Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pet Insurance: Tell us your quote/renewals.

• 02-02-2016 3:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭

I got my Golden Retriever pup in March last year and decided to take out insurance for him. I paid €178.30 with 123.ie. Just got the renewal and it is for €235.36.

After I’d already taken it out last year I got his paperwork back from The Kennel Club (UK) with a notice of pet insurance reductions for members. I didn’t look into it at the time as I already had insurance but now I’ll be checking on it but I may need a UK address to avail of it.

Either way following their hike in quotes for car insurance I’ll be giving it a miss. I also have my house insured with 123.ie. If I can get a deal on car and home I’ll be glad; throw in my dog and I’ll be ecstatic. :D

• Dog: Golden Retriever.
    • Kennel Club Registered.
    • Chipped.
    • No claims.
    • Original cover: €178.30
    • Renewal: €235.36.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

I got my Golden Retriever pup in March last year and decided to take out insurance for him. I paid €178.30 with 123.ie. Just got the renewal and it is for €235.36.

After I’d already taken it out last year I got his paperwork back from The Kennel Club (UK) with a notice of pet insurance reductions for members. I didn’t look into it at the time as I already had insurance but now I’ll be checking on it but I may need a UK address to avail of it.

Either way following their hike in quotes for car insurance I’ll be giving it a miss. I also have my house insured with 123.ie. If I can get a deal on car and home I’ll be glad; throw in my dog and I’ll be ecstatic. :D

• Chipped.
    • No claims.

that's not a bad price at all... Ive been paying €336 with Allianz for my cocker for the past 10 years... he started out at €210.

Either way compared to the amount a claim could cost you its very little really. Personally I wouldn't be without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

• Chipped.
    • No claims.

Just be careful - one cut paw requiring stitches and you'll run probably have paid the renewal. Also pet insurance is best to have from day one or you won't be covered for anything that could be seen as pre-existing...which depending on the company could be anything

2 year old Golden Retriever - €230.87 no increase between 2014 and 2015. Claims - poked holes in both eyes - one with a grass seed one with a stick (:eek:), sliced paw requiring 8-10 stitches

6 year old retriever - €429 - increase of €8 between 2014 and 2015 with a €2400 claim in 2015. Too many things to list but €9500 in claims in total since the policy was taken out when he was a baba!

So yes I'm an advocate of insurance :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I pay around €535 for my girls. They are 7 and 8 rescue labs. When I had my 3 girls I paid around €1000 a year. When my oldest passed away our premium slashed. She was on a lot of medication which was costing around €70 per month. We have claimed well over €10k I would say possibly more maybe €15k. Too many to list but removing cataracts in both eyes was a huge cost. My 8 year old girl never claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Here's what came with my pup: 6 weeks free insurance with a reduction if you keep the policy when the time is up. I couldn't have this as not in the UK. A eukanuba puppy starter pack which I wanted as the breeder was feeding eukanuba, again eukanuba told me I could not have is as not in the UK. Also a £5 voucher for Eukanuba which two pet shops in NI would not accept.

OP if you are doing to defraud a UK insurance company by using a UK address you are also going to need a full UK veterinary history in the event of a claim so you will have to take your dog to a vet in NI for routine appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

<Snip>OP if you are doing to defraud a UK insurance company by using a UK address you are also going to need a full UK veterinary history in the event of a claim so you will have to take your dog to a vet in NI for routine appointments.

No I'm not defrauding anybody but a bad choice of words on my part. I too got the Eukanuba vouchers and on the Kennel Club website is the option for reduced insurance (only 50% for 2 months anyway). I just meant as I do not have an address in the UK then they would not cover me in the Republic and having checked, The Kennel Club insurers (Agria) do not.

So far a few insurance companies offering Blue Insurance with these prices.

1vZ6YM7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Blue are relatively new so there's no proper feedback yet from customers who have claimed on how they found them to deal with. That would be my only concern about them. Maybe their prices are lower as they are still trying to break in to market and attract customers. It's not normally advised to change with pet insurance once you have started for reasons all ready stated so I imagine their pets are relatively young so low claims to pay out so far which may also be keeping their prices low.

I don't have pet insurance but if I was getting it I would go with my own vet's recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

If I can get a deal on car and home I’ll be glad; throw in my dog and I’ll be ecstatic. :D

For car & house I got a deal with Bank of Ireland insurance that beat everyone else hands down.

For the dog (very similar to yours) I got it for €192 with Allianz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭eoin.d

Just trying for insurance for my 10 month old rottie. First place would not insure rottweilers. Second place is looking for 370. This seems alot to me. She has had no previous medical conditions and all vaccinations up todate what do you think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

eoin.d wrote: »
    Just trying for insurance for my 10 month old rottie. First place would not insure rottweilers. Second place is looking for 370. This seems alot to me. She has had no previous medical conditions and all vaccinations up todate what do you think

Rotties are on the high profile breeds when it comes to insuring so you will pay that bit extra. There are 2 that will definitely insure, Allianz is one, which i highly recommend or there is another which we aren't allowed to name, and my Rottie is insured with them. I would highly recommend you get insurance asap as one of my Rotties has had Cruciate repair surgery before Christmas and the bill so far is close to 3000 euro but thankfully was covered by the insurance so i wouldn't delay in getting it sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I don't know how useful it is to compare quotes/premiums as each one is factored on the dog's breed and age. Your premium will always increase year on year because the dog is aging and therefore at a greater risk of developing a disease.

• Advertisement
Advertisement