Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do people want to put in their shopping baskets

Options
  • 02-02-2016 3:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭

Given we all do some form of physical activity on this board and often deprive ourselves of "nice things" leading up to and during race season, what would people like to put into their shopping basket that's guilt free and healthy?

Looking at launching some new healthy consumable goods given the latest trends in the health & wellness sector. All suggestions welcome, the wackier the better, you may even see it on a shelf next year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

Kale flavoured avocado

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

something i can have with a cup of tea that wont make me fat if i have the whole packet....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I'd like a range of dehydrated foods that I can get online without paying massive shipping costs and that don't taste like sh!t :)

I got some packs from expedition foods for the Beast last year and the shepherds pie was lovely but the porridge was bleugh and I think it cost about 20 sterling to get them sent to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Cous-cous ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

MD1983 wrote: »
    something i can have with a cup of tea that wont make me fat if i have the whole packet....

Something like a healthy bar that could also refuel and assist with recovery after a hard training session?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

€2 Quest Bars

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The problem I find with a lot of the healthier stuff is the price, can be expensive.

I do like the new 'nakd' bars I've seen around. All natural ingredients and actualy taste nice. Something like that that is handy to have as a snack.

Other than that a gel or sports energy bar that actually tastes nice and doesn't turn my stomach inside out! If you can sort that I'll have a box of each!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Something like a healthy bar that could also refuel and assist with recovery after a hard training session?

yeh that would be a good excuse to eat it ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

sconhome wrote: »
    Cous-cous ;)

There are many, many reasons why cous cous is on the banned list :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

beef jerky that was both reasonably priced and you didn't need to order in 5kg batches.

could walk into any store while living in the US and buy a bag of it, and choose from multiple flavours. here, unless you buy online, nada.

make it happen JB. Now. make it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

bananas from canary island

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 for beef jerky
    +1 for more affordable expedition foods

A good deal for for goodness chocolate shakes

Stop ripping us off for fresh fruit.

Chocolate crunchy peanut butter (peanut & Co quality) recovery bars that don't taste mank

Dried Banana, avocado and coconut energy balls

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I remember a kilo of Luxury mixed nuts were 10.95 in H&B. They are 24euro now.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Almond butter that doesn't cost €24 per kg :(

Like Joey, I love the nakd bars but they could be more substantial. Those chocolatey, datey, nutty, coconutty balls of goodness that people are making these days are great but you can't buy them anywhere if you haven't made a batch.

Also, nutritious quick meals. Something simple like pasta, pesto, chicken, peas, sweetcorn and pine nuts with no additives that you can grab and go if you're in a rush and don't have access to a kitchen.

Like Joey, I love the nakd bars but they could be more substantial. Those chocolatey, datey, nutty, coconutty balls of goodness that people are making these days are great but you can't buy them anywhere if you haven't made a batch.

Also, nutritious quick meals. Something simple like pasta, pesto, chicken, peas, sweetcorn and pine nuts with no additives that you can grab and go if you're in a rush and don't have access to a kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Neady83 wrote: »

Actually... seeing loads of these bounce and nakd bars all over the place. Every shop and forecourt seems to have them along with protein and energy bars.

I'm not sure if this is a sign of stop offs for cyclists or our nations drivers are "eating healthy" by chomping on protein bars instead of mars bars.

i've two options i've found. both in the supervalu down the road from the new job.

hiro by roisin, noodles, really tasty, had the chicken stir fry yesterday and very tasty. http://www.hirobyroisin.com/

and cool beans, had the chilli flavour, really really nice. http://www.coolbeans.ie/

3 or 4 minutes in the microwave and done. had them for lunch, both were enough on their own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Some food for thought...see what i did there. Keep them coming, you may see some of this in the supermarkets next year.

you're doing well. usually marketing has to pay for discussion groups like this..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

JB, is the sole purpose of this thread to try and justify to your IT guys why you spend half of your day on boards? "its market research...... i promise!"? :)

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    i've two options i've found. both in the supervalu down the road from the new job.

hiro by roisin, noodles, really tasty, had the chicken stir fry yesterday and very tasty. http://www.hirobyroisin.com/

and cool beans, had the chilli flavour, really really nice. http://www.coolbeans.ie/

3 or 4 minutes in the microwave and done. had them for lunch, both were enough on their own

Thanks Mossy, I tried the Cool Beans at the TriTalking event I was at last week and they were nommy but I haven't been able to source then in Supervalu yet.

Will go hunting for Hiro this weekend. I remember her from the apprentice. Cool girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Thanks Mossy, I tried the Cool Beans at the TriTalking event I was at last week and they were nommy but I haven't been able to source then in Supervalu yet.

Will go hunting for Hiro this weekend. I remember her from the apprentice. Cool girl.

Let me know if you find either of them in Galway. I'll check SV in Clareglaway on my way home later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Let me know if you find either of them in Galway. I'll check SV in Clareglaway on my way home later.

Was very sorry to see Roisin voted off in the apprentice, great looking girl - You are as well off to check Flynns Supervalu Paul as that would be right up Emma and Julians alley as they are both big into the fitness - probably more so than the Hughes brothers anyways :D

I will say it to him on friday if they don't, I complained a few years back to him that all he had was Budweiser and Heineken bottles for my friday night barbecues - beautiful selection of Erdinger for me the following friday

on the noodles and beans, i only tried the beans as the first day i went in to get the noodles they didn't have them, and i had seen them there a couple of days before.

i take that as a good sign that they food is fresh so not left on the shelves (both have use by dates measured in days not weeks or even worse months).

the supervalu i mentioned has stuff from the happy pear as well so they obviously are catering to the healthy bunch. Bit surprising really as i don't meet many down here training at lunch and i get some very strange looks while out running

catweazle wrote: »
    Was very sorry to see Roisin voted off in the apprentice, great looking girl

didn't even know she was on the apprentice till i went looking for the website today. but given I've never watched an episode that's hardly surprising

catweazle wrote: »
    Was very sorry to see Roisin voted off in the apprentice, great looking girl - You are as well off to check Flynns Supervalu Paul as that would be right up Emma and Julians alley as they are both big into the fitness - probably more so than the Hughes brothers anyways :D

I will say it to him on friday if they don't, I complained a few years back to him that all he had was Budweiser and Heineken bottles for my friday night barbecues - beautiful selection of Erdinger for me the following friday

Claregalway can be pretty good. They have plenty of the Kinsale and Happy Pear stuff amongst others. I'm assuming it's the influence of the triathlete wife ;)

Both products available in SV Claregalway. Have the noodles for today. They better be good mossy!!! :D

Both products available in SV Claregalway. Have the noodles for today. They better be good mossy!!! :D

sucker..:)

i really liked them. not as much as the beans, but the noodles were lovely

mossym wrote: »
    sucker..:)

i really liked them. not as much as the beans, but the noodles were lovely

O has the beans for lunch so I'll get feedback on those this evening

• Advertisement

O has the beans for lunch so I'll get feedback on those this evening

don't make the mistake i made. no showers at the new job, so babywipes wash after lunchtime run. was still trying to cool down and trying best not to sweat. tucked into the piping hot beans which have a nice kick to them.

does not help with a no sweating attempt. believe me!!

Advertisement