Mach 0.85–0.855"

So, the AIRSPEED is 0.85 to 0.855, so BELOW the speed of sound, deliberately, as there are a significant number of issues that cause massive problems if the airspeed exceeds Mach 1, and due to localised effects on the airframe, an aircraft that marginally exceeds the VMO speed can end up with supersonic turbulence and shock waves around it, which can upset the trim, and flight of the aircraft, possibly catastrophically. I am open to correction on this, the fastest cruise speed of a subsonic jet that I am aware of is the Citation X, which cruises at 0.92. Since the retirement of Concorde, there are no civilian aircraft that can operate supersonically.

The GROUNDSPEED may well be above the speed of sound, due to the effect of a significant tailwind if the aircraft is in a jetstream, but despite that, the aircraft is NOT operating supersonically.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

So, the AIRSPEED is 0.85 to 0.855, so BELOW the speed of sound, deliberately, as there are a significant number of issues that cause massive problems if the airspeed exceeds Mach 1, and due to localised effects on the airframe, an aircraft that marginally exceeds the VMO speed can end up with supersonic turbulence and shock waves around it, which can upset the trim, and flight of the aircraft, possibly catastrophically. I am open to correction on this, the fastest cruise speed of a subsonic jet that I am aware of is the Citation X, which cruises at 0.92. Since the retirement of Concorde, there are no civilian aircraft that can operate supersonically.

The GROUNDSPEED may well be above the speed of sound, due to the effect of a significant tailwind if the aircraft is in a jetstream, but despite that, the aircraft is NOT operating supersonically.

This was a military jet.. Safe to say it was at Mach 1 +.

Clocked it at 620 Knts but was not quick enough to screen shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

This was a military jet.. Safe to say it was at Mach 1 +.

Clocked it at 620 Knts but was not quick enough to screen shot.

Pointless to reason with this sort of "logic".

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Pointless to reason with this sort of "logic".

Indeed. I won't be bothering to try and clarify the difference between airspeed and groundspeed any more in this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Stobart ATR doing circuits in Shannon, some new crew being trained in, callsign ending in T.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

https://www.flightradar24.com/b86c5e3

This just flew over my house, having departed Dublin to a mystery location. I can't say that I've ever heard of Avmax Group before. Then again, I'm sure they could be more regular here than I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

Trebor176 wrote: »
    https://www.flightradar24.com/b86c5e3

This just flew over my house, having departed Dublin to a mystery location. I can't say that I've ever heard of Avmax Group before. Then again, I'm sure they could be more regular here than I think.

She's ferried Transatlantic over the past few days out of Montreal.

Avmax are a massive lessor of Bombardier aircraft, so it may be going out on a lease. They also do charter airline work in both Canada and Chad, as well as engineering.

ETA: She appears to have been in storage since 2014, after a lot of her career spent in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭Trebor176

She's ferried Transatlantic over the past few days out of Montreal.

Avmax are a massive lessor of Bombardier aircraft, so it may be going out on a lease. They also do charter airline work in both Canada and Chad, as well as engineering.

ETA: She appears to have been in storage since 2014, after a lot of her career spent in China.

Thanks for the info :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Diverting

U22295 from London to Reykjavik http://fr24.com/EZY2295/b8824ca

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

KoolKid wrote: »
    Diverting

U22295 from London to Reykjavik http://fr24.com/EZY2295/b8824ca

Must be a medical, anything tech I'd have assumed they'd have gone to EDI or GLA where they'd have engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Whats the craic with the cityjet Avro always showing as if they have just taxied into a field??

Just seen one take off yet on FR it was in a field near where the rescue heli is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Whats the craic with the cityjet Avro always showing as if they have just taxied into a field??

Just seen one take off yet on FR it was in a field near where the rescue heli is

Their Avro's don't have the best/any ADB-S radar's on them ensuring that they appear to land everywhere except the airport on FR24.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Their Avro's don't have the best/any ADB-S radar's on them ensuring that they appear to land everywhere except the airport on FR24.

Ah I see.....they did work for a short time but now its anyones guess where they actually are

Icelandair TF-FIK Boeing 757 just landed in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭Comhrá

There's a bit of a gremlin with FR24 and Shannon. I heard it's something to do with the relatively low elevation of the airfield and subsequent poor reception of ADB-S. If you watch other aircraft landing, they sometimes appear to overshoot Runway 24 and go on a rampage through the estuary before eventually disappearing altogether. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭arubex

JCX BXC wrote: »

And Eurocontrol only mandates ADS-B Out from June 2020 for the category of older aircraft including Cityjet's RJs, so Mr Byrne's not going to waste money fitting it.

Re: the DH8C C-FBZS:

Going to fly with Cemair in South Africa.

arubex wrote: »
    And Eurocontrol only mandates ADS-B Out from June 2020 for the category of older aircraft including Cityjet's RJs, so Mr Byrne's not going to waste money fitting it

My understanding was ADS-B was to be fitted to all aircraft in Europe by 2017 or have a taken it up completely wrong!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Just saw the AN 124 landing at Shannon, anyone one when it is due to take off again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Aer Lingus 757 Shannon to New York has turned back to Shannon.
    Anyone know why?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

arubex wrote: »
    And Eurocontrol only mandates ADS-B Out from June 2020 for the category of older aircraft including Cityjet's RJs, so Mr Byrne's not going to waste money fitting it

My understanding was ADS-B was to be fitted to all aircraft in Europe by 2017 or have a taken it up completely wrong!!
    From elsewhere

The industrial stakeholders, both ground and airborne, have had problems with being ready to comply with the implementation of Commission Implementing Regulation (EU)No 1207/2011. This regulation is about the implementation dates for ADS-B out and Mode S enhanced downlink of data from the Aircraft to the ground. Compliance date was December 2017. The postponement date is 7th of June 2020

In order to achieve a retrofit of all aircraft by 2020 will require around 100 retrofits per week. If we would maintain the 2017 date it would be around 400 aircrafts per week, which is unrealistic.
    Even the 2020 plan is ambitious.

jimbis wrote: »
    Aer Lingus 757 Shannon to New York has turned back to Shannon.
    Anyone know why?

Not showing on Flight Radar at present, it's possibly a glitch with FR24, which are becoming increasingly regular and frustrating, or they've had some form of technical issue which means a return to solve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭jimbis

Landed now. Heard a passenger injured their head somehow. Not sure how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

davo2001 wrote: »
    Just saw the AN 124 landing at Shannon, anyone one when it is due to take off again?

3 in the morning :(

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭decskelligs

Snowc wrote: »
    3 in the morning :(

The shannon airport spotters fb page is saying 10am.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

The shannon airport spotters fb page is saying 10am.

It's 1000 all going according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

BZ wrote: »
    It's 1000 all going according to plan.

New ETD 1030

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

BZ wrote: »
    New ETD 1030

Which runway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

davo2001 wrote: »
    Which runway?

Wind appears to currently favour RWY06 by a small margin.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement